Toilet flange seals and best way to store for summer

DirtyMax88

Hey everyone. I want to get some advice and opinions on the best way to leave/store your RV toilet during the hot summer months (without being plugged in and the a/c on). We store our LM in an indoor storage facility, that is only climate controlled in the winter. I imagine it gets fairly warm in the building at times, especially in the summer. There are times when we go a month or more in between camping trips. Made the mistake of only leaving water in the toilets one time and it evaporated over about 2 months. Bought some of the Thetford toilet seal lubricant https://www.amazon.com/Thetford-Toilet-Seal-Lube-Conditioner/dp/B002NSU0ZW to get the semi dried out toilet flange back into shape and it did. So now every time we put it back in storage we use the Thetford seal lubricant and RV antifreeze and it seems to work perfectly, at least from October till now. We hadn't been out since the end of april and when I went over and picked the trailer up last Friday and it seems even the Thetford lube/RV antifreeze mixture evaporated, leaked or went somewhere. Got the camper home and filled the toilets like usual and they didn't leak a drop, in 3 days. Anyone have any thoughts on this, or have a better method of summer/hot weather storage?

Thank you,
Will

CDN

B and B
Hello,

May I suggest some type lube like vaseline. Just grease the seals so they do not dry out. I did that for my park model some time ago and it worked well.

Brian

DirtyMax88

Hello,

May I suggest some type lube like vaseline. Just grease the seals so they do not dry out. I did that for my park model some time ago and it worked well.

Brian

I've heard mixed opinions about petroleum based products, which may damage the seal? Vaseline is petroleum based, isn't it? Plumbers grease was mentioned on some google searching. One of the main reasons I haven't tried either is no one seems to have a definitive yes or no about petroleum base products. I will try the Vaseline, as you suggested, if it worked well for you. Thank you.

travelin2

Pennsylvania Chapter Leaders-retired
I believe plumbers grease would be most appropriate on the rubber seal

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gary521

The flush ball develops some crud on it from hard water. Make sure you clean that well as this will cause a leak also.

carl.swoyer

Distilled vinegar and water then shrink wrap it.
Hey everyone. I want to get some advice and opinions on the best way to leave/store your RV toilet during the hot summer months (without being plugged in and the a/c on). We store our LM in an indoor storage facility, that is only climate controlled in the winter. I imagine it gets fairly warm in the building at times, especially in the summer. There are times when we go a month or more in between camping trips. Made the mistake of only leaving water in the toilets one time and it evaporated over about 2 months. Bought some of the Thetford toilet seal lubricant https://www.amazon.com/Thetford-Toilet-Seal-Lube-Conditioner/dp/B002NSU0ZW to get the semi dried out toilet flange back into shape and it did. So now every time we put it back in storage we use the Thetford seal lubricant and RV antifreeze and it seems to work perfectly, at least from October till now. We hadn't been out since the end of april and when I went over and picked the trailer up last Friday and it seems even the Thetford lube/RV antifreeze mixture evaporated, leaked or went somewhere. Got the camper home and filled the toilets like usual and they didn't leak a drop, in 3 days. Anyone have any thoughts on this, or have a better method of summer/hot weather storage?

Thank you,
Will

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Lynn1130

Baby oil. Some wiped on the flange ring and then a few oz's poured into the toilet to cover the ring.