50 amp to 30 amp surge protector

Bighorn3875

I own a 2014 Bighorn 3875 with a washer/dryer combo, 15 and 13 amp ac units, 2 TVs, etc. Its 50amp, but I will be going to a campground with only 30 amp service. I currently use a 120/240V 50 amp Surge Guard surge protector. When using my 50amp to 30 amp adaptor do I need to purchase a 30 amp surge protector, or could I still use my 50amp. I could connect the 50 to 30 amp adaptor on the surge guard but I was not sure if it would protect my camper.
Also, would I still be able to use my washer/dryer and run 1 ac unit?

Attachments

• Surge Guard.jpg
    Surge Guard.jpg
    102.2 KB · Views: 19

danemayer

The 50 amp protector will work. You'll plug your 30-->50 adapter into the 30 amp receptacle. You plug the surge protector into the adapter. You plug your shore power cord into the surge protector.

30 amps isn't a lot. The dryer takes about 14 amps. A 15,000 BTU A/C unit takes as much as 16 amps at startup. Your Power Converter takes 2-16 amps or so depending on battery condition and what 12V DC devices are running. If you have a residential refrigerator, that takes around 8-10 amps at startup.

If you have a gas absorption refrigerator, set it to run on 12V DC and Propane. Set your water heater to run on Propane. Don't try to run the dryer at the same time as the A/C.