Nightly settling

emery395

As our 2017 cyclone cools each night we get this periodic ‘clunk’ and the unit gives a shrug.

Is this his caused by hydraulic jack fluid shrinking as it cools?

my levels don’t seem to change a measurable amount

should I be preventing this with permanent non hydraulic jacks?

RoadJunkie

Do a forum search on stiction. CAT stiction additive to the hydraulic fluid will reduce the symptoms.

Oldelevatorman

We've added the anti-stiction fluid and it really hasn't helped. May try another quart. Don't know what's worse, the settling or the humming transfer switch relay!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rhodies1

Another thought on your settling,you may have a small leak somewhere in the hydraulic system allowing for the system is o settle.When you added the fluid was your reservoir low or did you suction out fluid to make room for the additional fluid.

emery395

Just to clarify, when I mentioned ‘my levels’ in the original post I was referring to the levelness of the RV not the hydraulic fluid. BTW I see no evidence of leaking and when jacks are extended the reservoir is about half full

Gaffer

We've added the anti-stiction fluid and it really hasn't helped. May try another quart. Don't know what's worse, the settling or the humming transfer switch relay!

Which fluid did you use? The Cat fluid worked for me where the other product did not.

Gary521

Just to clarify, when I mentioned ‘my levels’ in the original post I was referring to the levelness of the RV not the hydraulic fluid. BTW I see no evidence of leaking and when jacks are extended the reservoir is about half full
If you are not following everybody, there is a fix, provided by Lippert, for the noise that you refer to. They recommend three different fluids to add to the hydraulic fluid to stop the noise. It appears from this and other posts on the subject that the fluid sold by Caterpillar is the best one to use. I used the Caterpillar fluid from the day that I bought my trailer and no noise.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
We subtracted and added one quart of the CAT fluid last year, but it didn't really help. Heartland recently added another quart when in for service in Elkhart but not sure what they used. It didn't help, either.

travelin2

Pennsylvania Chapter Leaders-retired
I only notice the settling popping whatever you want to call it when there is an extreme temperature change usually overnight.
Does it actually change the rig’s posture? Not really IMO.