Do you Run Refridgerator when RV is stored?

I am a new 20193870FB Bighorn owner. I have a Fridgeiar Residential fridge. when storing my coach, and hooked up to 110v shore power I cannot figure out where to turn off the fridge. Any Help?

danemayer

The control panel on the refrigerator should have an On/Off button that you hold for 3 seconds.

But it's possible your Frigidaire might operate differently. If you don't have the refrigerator manual, you should locate the model # and check online to download a copy of the manual for your model.

sengli

I know on some floor plans there is an access door on the outside of the slide, to get to the connections on the back of the fridge. Can you just un plug it there?

esscobra

why do you want to turn it off if you have 110v power? these models were designed to be run 24/7 - we take tem out of their element moving them down road- but built to be running for many years- and things seem to break more with lack of use than from being used.
options to turn off are :
find breaker in breaker panel that controls fridge\inverter
turn off inverter/gfi outlet -- which you will need to keep eye on for occasional trip anyway- first place to look when fridge has no power

and you will want to be sure inverter is turned off so not to kill your batteries

carl.swoyer

I am a new 20193870FB Bighorn owner. I have a Fridgeiar Residential fridge. when storing my coach, and hooked up to 110v shore power I cannot figure out where to turn off the fridge. Any Help?
I've been running mine when not in use. I always have.. model 1210 nocold ...lol

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

CoveredWagon

I do turn it off the fridge so we can leave the doors open to let air out. I’m now thinking I should also disconnect the batteries so they are not on constant charge.
Any thoughts on this ?🤔

I do turn it off the fridge so we can leave the doors open to let air out. I’m now thinking I should also disconnect the batteries so they are not on constant charge.
Any thoughts on this ?🤔

I finally figured out on my fridge that to turn it off it is in options on the touch screen. I was under the impression that you should keep the batteries hooked up so that the charger can supply a trickle charge during storage so that the do not get drained all the way down.

avvidclif

Whatever on the fridge. I have an RV type and it's never turned off.

On the battery if you are plugged in to shore power leave it hooked up. The converter has a smart charger that will maintain it correctly without overcharging. Check the water monthly if you have that type of battery until you get a feel for what it needs. My last one had an RV battery and went 6 months w/o having to add water. I now have an AGM so no water.

Whatever on the fridge. I have an RV type and it's never turned off.

On the battery if you are plugged in to shore power leave it hooked up. The converter has a smart charger that will maintain it correctly without overcharging. Check the water monthly if you have that type of battery until you get a feel for what it needs. My last one had an RV battery and went 6 months w/o having to add water. I now have an AGM so no water.

Thanks for the info. How do i get a copy of the map like you have on your signature that shows where you have traveled?

danemayer

I've decided to keep a picture in my signature. My map is shameful compared to others with only the states between MI & FL with a stop in IN. On a side note it’s our first and have only owned for a year.

If you can use photo editing software, you can combine your picture and your map into a single image to use for your signature.

danemayer

What happens to fridge in unheated unit during New England winters if it is kept running?
Residential refrigerators - you should consult the manual. You may find that the refrigerator needs to have a minimum ambient temperature of around 40 or 45 (F) to function correctly. I'm not sure whether lower temps would cause a malfunction. If the trailer is unheated, you must evacuate all the water from the refrigerator water dispenser / ice maker lines, chilling coil, and remove the filter. You also have to evacuate water from the water feed line to prevent damage to the tubing. Consult our owner-written Residential Refrigerator User Guide.

Gas absorption refrigerators - Dometic (and probably Norcold) will tell you they work down to maybe 20 (F). My experience is they won't have to work very much and should be ok in a heated RV down to zero (F) outside. Don't know about an unheated RV. The problem is that if extreme cold causes gelling in the cooling unit, and the refrigerator is unattended, the cooling unit will probably cook itself to death. Also, you must evacuate water from the water dispenser / ice maker feed lines, and it's a good idea to evacuate water from the feed solenoid and tubing inside the refrigerator. Consult our Winterization Guide and the manual for your refrigerator.

Interesting thread. I wrestled with this a few days ago. I use my new Bighorn a lot - I use it for work and stay out for weeks at a time - but it will stay stored for a couple weeks at a time here and there near our home in Texas. Any idea what the power draw is for the residential reefer? I wonder if it would be worth it to add a solar panel to my unit when stored and just keep the batteries, inverter and reefer on. The unit is covered overhead but it is in the end storage space and gets the Texas sun on the off-door side during parts of the day.

I ultimately decided to turn it off - well, I just didn't turn the inverter on when unplugging shore power and I engaged my battery disconnects. The freezer didn't frost at all while using it, so I expect minimal water/mildew to clean before turning it back on. But leaving it on would be super convenient going forward.

Any thoughts folks?

Thanks!
Ken

TexasTraveler2017

Interesting thread. I wrestled with this a few days ago. I use my new Bighorn a lot - I use it for work and stay out for weeks at a time - but it will stay stored for a couple weeks at a time here and there near our home in Texas. Any idea what the power draw is for the residential reefer? I wonder if it would be worth it to add a solar panel to my unit when stored and just keep the batteries, inverter and reefer on. The unit is covered overhead but it is in the end storage space and gets the Texas sun on the off-door side during parts of the day.

I ultimately decided to turn it off - well, I just didn't turn the inverter on when unplugging shore power and I engaged my battery disconnects. The freezer didn't frost at all while using it, so I expect minimal water/mildew to clean before turning it back on. But leaving it on would be super convenient going forward.

Any thoughts folks?

Thanks!
Ken

I have 3 100-hour Battle Born (LiFePO4) lithium batteries for a totally of 300 usable amp hours. I also have 600 watts of solar. So far my residential fridge will use about 114 - 125 amp hours overnight when sitting outside our home (DFW area, so generally warmer temps). We’ve had it use less when in cooler weather.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

esscobra

I have 110 at my storage facility and leave my fridge on- and most of the time I leave basics in it- condiments etc- I live in small city within bigger city and we have city run storage and its like 4 blocks out of normal route so I can can check on it regularly but I use often so its handy its already cold and ready to go and I can hook up and go and not have to go load it ahead of time