New Shoes for our TV

WillyBill

Last weekend we had a Chunk taken out of the LF Steer - (Michelin) - by a rock, they were due to be changed anyhow. Fortunately we made it home-250 miles of Interstate and 25 miles of gravel road- safely. Did not find this until I saw it when I came out of the Auto Parts store Monday.

So after asking for many opinions and doing a lot of reading we settled on Yokohama Geolander A/T tires - 7 of them - yup, our spare was cracked on both sides too. 235/80R17 E size.

All of the Michelins were cracked on inside and out sidewalls. Only 37500 miles. Not too happy with the cracking or the low treadwear.

Went with the Yokohamas due to excellent reputation for traction on wet and snow even when less than 50% tread plus longer reported wear on heavy trucks (50,000 mile tread wear rating). Most others seem to be marginal on traction -wet or snow -when worn. The Michelins were only so so.

IMG_1435.jpgIMG_1434.jpgIMG_1442.jpgIMG_E1438.jpg

The Michelins were not quite to the wear bars yet so was hoping to finish the summer with them.

The Yokohama were a good middle ground on price. $1294 out the door for 7 - mounted, balanced, and including all taxes after haggling with my local Favorite Big O Tire Man.

WB

NYSUPstater

From your 1st pic, it looks like you still had plenty of meat left. Next pic tho, it looks like the outside edge was worn more than the other. How old were the tires? For farts and giggles, call Michelin up and ask/tell them what happened, miles, etc. They may no do anything now, but curiosity gets the cat. On the new tires you went with, are they all season or all terrain?

WillyBill

From your 1st pic, it looks like you still had plenty of meat left. Next pic tho, it looks like the outside edge was worn more than the other. How old were the tires? For farts and giggles, call Michelin up and ask/tell them what happened, miles, etc. They may no do anything now, but curiosity gets the cat. On the new tires you went with, are they all season or all terrain?

The Michelin tires came new on the truck - it was first sold in September 2014. Tires were 4 mos old at that point. First owner worked at the GMC dealer so tires were rotated religiously and kept up with proper air pressures. He pulled SOB of fifth wheel <5000 miles. I bought truck in Sept 2015 with 16500 miles. Tires were already at 50%. Yes, the edges were on the skinny side - but that tire had mostly been on the front under that DuraMax and it's heavy. I only run 60 psi on the rears when towing my Cyclone - any more and they only ride on the centers, lol. I also had just adjusted my toe in from Factory 3/16" fat to 3/32" and it gave me .4 MPG when towing. That's HUGE IMHO. If I would have done that a year earlier those edges would have been thicker. I also gained - it did not pull or wander on rutted asphalt any more.

The Yokohama Geolander is an All Terrain M&s tire rated for snow & ice with the Triple Peak Image. Supposed to be one of the Worlds favorite tires by the Overlanding Crowd. Price point was only $45 / tire more than the Sailun A/T's I was thinking about. ($185 each out the door inc. all taxes vs. Sailun was $133 from Simple Tire plus $19 each to mount and balance) I have a friend who has gotten 50K miles on each of three different sets of the Yok's on a Dodge Cummins 1 ton and 60K on his wifes XTerra. He will not buy any other tire but these. I figured that was a pretty good recommend.

I will report back on the Yokohama tires as time goes by.

WB

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

This is my 2017 F350 DRW rear Michelin tires with 44,000 miles. 25,000 of that is towing the Landmark.
I did the steer tires at about 38,000 i think. I do NOT rotate my tires on the DRW trucks.
I find Just ruins all 6 of the tires instead of just the 2 front.
I could probably get 50,000 out of the rear but l will more than likely replace them before that.

4d97a79738266c14023a280981d39200.jpg
794b386929d864412c8b35f151b5dd63.jpg

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

pjones1969

I just replaced my fronts at 41000, outside edges were worn pretty good, rears still look good. Dealer chucked up the rear rims on the inside and left 4 series of 3 divits in the aluminum, marred up the fronts and they put the weights on the outside, had a nice chat with them and it’s going back in on Monday so they can send them out to get fixed and polished back to new and weights applied to the inside when remounted (I hope) they acted like that was a big deal but every truck on their lot from the factory had the weights inboard, anybody have any experience with that?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

Unfortunately that seems to be the norm if your not standing there looking over there shoulder to make sure they don't do anything Stupid !!!!
Good help is hard to find.

pjones1969

Unfortunately that seems to be the norm if your not standing there looking over there shoulder to make sure they don't do anything Stupid !!!!
Good help is hard to find.

I figured a Ford dealer wouldn’t of had to be told, learned something new

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MCTalley

Curious on which Michelins Ford put on new trucks? Our 2016 came with BFGoodrich Rugged Trail T/A's (or something similar). Those lasted about 40,000 miles before the left-front decided it had enough of being round and proceeded to cup itself something bad. Since we were down to about 4/32", I just decided to replace all 6 with Michelin Defender LTXs (formerly M/S2).

We're at about 33,000 miles (about 24,000 towing) on the Michelins and still have 10/32" (of original 13.5/32") tread remaining all around. Here are the rears. Fronts have about same tread depth, but some mild additional wear on the outside shoulders.

i-9wdjgtr-L.jpg

Tread gauge:

i-LS8tDt4-L.jpg

WillyBill

WOW!!! I'm Jealous Malcolm. I hope my newest tires wear even close to as good as yours look in this picture. Looks like you are going to set the high bar for tire mileage.

WB