Slide Mechanisms

Bighorn publishes that they use "hydraulics" others use motors (rack & pinion?)on their slide mechanisms.

Just wondering which is best and why.

Many thanks,

Bill B. (Michigan)

BluegrassMan

Slideouts

I'm on my 2nd 5ver with triple slides, I like the hydraulic's, they're smooth quiet and they won't creep back if the clutches in the electric motor slip.

I haven't needed to work them separately YET, but that's NO problem

MY VOTE IS FOR HYDRAULICS......:)

tcbrady

Both LANDMARK and BIGHORN use hydraulic slides that are guided out on a rack and pinion system. The nice thing about the hydraulic slides (provided by Lippert Components) is that there is a manual over ride on the hydraulic pump in the event there ever is a problem. Owners of both LANDMARK and BIGHORN have been very satisfied with the hydraulic slide out mechanism.

phranc

Bill there is also a response to your question here
//heartlandowners.org/showthread.php?t=712

So basically what your saying is, the hydraulic system works on all slides simultaneously unless you manually turn a valve to bypass a slide. This also means that if the hydraulic pump fails than all slides are inoperative. And one is forced into a "manual mode".

Whereas with electric motors each slide is governed with its own switch.

Correct??

Thanks,
Bill B. (Michigan)

timk

BillB800si said:
So basically what your saying is, the hydraulic system works on all slides simultaneously unless you manually turn a valve to bypass a slide. This also means that if the hydraulic pump fails than all slides are inoperative. And one is forced into a "manual mode".

Whereas with electric motors each slide is governed with its own switch.

Correct??

Thanks,
Bill B. (Michigan)

Bill,
On or rig, the lightest slide goes first. In our case the bedroom is first, the entertainment slide is second and the large slide is last. And yes, you can turn any of them on or off with the valves on the pump.

If the electric motor fails on the hydraulic system, you can take a cordless drill and provide power to the pump, to get the slides going. If the hydraulic system fails, I think you need to go get some more groceries. So I don't have an answer to that question. It would be interesting to hear from the factory guys on that one.

TimK

tcbrady said:
Both LANDMARK and BIGHORN use hydraulic slides that are guided out on a rack and pinion system. The nice thing about the hydraulic slides (provided by Lippert Components) is that there is a manual over ride on the hydraulic pump in the event there ever is a problem. Owners of both LANDMARK and BIGHORN have been very satisfied with the hydraulic slide out mechanism.
===================================

Okay, looked over your website and saw where someone was using a drill to manually operate the hydraulic pump.

Just one question. Where is this pump located? Is it under the slide?

Many thanks,

Bill B. (Michigan)

phranc

Bill The pump with the attached electric motor and the slide selector valves are located in the front compartment. Just above the battery. Easy to see and reach.And if that drill ever needs to be used ,which I doubt, There is a label applied to show you where..
Remember there is only one motor turning a hydraulic pump .The pump does the work . Other slide systems will have one motor for each slide to go bad. And are hard to reach to repair..