Driving in wind

Chuck Richard

Hello Experts, I have a question that may sound dumb and I think I read about it before but could not find it in a search. I am leaving on a trip to the Oregon coast and the day I leave they are predicting 50-60 mph gusts. What do you owners consider save winds to pull a Big Horn in? I may have to postpone one day as it is only predicted to be one day.

Forrest Fetherolf

Head wind and tail wind is managable, quartering wind or side wind that speed is very dangerous.............I would recommend you wait.

Forrest

Chuck Richard

Thanks guys, as I expected a days delay is in the works. Won't be a steady wind but it only takes once and the coast highway turns every which way.

Peteandsharon

Chuck,

We pulled our 3055 BH through Minnesota this past June with 60 MPH crosswinds. It was white knuckle at times but, all things considered, it handled quite well. Probably wouldn't do it if I had a viable option, though.

pmmjarrett

Not just tired..... RETIRED!!!
Law require tall profile vehicles to shut down in 35 mph wind and our company requires us to shut down at 25 mph wind.

Winds at or above combined with road speed can easily damage trailers in a very short amount of time, especially if it's a cross wind. Things like the TV antennae, awning(s) and lower skirts and their braces.... especially the lower skirts) are the most vulnerable.

Have personally seen the TV antennae fold up and break and the side skirts rip the braces out, bow and crack just in a short distance trying to find a safe place to get off the road after getting caught in storms.

Chuck Richard

Thanks again All,
I knew inside I was going to hear this but I was wondering about what threashold I need to get off the road. I have driven in 25 MPH crosswinds with a light TT and was wondering about the BH that is over twice as heavy. I did delay my trip and headed out to the Oregon coast this morning. Now if I can figure out an easy way change my location I'll be set.:D

pmmjarrett

Thanks again All,
I knew inside I was going to hear this but I was wondering about what threashold I need to get off the road. I have driven in 25 MPH crosswinds with a light TT and was wondering about the BH that is over twice as heavy. I did delay my trip and headed out to the Oregon coast this morning. Now if I can figure out an easy way change my location I'll be set.:D

So glad to hear you waited it out. It's so much better to be a late than to never make it at allNone

As far as the threashold.. there are too many variables, TV, weight, how the weight is distributed, size of the trailer, road speed, what type of wind, direction of wind, road conditions etc..

I know a fifth wheel handles better in the wind but I also know 3 trailers that didn't make it to their destination this year because they were blown over. 1 in Ontario and 2 in Wyoming... The one in ON was a driver for our company and was blown off an icy bridge did a complete 360* rollover and completely totaled the truck and trailer, driver got very lucky, the 2 in WY were following each other and were stopped on the side of the road waiting for conditions to change when they were blown over... both being towed by drivers from the same transport company.

TXBobcat

Fulltime
Ok.. I have a question. If I am going down the highway, say an interstate and I can tell there is a wind. When I am in a wind I can feel how the truck and trailer is riding. I slow down as to where the truck and trailer feels stable.

How do I know the speed of the wind. As mentioned above you should shut down if the wind is 35, 25 or what ever.. I am not contesting anything.. but how do you know what the wind speed is...

I have been going down the highway and feel the wind or find the truck is not getting good fuel mileage. I have found that looking at the branches of any trees along side the highway, tall weeds, and anything I can find. Sometimes there is nothing to indicate the direction of a wind. I wish they would put out some wind socks or flags that can help you determine if you have wind and the direction..

pmmjarrett

If you feel the wind pick up and you have to slow down to feel safe and stable it's time to stop and check the weather forcast, chances are at this point you are already close to 20 - 25 mph winds and gusting higher.

Another good place to start is to plan your trip which includes checking weather over the route you are taking and during the trip check the weather before leaving out for the day.

If you know you are headed into a storm and its several hundred miles off but moving at x mph in a certain direction a little simple math can tell you about where you'll possibly run into it and still be able to make some miles before shutting down and waiting for it to pass. Often the strongest winds are on the leading edge of the storm and after a few minutes when it passes you can take off after a nice break.

If you look in the mirrors and the trailer looks like it's leaning it's already too late and time to shut down.

For wind direction I watch the grass on the side of the highways, much easier to judge than watching trees.... in the southwest you need to watch the tumbleweed.

Listen to the sound of your TV cutting through the air, chances are you know what the roar sounds like when you are doing 80 mph on a nice day so if it sounds like you are going 80 and your only doing 55 there's a good chance you have a 25 mph head wind or quartering cross wind.

Any way you do it, it's up to you to make these decisions and not wait for somebody to tell you. When in doubt, stop, take a short break and check it out. Always best to err on the side of safety.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
Thanks for the useful information. I have gotton caught in high winds and it is not fun especially when you see 18 wheelers lying on their sides.

robnmo

Another way to find wind speed is via your cell phone. We travel alot by motorcycle I have Mycast weather in my cell phone (Verizon) which costs 2.99 per month and gives instant access to weather conditions, by just putting in your city/state or zip code, it also has weather maps with temps, dew points, wind direction, wind speeds, as well as any weather alerts for your location.

yondering

Retired-Full Timer
It takes 15Knots/17.3mph to make a windsock stand straight out. Most 3'X5' Flags ( US, State, ETC ) are close in weight and density of most commercial wind socks. Just look around for a flag, and you can at least get a good idea about the wind speed and direction. Be safe, God bless ya, Al & Dee Weaver

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
FYI, Cheapeake Bay Bridge at Annapolis was closed to empty box trucks/tractor-trailers and travel trailers this afternoon due to winds of 40+MPH.

caissiel

We once did the Ocean Road to the Keys in Florida with a good strong wind. I was nervous so I filled all my tank to at least 2/3 and did the trip quite well. I was assured when we met little 1/4 ton MH comming over also. Balast is the best assurance, and I do travel often with 50 Gallons of water in the tanks. Keeps the center of gravity low. Head wind is nothing compared to side wind. More area to cause friction on the sides.

lwmcguir

We have winds in the 60-70 mph range each summer. The best way to ride it out is as the previous post suggest. Fill up the tanks, stay hooked to the TV and if you can head into the wind. If you are traveling you sure gain the center of gravity benefit with the water tank clear full. The tank behind the axle is really a help to have full as well if you know ahead of time and can plan it out.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
IMHO if you have winds 60-70 mph the best alternative is to park it and not be on the road, put the jacks down if possible and head it into the wind. Ours survived Hurricane Ike winds of 105 mph in the driveway beside our home and it had the jacks down, slides in and was headed into the wind.

lwmcguir

You are sure right about getting off the road and pointing into the wind as soon as possible. Other than fronts, thunderstorms are when we see the high winds several times a year. Most of us do as you stated, slides in, water tank full if possible, head into the wind, stay hooked to the TV, find shelter if possible otherwise stay in the TV. Usually the duration is less than 30 minutes. However there are usually several empty trailers blown over on the Interstate and a few campers lost as well. In this case many more vans are toppled than campers due to the campers low center of gravity. Last year was a bad one for storms and we are hoping this year is better.