Chassis Corrosion on a new 2009 Sundance 2900MK

Flying Dutchman

Virginia Chapter Leaders - Retired
Major disappointment yesterday when I refused acceptance on my new Sundance after conducting PDI. Every piece of metal on the chassis visible underneath such as pipes, U-bolts and nuts on axles, including all 3 slide mechanism, was rusted or coroded from salt and water exposure. After bringing this to the attention of the dealer, he stated that the unit was delivered this past March, and was exposed to wintry road conditions (i.e. salt treated) during delivery. Aparently the unit was not pressure washed and cleaned afterwards.

The good news, I will get another Sundance the dealer had already ordered and is expected to arrive at his lot tomorrow, so I will go through the PDI on Wednesday and hopefully all will be well.

Has anyone else encountered such a problem of corosion. I looked underneath other trailers the dealer had on the lot, and they all looked pristine and new. Is it advisable to apply undercoating to the unit to prevent such corosion?, or is it just better common sense to stay off the road when wintry weather is present, both for safety and equipment preservation.

Westwind

Chassis Corrosion

It is very common to find Chassis Corrosion on new trailers,
especially if they are delivered when the highways are covered
with chemicals used to melt snow and ice.
I would recommend painting the new chassis and under
chassis components after taking delivery. I know this sounds
dumb, but you will be happy you did.
A few 4 season, expensive towable rv manufacturers
coat their chassis with coatings that might retard rust
etc. but after a few years it will need care and painting.
You were right in refusing acceptance of that trailer.

arekced

Rust

I would like to suggest 3M undercoating in a spray can. You can purchase this at any auto parts store. Cost is roughly 10.00 per can and you will need 8-9 cans. I once used this on a 23 ft travel trailer I owned, the product pleased me so much that I used it again when I purchased my 2008 Sundance. I sprayed everything on the underside, (expandos included,) right down to the screw heads that held up the plastic corragated shield on the bottom side. I might add that it is a messy job due to your being upside down and spraying over head. It will stop rust and it can be appied more then once over any area that loses it protective shield from a former application.

jonesj2

Yes we have a 2009 2900MK, had and still have the same problem. I am going to start working on removing all of the rust this spring and doing a POR15 coating. I was really disapointed when the factory would not stand behind the rust problems.

Other than the rust we love this vehicle and would purchase another.

Check out the link below and you will see the rust issue went on for 4 pages.

//heartlandowners.org/showthread.php?t=5731&highlight=jonesj2

laffman

Yes we have a 2009 2900MK, had and still have the same problem. I am going to start working on removing all of the rust this spring and doing a POR15 coating.

Jim,

Read the instruction for POR-15 carefully. It only bonds to rust so you don't want to remove the existing rust. If the metal is rust-free, you need to use a POR-15 product called Metal Ready. It causes the metal to oxidize. If you don’t, the POR-15 paint won’t adhere to the metal and will peel. Also don’t forget chassis paint over the POR-15. POR-15 will fade if exposed to UV rays.

I sandblasted my Jeep frame and underbody and applied POR-15. Stuff is tough as nails. I’ve dragged the frame over rocks while off-roading. Scrapped the chassis paint off but the POR-15 didn’t give. No chips or exposed metal after the trip.

jonesj2

Tim, thanks for the info, you are right about the rust and the POR-15. I will be starting this project here within the next month or so. I so much dread it as this will be a big project but well worth it when completed.