Bunk bed ladder?

Cruiseaz

I just bought a Fuel 305 Toyhauler from CW in Avondale, AZ. Sales guy says they don't come with a ladder to access the top bunk in the back. Seems asinine to me that a RV mfr would ship out/sell a unit with bunk beds and NO ladder to use them. I was wondering what others had experienced with their toy hauler purchases?
Cruiseaz in Chandler, AZ

ATM

Same thing with our Torque, no ladder for the top bunk from the manufacturer. We had the dealer include one as part of the deal. Took two trips back to the dealer as it seem there are two length of bunk ladders. Other things to watch for that should be included but not always; spare tire, propane tanks and batteries.

Cruiseaz

Thanks for the input. I may just get a small step ladder that I can use for other things around the trailer/camp. CW did cover the spare, LP tanks full, new battery, etc., but their repair of some kind of wiring snafu was atrocious. I spent the best part of a day tearing that apart and doing it the right way. Their attention to detail leaves quite a lot to be desired. I probably would have gone elsewhere to buy, but couldn't find this floor plan in AZ.
Cruiseaz

Lynn1130

This has been a common complaint for several years and at the bottom of the page (Similar Threads) you will see what others have done. I just bought a three step ladder/stool at Costco and it does fine. We need something so that my 5'3" wife could reach the upper cabinets anyway.

NYSUPstater

This has been a common complaint for several years and at the bottom of the page (Similar Threads) you will see what others have done. I just bought a three step ladder/stool at Costco and it does fine. We need something so that my 5'3" wife could reach the upper cabinets anyway.

No bunks here, but want to add to the last part of this quote on the height of cabinets. What in the world are these designers thinking? My Mom would say "Must've been designed by a man". How in world do they expect folks to reach into these things? I know they are making use of the space, but come on, let's be reasonable. I'm 5'7" and have trouble reaching into the ones over the couch. In some floorplans, cabinets in the kitchen are up to the ceiling? WTH? :confused::confused::confused:

Lynn1130

cabinets in the kitchen are up to the ceiling?

I am with you on that one but I do have mixed feelings about it. In one case it is storage, that you never seem to have enough of in a trailer but on the other hand trying to get to it is a pain, literally.

WillyBill

No bunks here, but want to add to the last part of this quote on the height of cabinets. What in the world are these designers thinking? My Mom would say "Must've been designed by a man". How in world do they expect folks to reach into these things? I know they are making use of the space, but come on, let's be reasonable. I'm 5'7" and have trouble reaching into the ones over the couch. In some floorplans, cabinets in the kitchen are up to the ceiling? WTH? :confused::confused::confused:

We LOVE having the cabinets all the way to the ceiling - doubles our storage and it's used for things we don't need every day or large/seasonal items. Extra storage is #1 criteria in an RV - especially a toy hauler. Take out 40% of your cabinets out and see if your wife will still go camping with ya - better pack your doghouse - lol.

WB

LBR

Easy fix......you could just use the cabinets and shelves you can reach without using the infamous 3' Costco stepladder. Take everything out of those overhead cupboards/shelves and pile it all in cupboards you can reach.

Lynn1130

the infamous 3' Costco stepladder

Nope. I need the step ladder too. Even at 5"10 (probably shorter now due to back surgery) I still cannot reach the stove/microwave vent flap locks well enough to open or lock them, as well as working on the awning drop shade and other items so just as well not add more junk to the inside. And as far as storage goes, once we had everything we thought we needed inside, if something new is added something old and of about the same weight must go. That does not always work but with a trailer the more junk, the more weight, and the less space.

danemayer

Think about the alternatives.

1) lower the ceiling and the cabinets with it. Cabinets would be accessible, but you'd feel like you were in a cave.
2) leave the ceiling alone and lower the cabinets. Empty space wasted above the cabinets.
3) Use larger cabinets that come down lower. You could reach the lower part but the upper part would be wasted space. And you might have some windows that are smaller, letting in less light. And the larger cabinets might overshadow the overall decor.

Is there an alternative that you think would work well for most people?

BLR

I'm 5'4" and I have no problem with my cabinets or the loft..
My 3' step ladder probably gets used 5 or 6 times a day..

The struggles are real..haha

Sent from BLR Logistics

BLR

In a toyhauler? I find that very hard to believe if you are in-fact in a TH. I can reach but not remove things from some of the higher cabinets at 5'10".
Did you not read??
I said I use my 3' step ladder at least 5 to 6 times a day..
Yes we are in a Cyclone fulltime..

Sent from BLR Logistics

Lynn1130

Yes, I read it and then reread it and deleted the post I made because I did not read it well the first time so jeez, sorry. Do you see the old post? Not

And actually the post was deleted inside of 60 seconds.

Anyone know who makes a 72 or 76" ladder? I tried the one above and it didn't even reach the floor. :O) I extended it to 66 or 68" (See pics) but it's not quite at as much of an
angle 12" away) as I'd like and the first rung is now 'wicked' high. :)

I can easily make the ladder higher but that would exacerbate the rung issue.
I could go back to a 60" ladder and lower the bed rest/stop (I really don't want to do this), add a rung (I can but can't figure out how to make it look nice).
If somebody made a 72" ladder that would be my ideal solution.

:)

Thanks,

- - - Updated - - -

On another note, does anybody know how to prevent upload from rotating the pics 90 degrees or editing it after
the fact? Once in a while it rotates my pics. :O)?

Attachments

• IMG_6924.jpg
    IMG_6924.jpg
    119.2 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG_6925.jpg
    IMG_6925.jpg
    108.1 KB · Views: 40

pjones1969

We have a 4 foot step ladder for the bunks that we can also use for other things and then we have a 2 step step stool that gets used quite often for garage overhead cabinets and interior pantry top shelf access