Tongue weight fifth wheel

What is the best way to find the tongue weight of your fifth wheel? I tow a large fifth wheel (elkridge) with a 2018 ram 2500 and want to make sure I am not over loading.

SNOKING

What is the best way to find the tongue weight of your fifth wheel? I tow a large fifth wheel (elkridge) with a 2018 ram 2500 and want to make sure I am not over loading.

Go to a CAT scale and weight trucks front axle, rear axle and combined trailer axles on the first pass. Drop the trailer and weigh the two truck axles again. There is a usually a small fee for the re-weigh.

You will end up with a small amount math with the pin weight and the change to the front axle when the trailer is hooked up.

Chris

Last edited:

NYSUPstater

Go to a CAT scale and weight trucks front axle, rear axle and combined trailer axles on the first pass. Drop the trailer and weigh the two truck axles again. There is a usually a small fee for the re-weigh.

You will end up with a small amount math with the pin weight and the change to the front axle when the trailer is hooked up.

Chris

Difference in weight of truck's rear axle w/o the 5er attached and w/ the RV attached is your pin weight. Depending on how busy the CAT scale/truck stop is, whole process will take approx 20-25 minutes.

SNOKING

Difference in weight of truck's rear axle w/o the 5er attached and w/ the RV attached is your pin weight. Depending on how busy the CAT scale/truck stop is, whole process will take approx 20-25 minutes.

NO, actually to caclulate the pin with one would add together the loaded front and rear tow vehicle axle weights, and subtract the combined front and rear tow vehicle weights while unloaded.

Some of the pin weight may end up on the front axle or depending on hitch placement it could remove some weight from the front axle. The telling item is the front axle weight between the times on the scale. Did it go up, stay about the same or go down.

avvidclif

Is your rear axle weight rating is at 6800 lbs or more, OK. Another concern is the GCWR of over 25k, again look at your truck's labels. Max Gross Combined Weight Rating.

avvidclif

Your trailer actually removed 100 lbs from the front axle. Not sure that's ideal, but I'm no expert. That makes me think that your hitch may actually be positioned too far back (behind truck axle). My trailer added 40 lbs to my front axle.

I started out with 4900 on front axle with 1st 5ver. Next one was 4800. And now 4700. Pin is centered directly over the rear axle. Still scratching my head over that.

Razorbackfan

USN Chief
Is your rear axle weight rating is at 6800 lbs or more, OK. Another concern is the GCWR of over 25k, again look at your truck's labels. Max Gross Combined Weight Rating.

Don’t have that truck anymore, I was just posting the tickets for showing truck only and truck/trailer for the people that wanted to calc tongue weight.

SNOKING

I started out with 4900 on front axle with 1st 5ver. Next one was 4800. And now 4700. Pin is centered directly over the rear axle. Still scratching my head over that.

If one does not relax the drive train with the transmission in neutral then you do not get a accurate weight. Chris