How to tighten Happijac chain and adjust headroom for upper bunk?

Hi Campers,
One of our Happijac chains is looser than the other and has started catching on a bolt when it goes up or down. Does anyone know how to take the slack out of it. I have emailed that question to them since their listed phone does not work.

Also, we wanted to adjust the top bunk to give a little more headroom for the A/C up there. Has anyone just drilled lower holes for the pins and would you leave it there when you travel or would it move too much going down the road.

Thanks,
Cindy

jeffdee

It has been several years ago that I did this but the best I can remember, there is a pulley at the bottom of each channel that can take the slack out of each chain. It was not difficult to do.

“Re: Electric beds in garage
There are four straight pins (similar to the ones outside on the ladder to the roof) that hold the top bunk near the ceiling and allow only the lower bunk to come down. These holes are in the four tracks near the top for these pins to pass though.

Keep a close inspection of the four tracks. Another cyclone owner said that his tracks pulled from the wall because the mounting bolts were stripped and pulled out. I inspected mine today and they are still tight. However, one chain came off the bottom take up pulley because the nut, washer and rubber grommet were improperly installed. It caught my attention because the chain was loose and was slapping inside the track housing. I made the repairs myself rather than taking it in for warranty.”

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks. Lippert (they now own Happijac) did actually call my husband back and told him about the pulley at the bottom of each track. He just needed to adjust the bolt to tighten the chain. He was also told to drill new holes for the pins under the top bunk in order to lower it for more headroom. He did warn against driving with it in that position because it puts stress on the rig in places that it was not designed for. I would think this could cause the chain channel to pull away from the wall as others have mentioned.

It has been several years ago that I did this but the best I can remember, there is a pulley at the bottom of each channel that can take the slack out of each chain. It was not difficult to do.

“Re: Electric beds in garage
There are four straight pins (similar to the ones outside on the ladder to the roof) that hold the top bunk near the ceiling and allow only the lower bunk to come down. These holes are in the four tracks near the top for these pins to pass though.

Keep a close inspection of the four tracks. Another cyclone owner said that his tracks pulled from the wall because the mounting bolts were stripped and pulled out. I inspected mine today and they are still tight. However, one chain came off the bottom take up pulley because the nut, washer and rubber grommet were improperly installed. It caught my attention because the chain was loose and was slapping inside the track housing. I made the repairs myself rather than taking it in for warranty.”

Lynn1130

Sounds like you have this solved but just in case here is a visual of the lower adjustment nut for the system.

Attachments

• Instructions for middle trolley.pdf
    812.8 KB · Views: 147

abergdoll

Thanks. Lippert (they now own Happijac) did actually call my husband back and told him about the pulley at the bottom of each track. He just needed to adjust the bolt to tighten the chain. He was also told to drill new holes for the pins under the top bunk in order to lower it for more headroom. He did warn against driving with it in that position because it puts stress on the rig in places that it was not designed for. I would think this could cause the chain channel to pull away from the wall as others have mentioned.
Did you have to take the bed and dinnette off the chain to tighten the chain? One side of mine is loose and the dinnete is now uneven. Didn’t know if I could tighten it with the bed and dinnete still attached to the chain.
Thanks so much!!