What and how is my underbelly heated and what is the trailer rated at in cold weather

PUG

Pug
I have an 09 model 3950 and use it some in the winter. I have added numerous frame clips and spray in insulation foam to seal leaks in the underbelly. The unit is advertised at having a heated basement. What and how is it heated and what is the trailer rated at in cold weather. Please answer.

jbeletti

Yes they do. Not in real time however and not over the weekend. Give it a few days into next week. Also, never ever be frustrated by posting a note in the ATF and not hearing back as soon as you wanted. Feel free to pick up the phone and chat with a Customer Service rep by calling 877-262-8032.

Thanks,

Jim

Mike Aplin

Thank you for your question on the heated and enclosed underbellies. First of all, all Cyclones are enclosed with a fluted polypropelyne material that also helps with the aerodynamics of the coach. We also have heat that runs off of the plenum in the underbelly located at the tank locations to blow furnace heat directly onto the tanks. I hope this helps answer your question. Take care.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Thank you for your question on the heated and enclosed underbellies. First of all, all Cyclones are enclosed with a fluted polypropelyne material that also helps with the aerodynamics of the coach. We also have heat that runs off of the plenum in the underbelly located at the tank locations to blow furnace heat directly onto the tanks. I hope this helps answer your question. Take care.
Mike, the original poster was also looking for a rating, I assume regarding temperature. Is there any info relating to this? Thanks.

Mike Aplin

We do not post any guaranteed temperatures that a unit is rated for. As long as the customer runs their furnace, the coach will be the most protected to the elements. You need to run the furnace to help protect the tanks and lines during colder weather.

leftyf

SSG Stumpy-VA Terrorist
We do not post any guaranteed temperatures that a unit is rated for. As long as the customer runs their furnace, the coach will be the most protected to the elements. You need to run the furnace to help protect the tanks and lines during colder weather.

But, how much does the furnace need to be run? I know this is a how high is up question.:eek:

thanks

Mike Aplin

The colder the temperature outside, the higher one would need to run their furnace. For maximum protection, a furnace would have to be set at a high setting to be able to heat the tanks since they are the most exposed to the elements.

jbeletti

Is it possible to install a remote thermometer in the basement to help monitor the temperature?
Mike

Mike,

Yes. There are several makers of indoor/outdoor thermometers. I just got one at Sams Club. Nice clock with indoor and outdoor temperatures. The sensor is just outside my front door. Some people mount these under the hitch area and others put them in the underbelly.

There are some thermometers that support multiple remote sensors. Google it :)

Jim

sporlan

Yes they do. Not in real time however and not over the weekend. Give it a few days into next week. Also, never ever be frustrated by posting a note in the ATF and not hearing back as soon as you wanted. Feel free to pick up the phone and chat with a Customer Service rep by calling 877-262-8032.

Thanks,

Jim

Not trying to upset anybody but, come on, the two post before mine was months ago. I don't think that is getting "frustrated". Just trying to get someones attention. Looks like it worked, the post was answered.

htneighbors

Unbelievably Blessed!
FWIW: With the winter mods I made to mine - (insulated between floor and underbelly, added underbelly under garage floor, full skirting, rented a large external propane tank, couple of small electric heaters) - I can attest to the warmth and coziness inside with factory thermostat set on @ 70˚ while outside temp was a mere -30˚F!

I LOVE MY CYCLONE!

cfingram

how cold does the

htneighbors: I'm curious, did you also keep the cargo/toy hauler area warm as well? We are thinking of purchasing a cyclone since we have two little girls and want a nice "play" area for them (cargo would be PERFECT for this!) but we winter in Cincinnati OH which many nights below freezing! We plan on putting a nice carpet in there and a small space heater but I'm not sure if that would be sufficient????? :)

Mike Aplin

I would like to also state that as a manufacturer, we are not allowed to put any heat source into the garage area via the furnace. It is a "code" violation from the RVIA. I can say that Cyclone does offer as an option the heat pump option with built in solar charger. Since their is an A/C duct in the ceiling, the heat pump would actually pump warm air through the A/C duct into the garage. The heat pump feature works down to around 40-42 degrees and then you would want to run your furnace anyway. I hope this helps answer some questions for getting heat into the garage in addition to any space heaters that you may run. Thanks, Mike

bigredtruck

htneighbors: I'm curious, did you also keep the cargo/toy hauler area warm as well? We are thinking of purchasing a cyclone since we have two little girls and want a nice "play" area for them (cargo would be PERFECT for this!) but we winter in Cincinnati OH which many nights below freezing! We plan on putting a nice carpet in there and a small space heater but I'm not sure if that would be sufficient????? :)

In our 3210, the furnace is right next to the cargo area. DH cut a hole and ran ducting (about 4") to the garage. It keeps it nice and toasty for our youngest who uses the garage as his bedroom. But DH has also lined the belly with styrofoam to help insulate, so an oil filled heater works well too.

cfingram

We are interested in the 3912, it's got a KILLER layout! LOVE it ! It's our favorite so far and that's the only hold back is how we can get it warm enough for the girls to play in the winter. It's not like the winter is terribly long, so we are only talking a few months.

Thank you Mike for clarifying the code violation. I understand since it is a toyhauler after all...except, we wouldn't be using it for that.

I wish I could design my own bunk house layout! Living in a fifth wheel full time made me wish for things that I just can't find anywhere...the closest thus far is the Cyclone 3912.

cfingram

Mike: is there something I can read about this heat pump option you are talking about, that sounds interesting! :)

htneighbors

Unbelievably Blessed!

The garage stayed plenty warm. Like bigredtruck, I added the styrofoam insulation under the floor (6-8" in some areas) and added the coroplast underbelly the full length underneath. I had a small ceramic heater plugged into the bathroom receptacle and set it on the garage floor. I also kept the door open from the living area and had a small 'tower' type fan sitting behind the last furnace vent and blowing on the low setting from the front into the garage. The 3950 furnace is up near the front, so I couldn't install the vent as easily as bigredtruck did with their layout. That may be something I look into doing someday, since my dog will be coming fulltime with us and his room will definitely be the garage! Adding carpet like you mention, would certainly help.

Mike Aplin

I do not have any posted reading material on the 15K A/C with heat pump option, but if you were to go to Carrier Air Conditioners website, they may have some useful info for you or you may try and speak with their customer service about some additional features and benefits of their heat pump option. Thanks.