Pin box too small??

Hey everyone!

So I'm loving my new fifth wheel, despite the mistakes I've made so far. But I'm really not sure what to make of the sticker on my pin box. I'll post a pic, but long story short, my trailer is gross 16250lbs and my pin box states 15500lbs max. It is the Lippert LIPP1621 (this is stated as the model number), but I'm finding references to many different weights when look up this "model" number. 1621 actually seems to be a width measurement as opposed to a model number. My new Bighorn was equipped with this undersized kingpin and I don't know what to do about it.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!
Ken

LIPP1621-15500.jpg

sengli

Pretty much any full profile heartland I have looked at, has the 1621 pin box. Mine coach is only 14,400 GVRW, and has mine listed as an 1621HD.

Ok, do you know what its rated for? As I mentioned, 1621 seems to just be a width, not a model number that would uniquely identify the part. For instance, if you search for Lippert 1621, you get pin boxes of all different ratings from all different manufacturers. And just as an FYI, 1621, 1621HD and 1621SHD seem to be interchangeable and there are examples of equal ratings between those different part numbers. So that "part number" or "model number" doesn't specifically imply a specific rating.

Thanks!
Ken

Gary521

I think most Bighorns came with the 1621 HD pinbox. This model is good for 18,000 lbs. It could be that yours was mislabeled or you got the wrong pinbox. Call Heartland

SLO

That happened to me on our last (2012) Bighorn. Heartland said pinbox was mislabeled. Since I changed to a Reese Sidewinder pinbox the mislabeling was of no concern to me.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I have a message submitted to them on their support website. I'll see what they say.

Does anyone know if the rating is stamped/etched in the pin box itself somewhere? My rig is up the road in storage for a few days or I could go look myself.

Thanks!
Ken

CoveredWagon

I have a message submitted to them on their support website. I'll see what they say.

Does anyone know if the rating is stamped/etched in the pin box itself somewhere? My rig is up the road in storage for a few days or I could go look myself.

Thanks!
Ken

Call Customer Service. Have your VIN handy that the first thing they’ll want. If you find it’s a wrong pin box and you can afford a swap + cost with Heartland get yourself a MorRyde pin pox. You’ll love it and never look back.
Just my $.02

Last edited by a moderator:
Call Customer Service. Have your VIN handy that the first thing they’ll want. If you find it’s a wrong pin box and you can afford a swap + cost with Heartland get yourself a MorRyde pin pox. You’ll love it and never look back.
Just my $.02

Sorry, I'm a little brain-dead today. Do you mean Heartland could provide the Morryde Rubber Pin Box for an upgrade fee as part of the trade to a big enough part? I've been looking at them. Apparently they work well with my Hensley TS3. If they try some bull about "well, that part will haul the unloaded weight, so you're SOL" then I would likely buy the Morryde. But I really hope they'll make sure I have a part that will haul GVWR.

Thanks!
Ken

Alan_B

My 1621 pin box has a Lippert serial number on it. If yours does also, you can call Lippert and get the exact specs of that pin box.

I have had a couple of interactions with Lippert customer service and they have been very positive experiences.

CoveredWagon

Sorry, I'm a little brain-dead today. Do you mean Heartland could provide the Morryde Rubber Pin Box for an upgrade fee as part of the trade to a big enough part? I've been looking at them. Apparently they work well with my Hensley TS3. If they try some bull about "well, that part will haul the unloaded weight, so you're SOL" then I would likely buy the Morryde. But I really hope they'll make sure I have a part that will haul GVWR.

Thanks!
Ken

Walk softly. I’m sure if it is the wrong item Heartland will straighten out the issue. Whether or not they’d let you up grade is another story, but it wouldn’t hurt to ask. No chips on shoulders, remember most often customer service only hears complaints.

So I got a reply back from someone at Heartland. They looked up my VIN and say that its recorded as having a 18k pin box but suggested I contact Lippert about it. I took that message and forwarded it over to Lippert at the email address supplied by the nice person at Heartland and I attached the image I have of the sticker. Fingers crossed for a quick response! I just wish I could get over to the trailer today to look for an etched/imprinted part number or serial number. I'm stuck at the computer today through wednesday facilitating training for work. Oh well!

Thanks!
Ken

BusManRG

I do know there is more information that you are missing. Another sticker someplace possibly? 1621 refers only to the bolt pattern. So if you were shopping for a replacement pin box you will want to make sure that you buy one that has a 1621 bolt pattern. Then ideally, you would slip your existing pin out and the new pin box into the frame. We are getting ready to replace our upgraded MorRyde pin box that we purchased with our big horn to a trail air Flex Air.

Sandy

wildwolfproducts

On ours it has the Morryde Rubber Pin Box. And it had the wrong sticker on it. Like your's, and Morryde mailed me out the right sticker for mine. And it works perfect with my TS3 hitch.
Pete