Where is the radio antenna?

gsbainter

Hello,

We just took delivery of our 2008 (new) 2800RLS two weekends ago. One of the things I noticed is that I get hardly any radio reception when I turn on the unit. The DVD functions fine. I noticed that there is no radio antenna on the roof. Both of my previous TT's had radio antenna's separate from the TV antennas sticking up on the roof. I noticed what I think is a small plug in fm antenna in the bag of stuff that came with the Colby unit. Is that supposed to suffice? Perhaps I am missing something here. Can anyone enlighten me?

Thanks,

Shadowchek

I put a splitter on the tv antenna hook up and hooked it up to that. With the booster on it works pretty good.

Greg

wagenman

I see this was posted like three weeks ago with out much response on it...

I did notice that mine was not getting good FM reception either, but did find a black rubber "car" antenna on the roof of my coach...its near the frond kind of above where the entertainment center would be, across from the entry door...

I hope this helps you out...

Putting a splitter on your TV antenna..thats a great idea!!! I think I might just have to do that!!

gsbainter

Thanks Mike

I am picking up my trailer on Friday to get ready for a trip. I will get up on the roof and look again to see if I see something.

bigredtruck

Ours came off somewhere between Michigan and Seattle. DH brushed some trees during a detour. Make sure it is tightened up.

gsbainter

Ours came off somewhere between Michigan and Seattle. DH brushed some trees during a detour. Make sure it is tightened up.

I wonder if mine was just not there in the first place? If it had been there, I would have noticed it. When I pick it up on Friday, I will look again.

Sharon

We got our unit s week ago and I can't even find the radio. I went to turn it on and I don't think they put one in.
Sharon Hoganson

wagenman

I am sure that you have your answer by now...and also know that you are going to get yours on friday.. but I had a few extra min. today and thought I would post this pic of the antenna on my sundance.. it looks to be fairly standard on location...

Attachments

• Copy of IMG_1170.jpg
    Copy of IMG_1170.jpg
    90.8 KB · Views: 68

Netem

I think your going to find that Heartland did not put an external antenna on the early Sundances. I have an 08 2900 MK with no outside antenna only the wire to plug in behind the radio. I ran the wire up through the hole to the TV and fastened it across the wall behind TV so its hidden and it works pretty good. They say Heartland listens to its customers and this is why the new trailers have outside antennas they had a lot of people complaining about this.

frumbawa

I agree with Netem. The external antenna must be new for 09. My 08 2998RB does not have an external antenna either. If/when I can find some time, I'm going to give the splitter a try.

Frank

gsbainter

Thanks for the picture wagenman,

I think I would have noticed that. However, I will look again when I pick it up tomorrow. I like the idea of running it up behind the TV and hooking it to the wall. That would be an easy fix. It is not a huge priority as we don't listen to the radio much, but sometimes. Strange that Heartland didn't put a radio antenna up there before 2009 as that has been a standard feature in most RV's that I have had and seen over the years.

gsbainter

Ok, picked up the trailer today. Definately no radio antenna on the roof. So, I will have to attach the one to the back of the stereo and perhaps hang it on the wall behind the TV. Still mystifies me that Heartland would leave this off before the 2009 models.

cmart

No reception or antenna on my 08 3055RL. Thinking about drilling a hole in the fireplace/computer hutch slide and putting an external mount there, but what will I be drilling into????

jbeletti

No reception or antenna on my 08 3055RL. Thinking about drilling a hole in the fireplace/computer hutch slide and putting an external mount there, but what will I be drilling into????

Curtis,

You will drill through interior wall board, block foam insulation, luan and fiberglass. It should drill very easily. Only hang up could be if you hit an aluminum stud. Still, if your hole is the right size for your cable, should not be a problem.

Seal it well :)

Jim