RESOLVED: Power cord reel won't release

oldelmer1

Hi folks,

My powerd power cord reel will not release, it goes in, but not out. If I turn it manually, it will release and I can pull the cord out.

I pulled the switch out se make sure all the connectors were on, and they are.

Does anyone know the wire schematic for the switch?

Or what kind of switch I would replace it with?

THANKS,
Tom

jbeletti

Re: Power cord reel

I don't have any switch info but...

Your cord reel is made by Shoreline Reels. Shoreline is owned by TRC. TRC is owned by Southwire.

Here's an excerpt from their troubleshooting guide:
Google ChromeScreenSnapz470.jpg

Link to the product web page.

Here's an excerpt from their installation manual regarding a switch:
Additional Parts: (Available from Southwire) Switch assembly MH2021, Floor Hatch, and Under Coach Roller Guide

Here's their contact number: 800-780-4324 x 20311

We have archived on Heartland Owners Manuals, the following documents for this product:
- Troubleshooting Guide
- Installation and Operation Guide

jbeletti

Tom,

For what it's worth, I found the excerpt below from Shoreline's powered Water Hose Reel. My guess is the switch is the same for the power cord reel. Here you can see it's a pretty simple switch. +12v and -12v in, then the motor + and -. The switch performs a polarity reversal. You could take a picture of the back of the switch with the wires connected, then remove the switch and power the motor directly to test.
Google ChromeScreenSnapz471.jpg

Hi folks,

My powerd power cord reel will not release, it goes in, but not out. If I turn it manually, it will release and I can pull the cord out.

I pulled the switch out se make sure all the connectors were on, and they are.

Does anyone know the wire schematic for the switch?

Or what kind of switch I would replace it with?

THANKS,
Tom

Hi, it sounds like you think the reel is powered both in and out. If that's what you're thinking, it isn't powered both ways. It's only powered to reel it in. Where you say, "it goes in, but not out," is what I'm picking up on. Are you assuming it is powered both ways? You will always have to pull the cord out manually. Forgive if I misconstrued.

Edit: Per the product page Jim provided: "Clutched design allows for free-pull extension of cord"

SNOKING

You push out to release the clutch and then manually pull the cable out! At least that is the way our 2017 Bighorn 3575el works. Chris

oldelmer1

Hi, it sounds like you think the reel is powered both in and out. If that's what you're thinking, it isn't powered both ways. It's only powered to reel it in. Where you say, "it goes in, but not out," is what I'm picking up on. Are you assuming it is powered both ways? You will always have to pull the cord out manually. Forgive if I misconstrued.

Edit: Per the product page Jim provided: "Clutched design allows for free-pull extension of cord"

I know it free wheels out, but the clutch is not disengaging when I hit the release button. I have to turn the reel by hand to get the cord out.

Gary521

Mine works both ways. Sometimes it will not release but will "power " the cord out and sometimes it will release and I can pull the cord out. I have no idea why.

oldelmer1

Tom,

For what it's worth, I found the excerpt below from Shoreline's powered Water Hose Reel. My guess is the switch is the same for the power cord reel. Here you can see it's a pretty simple switch. +12v and -12v in, then the motor + and -. The switch performs a polarity reversal. You could take a picture of the back of the switch with the wires connected, then remove the switch and power the motor directly to test.
View attachment 58589

Jim,

Correct me if I'm wrong, but it looks like if I jumper 5 to 6, it should make it do something???

jbeletti

Jim,

Correct me if I'm wrong, but it looks like if I jumper 5 to 6, it should make it do something???

I'd suggest starting with:

5 to 4 and 2 to 1

or

5 to 1 and 2 to 4

In the off (middle) position, I'd say neither hot nor ground are connected to the motor, hence the reason to short 2, not one set.

oldelmer1

I'd suggest starting with:

5 to 4 and 2 to 1

or

5 to 1 and 2 to 4

In the off (middle) position, I'd say neither hot nor ground are connected to the motor, hence the reason to short 2, not one set.

Hi Jim,

I jumpered 5 to 1 and 2 to 4 and the cord went in.

I jumpered 5 to 4 and 2 to 1 and the cord came out!!!

So, I guess I have a bad switch.

Do you think this switch will work?

https://www.amazon.com/Rocker-Switc...&pf_rd_p=a670abbe-a1ba-52d3-b360-3badcefeb448

THANKS!!!!!

SNOKING

I know it free wheels out, but the clutch is not disengaging when I hit the release button. I have to turn the reel by hand to get the cord out.

What is the difference between turning the reel by hand vs pulling the cord out???? Chris

oldelmer1

What is the difference between turning the reel by hand vs pulling the cord out???? Chris

I cant pull the cord out until I reach in and try to wind the cord back in.

I guess this releases the clutch and then I can pull it out.

- - - Updated - - -

Mark,
If you press the release button, the reel will unwind, letting the cord be pulled out manually.

At least that's what use to happen.

when I press release now, nothing happens, so I have to reach in and turn the reel as if I was rewinding the cord, this action releases the clutch and then I can pull it out by hand.

SNOKING

One can do the same thing with a connector switch by installing the cross jumpers. Chris

jbeletti

One can do the same thing with a connector switch by installing the cross jumpers. Chris

Good point. The OP may want to choose the switch that has the best fitment, then if it's a DPDT switch, add the jumpers.

Or call Heartland (877-262-8032) for an exact replacement :)

oldelmer1

After talking to tech support at Sureline, he said I needed the new switch RV3100, but the RV2100 would work also.

Said to call RV PARTS Source and tell them I needed the switch for the Sureline Reel. Well, RV PARTS wanted to know what model reel I had, I assumed it was the RL5, but that wasn't good enough for the guy and he wouldn't do anything for me until I had a part number.

So I ordered 2 switches from Amazon, I will report back when I get them and see if they work.

so, this one:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00MEISO4K/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The above looks like the original switch, its a momentary on/off/momentary on, even know it doesn't say that, I THINK!!!.(I will update when it arrives), Which means you have to hold the switch for the reel to move, when you let go, the reel stops.

MTPockets

W.W. Grainger will have the switch at a fraction of the price you pay an RV parts store, and it will be better quality. They are a nationwide Industrial supplier with hundreds of locations. Take in the old switch and they will match it up.