Greasing the Kingpin

gsbainter

Hey Everyone,

I bought a teflon pad that went up on my kingpin so I don't have to grease the saddle. People I talked to said that it works great. Have pulled with it once so far, and it did work good. I have a question though. What about the Kingpin. Do I have to grease it? Or just leave it be?

Thanks,

vangoes

I just squirt mine with some dry lube and move on. Towed it about 15,000 miles so far and no issues. The lube plate is the key!!!!!

Goldenwingers

goldenwingers
Am not sure if the kingpin requires greese or not but I always spray mine with lithium greese when I hook up. If it moves lube it, Can't hurt. I also use the Teflon Pad.

Don

gsbainter

Thanks all for your responses. I have a can of Lithium grease that I used on my TT. I might go ahead and spray a little on the king pin when I hook up. Can't hurt other than be greasy.

WRIGHT ll

retired Oklahoma Chapter Leaders
I have a can of wheel bearing grease that I've been using for several years and a couple years ago I bought a new one for pennies, so I decided to use the old stuff for the kingpin. I always apply some before a trip and it lasts until we get home. One advantage to the wheel bearing grease is the it doesn't drip when the weather gets hot. I just brush a little bit on and hook up and go.

charliehorse

Teflon pad

" for what it is worth" - Pullright says to NOT use a teflon pad - their hitch design is a little diferent and sooo close that the pad can interfer with a smooth hitch up & un hitch. Yes it does ! - if you are not perfectly level it can easily contribute to a "high hitch" - so Pullright owners i would suggest to leave off the teflon pad. i just squirt some WD-40 in the pin and hitch prior to couple-up - works just fine .....

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
I also use the teflon pad and no grease. I have a 16k Reese and found out when I had the hitch out that there are points under where the mechanism is that need periodic lubricating.

Oldlthrneck

Just an Old Jarhead
I put a light coat of grease on the king pin. Just too old school, I guess. When there are two pieces of metal rubbing, I can't sleep without grease on it. lol
Fred

thomasinnv

i would absolutely grease the pin. i didn't grease mine at first and it caused the slide bar to mushroom from the surfaces rubbing together with no lube. i had to file the edges off to get the slide to operate freely again. greased it up and put several thousand miles on it without another occurrence. so speaking from experience, it absolutely should be greased.