Forum confusion

chunker

I'll start by saying I realize this isn't my forum and the owners can do anything they want with it. I joined this one a few days ago because Heartland doesn't seem to be user friendly to potential customers with their online or brochure information. This morning I went on to see if any users had any help for me and saw the post had been moved. That led to tracking it down and realizing this forum has sub-forums, sub-sub-forums, etcPerhaps the developers of this forum are the ones who developed online product information, and don't want users/customers to easily find something. Take a look at some of the times of recent responses on some of these sub-sub ones, weeks and months ago. Tells me that there is little usage because the developers made if nearly impossible to find anything.

Based on Heartland lack of viable information, maybe that's the Thor influence, I am starting to steer away from a Heartland product. Based on the buried information on the forum I seriously doubt I'll spend much time here. Too many other forums that are easy to navigate and have useful information. As I said, not my forum so the owners are free to do as they wish.

RoadJunkie

It appears to me that your goal was to download a brochure, press on THIS LINK. The forum may take you some time to understand, but really it is based on a very standard navigation format. If your post is moved it is usually done so by a moderator to position a post for the best response potential from users.

jerryjay11

I've never had a problem finding anything I wanted on the forum. Maybe you should read user guide this forum provides. As for Heartland brochures or online info, again never had a problem getting specs for Heartland products. Remember, not all forums are set up the same. You either adapt or just give up.

danemayer

Chunker,

There are quite a few sub-forums here, not to hide things as you have suggested, but to sub-divide the hundreds of thousands of posts in order to make it easier to research a particular subject area.

Ultimately, you're the only one who can judge how well the structure here works for you and whether it's worth your time and effort to get used to it.

And as I've already answered you on other posts, the best way to ask for information from Heartland that you're unable to find online, is to pick up the phone and call Heartland.

chunker

It appears to me that your goal was to download a brochure, press on THIS LINK. The forum may take you some time to understand, but really it is based on a very standard navigation format. If your post is moved it is usually done so by a moderator to position a post for the best response potential from users.

I got a brochure at a dealer and yesterday downloaded one online thinking maybe it had more information. It didn't. I understand that I can call corporate sales to get information, but I ought to be a able to access real information online, save it and be able to compare trailers based on company information. The information I would like to assemble is for example what a Bighorn 3160 would cost with generator prep, dual pane windows, heat pump options, etc. But I don't know if one of these packages already has that or not. Dealers can make up any pricing they want and are not bound by manufacturers pricing at all. It's a waste of time to have to call several dealers to try to get any information especially since most won't know the answer anyway. Then you are on their list and the parade of endless solicitation begins. When I talk to a dealer It's to get the final information, not the basics. When I see a dealer's ad that says "call for price", I don't. I have no desire to be on their phone solicitation list. I guess Heartland doesn't operate in a user friendly way so I'll move on and go back to original plans of the Solitude series.

Web sites that are not intuitive won't get the participation that's possible. I'm far from a guru but I am a user. Sites like IRV2 are easy to navigate and don't have the endless sub forums and that site serves all RVs, not just one section of a company. The GD site does have sub forums for the various lines and the Solitude sub-forum has 4 topics to navigate. At any rate it doesn't appear this site is for me.

I may next week call Heartland to ask where information is so I can make apples to apples comparisons or failing in that move on.

chunker

One other question, the arrangement of posts. Some sub-forums start with post #1 at the beginning, some start with the most recent post. To me that's awkward because often threads veer from the original topic and recent posts have little to do with the subject or original posting. Is there a forum setting to make the arrangement of posts the same?

I feel your pain... a lot of forums are way behind the times,they need some 20 year olds to get them in the 21st century.there is alot of good info on this forum but you have to dig a bit.the big horn is a good product we lookef a quite a few when we decided to upgrade our rig.we went with a landmark 365 Lafayette it is awesome. as far as dealers are concerned they are a trip... I never pay anywhere close to sticker usually 40-45% off. they don't like to talk serious price til they know your for real .best time is end of month

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Is there a forum setting to make the arrangement of posts the same?
Yes.
Click on Settings at the top right of this page. Then scroll down a bit and on the left you will see General Settings. Click on that.
Then scroll down a bit and you will find Thread Display Options, and right below that you will also see Thread Display Mode.
Click the drop down arrow and choose your display mode.

Peace
Dave

chunker

Yes.
Click on Settings at the top right of this page. Then scroll down a bit and on the left you will see General Settings. Click on that.
Then scroll down a bit and you will find Thread Display Options, and right below that you will also see Thread Display Mode.
Click the drop down arrow and choose your display mode.

Peace
Dave

Whew, quite a trip but made it, thanks.

chunker

I feel your pain... a lot of forums are way behind the times,they need some 20 year olds to get them in the 21st century.there is alot of good info on this forum but you have to dig a bit.the big horn is a good product we lookef a quite a few when we decided to upgrade our rig.we went with a landmark 365 Lafayette it is awesome. as far as dealers are concerned they are a trip... I never pay anywhere close to sticker usually 40-45% off. they don't like to talk serious price til they know your for real .best time is end of month

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk[/QUOTE

I'm into the downsizing mode going from a 40'DP, Itasca Horizon, back to a 5th wheel. There are a lot of nice models and the Landmark is nice but I want to stay under 40' closer to 35' and under 16K GVWR. That eliminates Landmark, Jayco Pinnacle, Prime Time Sanibel and others. The Grand Design Solitude has 2 that interest me, 310 and 344GKs and the Heartland Bighorn 3160. But Heartland making it difficult for me the potential customer to find real information. I had a question diverted over to the Bighorn forum and a posted suggested that a Cincinnati dealer would provide build sheets and options information. I decided to give a local dealer the option to send me what I need with the understanding if they can't or won't I'll go elsewhere.

We'l see where that goes. I live in south AL and there aren't the big dealers like Lazy days that have tons of inventory to view, so online research is necessary. Next month we'll take off on a 2 month trip up north and along the way I'll see what inventory I can find and information available. Example, there isn't a 3160 around that I can physically see and I'm not getting too excited about any model until I can put my eyes and hands on it. Same with the GD models that interest me.

- - - Updated - - -

Last edited by a moderator:

carl.swoyer

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

I'm into the downsizing mode going from a 40'DP, Itasca Horizon, back to a 5th wheel. There are a lot of nice models and the Landmark is nice but I want to stay under 40' closer to 35' and under 16K GVWR. That eliminates Landmark, Jayco Pinnacle, Prime Time Sanibel and others. The Grand Design Solitude has 2 that interest me, 310 and 344GKs and the Heartland Bighorn 3160. But Heartland making it difficult for me the potential customer to find real information. I had a question diverted over to the Bighorn forum and a posted suggested that a Cincinnati dealer would provide build sheets and options information. I decided to give a local dealer the option to send me what I need with the understanding if they can't or won't I'll go elsewhere.

We'l see where that goes. I live in south AL and there aren't the big dealers like Lazy days that have tons of inventory to view, so online research is necessary. Next month we'll take off on a 2 month trip up north and along the way I'll see what inventory I can find and information available. Example, there isn't a 3160 around that I can physically see and I'm not getting too excited about any model until I can put my eyes and hands on it. Same with the GD models that interest me.

- - - Updated - - -

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk[/QUOTE

Chunker, you have another option. You can find a used landmark, such as mine.
I own a 2012 Landmark Rushmore. Dry weight 12700 lb.
I have the Cummins Onan 5500
With the Magnum ms2818 Inverter. I understand your pain pertaining to the difference between forums, but it takes time to get used to the new.
Good luck.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

chunker

ed - - -

Chunker, you have another option. You can find a used landmark, such as mine.
I own a 2012 Landmark Rushmore. Dry weight 12700 lb.
I have the Cummins Onan 5500
With the Magnum ms2818 Inverter. I understand your pain pertaining to the difference between forums, but it takes time to get used to the new.
Good luck.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk[/QUOTE].

That is an option and I have time on my side. On problem for me is desired options. Some are non-negotiable; generator, slide awnings, some are desired; heat pumps, dual pane windows. Everything except the windows can be added later but some at much greater cost. Got a price quote for generator added by a Solitude dealer, 7-8K for the add. It's around 5.6K if built in. Slide awnings easily added and something I could do myself, heat pumps added when an a/c dies. That may require thermostat change or reprogramming, not sure. About the only way for the windows is take it back to the factory which I haven't priced but I bet it's expensive. For the Solitudes I have looked at it's a 2k+- factory option. I have no idea at this time what it would be on a Bighorn since pricing isn't available online.

Finding a good used model in my size and weight with the generator prep or generator is doable but will require some patient searching I suspect. A nice source of specs is RVUSA so I'll look in the 2-4 YO range for what was made. A friend has a Landmark Monterey but I think that's 16,5K and not sure there actual length. It's not made anymore. I guess typically the higher end buyer is looking for bigger and heavier so that's the offerings out there. What we're looking for is the typical rear living with lots of windows. My GF wants to know who makes decent models with the door at the back but my research doesn't find that. TT yes, 5th wheel no. And the search and research goes on.

chunker

Last years MSRP for dual pane windows was $2,143.
Have you seen post #1 here.

Peace
Dave

Dave yes I saw that and as I understand this are 2017 options and pricing. Since 2019 models are coming out it would be nice to get current information. It appears that the King of the Road and Premier packages are mandatory. I base that on various units I have seen for sale. Used ones not new on lots Generally the new ones advertised by dealers have cut n paste ads, very little specific to the actual trailer. Lazy dealers. I have asked a local dealer to send me the current pricing and package information. If they want my business then they will send it. If not, plenty of dealers around.

Fox

I'm in agreement with the original poster, this site has forums, sub forums, sub-subs, etc. What I've found is the button up top labeled Whats New? Providing there's anything new that button takes me back to things I've previously found interesting.

Another irksome thing (for me) is I've finally got the forums to display oldest to newest - but no way to then Jump to last read. I must scroll thru everything to find my last spot. Reading them newest to oldest was even more confusing (for me).

But I will adapt, eventually.

Also a big howdy to the above South Bama gent, from another site newbie in LA (Dothan/ Ft Rucker).

CruzTerri

Another irksome thing (for me) is I've finally got the forums to display oldest to newest - but no way to then Jump to last read. I must scroll thru everything to find my last spot. Reading them newest to oldest was even more confusing (for me).

Actually there is, when you're in the thread, near the top, on the right, under the page numbers, there's a link "View First Unread." Click that and it will take you to the first unread message in that thread :)

Fox

Actually there is, when you're in the thread, near the top, on the right, under the page numbers, there's a link "View First Unread." Click that and it will take you to the first unread message in that thread :)

Outstanding! I was looking for it in all the wrong places; thank you.