5th Wheel Height and Location

dap

Can someone with a simular setup share from experience a good working configuration in reguards to 5th wheel height and location?

I am getting ready to pickup my 5er this coming week and I'll only have time for one short shakedown cruise before me and my wife visit the florida keys later this month. My 5er is a Bighorn 3600RL with the trail air hitch pin box and the truck is a Dodge 2004.5 3500 DRW 6 speed 4WD Long bed. I'm using a B&W Companion 3000 fifth wheel hitch that mounts into the receiver of a B&W hide-a-ball gooseneck setup. This way I can hav ea flat pickup bed when I need to. The height of the top plate on the fifth wheel is set to 16 3/4 off the bed of the truck and the center on the pin would be slightly in front of center of the axle. I can adjust it 2" more toward the front of the truck if it helps to get a little more weight on the steering axles.

Does anyone have suggestions on front to back locations (based on the center of the axle and what height they are using. I know someone out there is running pretty much the same setup. I have to adjust my hitch by the process of disassemble and reassemble and currently it's pretty cold aoutside and I would like try a suggestion based on experience until I get the chance to play with it on my own.

Does 2" forward really help shift that much weight to the steering axles?

Any ideas?

phranc

Dap.. I have some similarities to your set up.. 2004.5 dodge w/ single rear wheel,a reese/drawtite signature 18k hitch and a 3600rl . I too was concerned about pin height . This turned out to be a no brainer .. My plate is 17 3/4 in from bed (yours is 16 3/4 ) Trailer rides as close to dead level as I could wish.
The reese can be adjusted forward and aft by pulling pins and rotating the support part of the hitch and then putting plate back on and inserting the required pins. At first the installer had it set so hitch was at centerline of axel . That created a small amount of chucking . The hitch was then repositioned to it present spot of 1 in foward of axel center. Ride was vastly improved . If I had my druthers (and I don't as installation is permanent ), I might have it 2 or perhaps 3 in. foward of axel center. There is good clearance between nose of trailer and cab back. @ more inches would't make any problems.. I also have 8 to 10 in. of clearance between bed rails and bottom of 5th wheel.
Hope this helps ........

dap

Phranc.... Thanks for the info. I'll adjust my hich to the front position instead of center. I only have 6" of adjustment on this type of hitch. I think you supplied exactly the information I needed and this is not the firdt time you have come through for me. All I can say is thanks and I hope me and my wife cross your camping path someday so that I have the opportunity to buy you your favorite drink.....