Towing a Big Horn

jnbhobe

If you don't overload the truck or trailer you have plenty of truck, there a lot of members towing with a 2500 duramax. Take it out and use it HAPPY CAMPING!! Jon;);)

geeksrus

I would be concerned with that combo. I suggest you thoroughly check the weight limitations of both. When I went through the exercise on purchasing a new truck to haul my BH 3400RL, I needed a 3500 dually with a 4.10 rear end.... this gave me a comfort level that I was well over any weight limitations.

EH!

HOSS

Airmec,

I agree with geeksrus. The problem being after the truck and 3370 are loaded, is the braking. Just about everyone I know and have read about that started with the 2500 soon traded up to the 3500 because of the handling of the weight when it comes to slowing and stopping that kind of weight. I have the 08 Silverado Crew cab 3500 and it puts my mind at ease knowing I have a truck designed to handle the load. We have an 09 BH3670rl. Everyone has to decide for them selfs as to what they feel comfortable with.

HOSS

jwb187

If you check the numbers in your owners manual you will find out that about the maximum weight you can carry is 1800 lbs. I have an 08 Bighorn 3055rl and my pin weight is around 2500 lbs. I upgraded to larger tires (more weight carrying capacity) went from 245's to 265's, I also added Air Bags to help even out the weight. These items don't correct your overweight but do give you some piece of mind. I have seen literally hundreds of 2500hd's pulling much larger trailers than mine. Just make sure that you have good brakes and a good brake controller and allow more distance between you and the vehicle in front. JWB.

slmayor

Founding California Northern Chapter Leader
We pulled our 3370 for 10 months with an F250. Pulled fine, stopped fine, no issues. Only problem was the transmission took a beating and we knew we were always on the ragged edge of overloaded, even with upgraded tires. (others might not be, I just take everything I own with me and he takes a full sliding drawer toolbox) Bought a used 05 F350 dually in August and would never go back. DH did NOT want a dually, but after the first 200 miles pulling it, he admitted it was much more comfortable and less stressful to drive. We originally looked at a SRW, but got a better deal and a lariat package on the dually.
If your driving is mostly flat I sure wouldn't worry about the 2500, which has a better trans than the 01 F250. If mostly mountains, then you might be more comfortable with a bigger truck. JMHO

Northern Virginia
If you check the numbers in your owners manual you will find out that about the maximum weight you can carry is 1800 lbs. I have an 08 Bighorn 3055rl and my pin weight is around 2500 lbs...

Unless GM made huge changes to the truck's specs in the 2008 models (2500HD Duramax) ,the maximum weight you can carry is about 3000-3900 lbs depending on the trim level. ( http://www.gmc.com/sierra/2500HD/specsCapabilities.jsp )

The GCVW is 22,000 lbs.

azbound

I agree with most, if you stay out of the Mountains and maintain a reasonable distance between you and the guy in front of you, the 2500 will do OK. For myself I would prefer a 3500HD Duramax DRW. If fact I just upgraded from a 2005 2500HD Duramax to a 2008 3500HD Duramax and feel a lot better about towing our BH 3400RL.

WE travel through the mountains and I really feel the 1 ton is better. And the wife can relax as we travel.

Good Luck

pmmjarrett

Not just tired..... RETIRED!!!
3/4 and 1 ton trucks (both SRW and DRW) use the exact same brakes. Differences between the 2 trucks are the spring rates and the little sticker on the door that gives you the warm fuzzy feeling.

The truck shouldn't be stopping the trailer, that's what the trailer brakes are for. The trucks brakes are only designed to stop the weight of the truck and the load that is carried on it, not pulled by it. Same holds true for any vehicle even class 4 - 8 trucks.

jwb187

The GVWR on a 2500HD Duramax pickup is 7200 lbs. If you weigh your truck you will find out, that with full fuel and two average sized persons in the cab plus the normal stuff that most carry, your weight will be around 5400 lbs. This leaves you with about 1800 lbs left to carry....whether it be tongue weight, PIN weight or a truck bed full of firewood. As I said in my earlier post, my PIN weight is around 2500 lbs so I am over on GVWR by 700 lbs. My GCWR is 22000 so with my 3055rl Bighorn I am under on that by a couple of thousand lbs. Again it is a matter of choice as to what you want to do, many RV'ers opt to pull large trailer with the 2500HD Duramax and have no problems.

rfournelle

Canada-East Region Directors-Retired
Could the year make a difference? I have a 2008 Silverado 2500HD with Duramax and the GVWR indicated on the label (driver door) is 9,200 lbs.

Bob

Delaine and Lindy

Just a example you 2500HD (9200) vs 3500HD DRW (11,400). So there is a difference. The only way you will know the true weight is, load the Truck and 5th wheel the way you would if you were going for a extended stay, not just a week-end stay and put it on the Cat scales and you then will know the facts. You will be surprised.

pmmjarrett, has it right the Truck doesn't stop the entire load the 5th wheel is designed to assist the Truck in stopping the load. I have read on so many forums who say the Truck can't stop the trailer. Its not suppose to the Trailer has brakes and if they are working properly you shouldn't have a problem unless you are a tail-gater. I do recomend that 5th wheels that are over 16,000 and all TH should have Disk Brakes. That will make a major difference. GBY.....

P.S. Pin weight is the key difference in the 2500HD and the 3500HD DRW. Towing weight is the difference in 22,000 vs 23,500.

Northern Virginia
The GVWR on a 2500HD Duramax pickup is 7200 lbs...

The GVWR on my '08 2500HD Duramax is 9200 lbs. I am not familiar with the previous models specs. I kinda doubt that your 2005 GMC would be rated so low. 1800 lbs. is a wimpy payload for a diesel truck. I bet you have the same 9200 payload spec.

3/4 and 1 ton trucks (both SRW and DRW) use the exact same brakes...The truck shouldn't be stopping the trailer, that's what the trailer brakes are for. The trucks brakes are only designed to stop the weight of the truck and the load that is carried on it, not pulled by it. Same holds true for any vehicle even class 4 - 8 trucks.

Great point!

John

ct0218

A loaded 2500 will weigh more than the 5400 you specify. A 3500 will weigh 7500-8000, and a 2500, depending on body style, will weigh about 500-800 less. Gas powered trucks will weigh a little less.

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador
And stopping is EXACTLY why we went even further, and tow a 3600RL with a C4500 chevy Kodiak! In an emergency we can stop this thing with truck brakes alone...if necessary.

The engines, suspension and even most transmissions in any of these trucks can tow these trailers, usually without a problem. However, the first time you are "pushed" thru an intersection during a panic stop...you start to pay more attention to what your truck can stop!! We did.

DougLynne

retired Alberta Chapter Leaders
An additional concern I would have is Insurance coverage should, heaven forbid, something happen, your in an accident and your over weight.../Doug

jwb187

Reference all my post in this string, I have posted erroneous information about truck weights.....I was trying to do this from memory and have my figures wrong. The GVWR for a 2500HD is 9200 lbs (not 7200) The truck (or mine) according to CAT scales weighs 7220 lbs this with full fuel, club cab, 4x4, one person in truck. Loaded truck weight is 9800 lbs which gives me a pin weight of 9800 - 7220 = 2580lbs. GCVWR is 22000 lbs, above vehicle combination is 19340 lbs. According to these weights I am over on GVWR by 600 lbs and under on Gross by 2660 lbs. As far as I am concerned these weights are acceptable to me.....might not be for others.