Over the stove light

jarnold60

I've noticed in our 09' bighorn 3055 the light over the stove in the fan hood is quite poor. Has anyone replaced or modified this with a brighter light?

TXBobcat

Fulltime
I replaced mine with a C921. Gets a lot more light. However the light does get hot, but does not melt the lens.

Last edited:

leftyf

SSG Stumpy-VA Terrorist
I also have a 09 3055 and the light over the stove is not poor...it's useless. Seriously, you cannot tell the difference between being on and it being off. This is the one place that I would expect to work well. I'll try the other bulb and see what happens.

We also had this problem with 08 Big Horn and complained to the dealer when we had it in for other service and they replaced the bulb. Its much improved from the mood light that we had!

Shadowchek

For some reason they come with a silver coated bulb that is useless. I went to the auto parts store and got the one in that style that had the most wattage. It was a big improvement not fantastic but very liveable. sorry about not providing the # but The horn is is storage untill later this week. Then off to The foot hills to a Banjo and fiddle contest In old historic Columbia Ca work for a few days and off to the Central Ca Rally.

Greg

cjbearden

Visitor
When we had the '06 BH 3400RL, we swapped one of the bulbs out of the commode room light fixture with the hood light over the stove. Much brighter stove working area and we never left it on very long. We rarely used the commode room overhead light as we kept a motion nightlight in there so the swap out worked well.

Wharton

We bought some of those 12v hockey puck lights, cut off the transformer, and wired them in, works fine.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Could you explain that again? What transformer??
Lefty, I think he's refering to the under cabinet lights that come with a transformer that gets plugged into 110 but the lights run off the 12volts out of the transformer. You can use the lights on a 12 volt system (wired direct) just without the transformer.

jarnold60

Thanks everyone. Sorry for not responding sooner but I was on the road. Seems like the way to go is to replace the grey/silver bulb with a clear one, I'll try that. Thanks.

leftyf

SSG Stumpy-VA Terrorist
Lefty, I think he's refering to the under cabinet lights that come with a transformer that gets plugged into 110 but the lights run off the 12volts out of the transformer. You can use the lights on a 12 volt system (wired direct) just without the transformer.

I got a lot of those left over from my Airstream days...if I could just get a hold of them! That stuff is in storage and some of it would be a gold mine for my handicapped upgrade on my 3055. Thanks Ray.

Cirrus

I too felt that our stove light was way too dim. I went to our local auto parts store, and just got a new clear bulb. The light is now about 3 times as bright!!:)

TXBobcat

Fulltime
Ok.. now are you going to tell us what you found.. I used the C921. What did you find.. Maybe it is better than the one I used..

Give us a hint or something.

katkens

Founding Illinios Chapter Leader-retired
I found 12 volt bulbs at Menard's Hardware they had them listed by wattage. They had 5,7 ,10 watt , I got the 7 watt , not knowing which wattage to get and the cover doesn't get hot. I might have been able to go with the 10 watt but have alot more light and am pleased......Kenny