30 amp vs. 50 amp

Recently bought rets 29ft..when running air, microwave, and crockpot I am throwing breaker on post..I assuming I am pulling too much so question is can I with right 50 amp cord use on this vamper..is it designed for 50 amp hook up..dont want to damage wiring or stuff ..

danemayer

Hi Thresherman,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum.

If your trailer is wired for 30 amp service, it's possible to upgrade it to 50 amp. But just upgrading the shore power cord will not solve the problem. All the wiring from the pedestal to the circuit breaker panel, and the breaker panel itself, will need to be upgraded.

You might take a look at our Electrical user guide in this folder to better understand the 50 amp wiring setup.

If you stay with 30 amp, you will have to manage what devices you use. A/C, microwave and crockpot probably each use close to 15 amps. You also use a few amps on the Power Converter (changes 120V AC to 12V DC).

Fox

Most campgrounds I've visited provide a separate 110V plug (I'm unsure of the amperage rating but likely 15-20A). If you need the power bad enough you could snake an extension cord out the window to separately run the crockpot, OR microwave, or toaster, or coffee pot, a winter time electric room heater, etc. Maybe it's not elegant - but in a pinch use whatever it takes.

Use common sense - use a short cord and don't cut the insulation by tightly closing a window/ door on it.

sengli

We often have to use limit the amount of items we run at one time, or we also throw the breaker too. You would be surprised how much current common everyday appliances really draw. We shut off the electric water heater, when my wife brews coffee, or turn off the electric fireplace when the microwave is being used.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
Yup!

With 30 amp service in your RV you will have to manage what all is running at the same time.

I've found that as long as the hot water heater is shut off I can run at least one of the other items along with the AC in my 5'ver before popping a breaker.

- - - Updated - - -

Most campgrounds I've visited provide a separate 110V plug (I'm unsure of the amperage rating but likely 15-20A). If you need the power bad enough you could snake an extension cord out the window to separately run the crockpot, OR microwave, or toaster, or coffee pot, a winter time electric room heater, etc. Maybe it's not elegant - but in a pinch use whatever it takes.

Use common sense - use a short cord and don't cut the insulation by tightly closing a window/ door on it.

I was in an RV park recently that had only the 30 amp plug in the pedestal...no 20 amp or 50 amp.