overcharging batteries.

CoveredWagon

What’s the thinking. Should I disconnect the batteries when we part the Rv and are not using any power? Since the batteries are not connected with a smart charger ie a battery tender or minder are the being over charged. I’ve seen this happen many times in industry, a trickle charger left on constantly.

Last edited by a moderator:

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Your converter should take care of the battery while you’re gone. I don’t disconnect mine when we’re away for extended periods. It’s the original battery and it’s still doing fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

danemayer

The Power Converter in your Bighorn has 4 modes so the battery is properly maintained. You should check the battery water level every month or two.

CoveredWagon

Your converter should take care of the battery while you’re gone. I don’t disconnect mine when we’re away for extended periods. It’s the original battery and it’s still doing fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yup I understand the converter keeps the batteries up, but if it continuously keeps charging it can over charge. I wonder at what rate it charges the batteries. I guess if you still have the original batteries it’s ok 👌

- - - Updated - - -

The Power Converter in your Bighorn has 4 modes so the battery is properly maintained. You should check the battery water level every month or two.

Thats the info I was looking for Dan. I did add one of those central watering things, so I give it a squeeze every month.

wdk450

I'm assuming that Heartland is still using the Progessive Dynamics PD9200 series converter/chargers. If you read this information page on their charging logic circuits, you will see that your batteries are better off continually connected to the converter/charger due to the desulphation effects of the equalizing mode that happens for about 15 minutes every 21 hours. https://progressivedyn.com/rv/charge-wizard/ . I can tell you that your batteries can last a LONG time with continual use of this charging system.

dave10a

Just make certain the lead acid batteries have the proper amount of water at ALL times. Trickle, 4stage auto-chargers and solar are the best way to keep the charge to proper levels when unattended. Battery life also degrades when the batteries are left less than 80% charge.

pegmikef

Yup I understand the converter keeps the batteries up, but if it continuously keeps charging it can over charge. I wonder at what rate it charges the batteries. I guess if you still have the original batteries it’s ok 👌

- - - Updated - - -

Thats the info I was looking for Dan. I did add one of those central watering things, so I give it a squeeze every month.

What in the world is this "central watering thing" for batteries?

wdk450

Thats it, the $59 one. A little pain to install, but the ease of servicing the batteries is worth it.

. . . or buy sealed, maintenance-free batteries, or sealed AGM batteries. I bought a couple of used, tested, AGM batteries for about 1/2 new price from a power wheelchair rebuilder I found on Craigslist, and I have had those for about 7 years now (with the PD9200-60) converter/charger.