Airborne Pin Box

geeksrus

I adjusted the height of the Airborne but could not locate any info on the torque for the bolts. What does Airborne specify?

Thanks EH!

truknutt

Committed Member
Geeks,

Here is the contact info from the 5th Airborne Website:

ident_contact.gif
Fifth Gear Recreational Products
Cequent Towing Products
2602 College Ave.
Goshen, IN 46528
Customer Service: (800) 710-9783
Fax: (800) 249-3827
Email: fifthgear@cequentgroup.com

truknutt

Committed Member
You are quite welcome, sir.

How do you like the performance of that hitch? I have talked to owners of both the 5th AB & and the Trailair and I have found that they seem to do the job fairly equally. I am leaning towards the 5th mainly 'cause I like how the shock and bellows are protected from the elements; makes for a "clean" look, also.

geeksrus

You are quite welcome, sir.

How do you like the performance of that hitch? I have talked to owners of both the 5th AB & and the Trailair and I have found that they seem to do the job fairly equally. I am leaning towards the 5th mainly 'cause I like how the shock and bellows are protected from the elements; makes for a "clean" look, also.

I don't have anything to compare it to as my unit came with the 5th... seems to do the job. I do get some chucking on braking & starts plus when I go in reverse... I'm assuming this is normal.

EH!

DougLynne

retired Alberta Chapter Leaders
We have the 5th and really like it. I was checking things over the other day and noticed the nuts on the bolts that hold the shock in place were quite loose. I forget what you call them but they are nylon or whatever. Just tightened them up but not sute how tight to make them. Any ideas, will contact 5th airborne as well. Contacted 5th Airbourne and nuts should be 75 ft. lbs..../Doug

Last edited:

Larryheadhunter

X-Rookies Still Luving it
We have the Mor/Ryde pin cushion and its not very comfortable for sure except when we are on real smooth roads. I am certainly no expert, but in our travels most of the folks we encountered seemed to feel much more positive about the trail air hitch pin box with air bag vs.the 5th airborne. I also think the trail air is much more expensive, so you get what you pay for. I am thinking of changing my pin cushion to one of the above, so if anyone has any ideas on which one and where to buy it, please let me know. thanks in advance.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
LARRY--- Stop

Hi Larry, before you go spend more money,find out why you lose weight on the front axle when you are hooked up. I bet your TV rides terrible with all the weight on the rear axle. Bob (your buddy):D:D:eek:

Larryheadhunter

Bob,
Your one sage mofo. I just called Camping World who installed the hitch, and they are calling Pullrite on Monday for instructions. One of my other mentors, Forrest Claus got me weighed in on a Cat Scale in Las Vegas. The numbers are as follows:
Without rig:
steer axle: 4840 lb
drive axle: 3700 lb
trailer axle: 0
gross weight: 8540 lb

With rig hitched up:
steer axle: 4760 lbs
drive axle: 6440 lbs
trailer axle: 10,680 lbs
gross weight: 21,880 lbs.

As you can see, the front axle of the truck appears to weigh 80 lbs less when I am hooked up. I am assuming that I will have to have the hitch moved up an inch or two for correct weight distribution and could contribute to the rough ride. Not complaining but I have had to have 2 epidural injections in my lower back lately and don't wish any more. Bob, you are a big enough pain in the butt enough anyway.
Anyone who has any ideas on the subject let me know.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Larry, you are a pretty smart guy. In the morning, find the center point of the hitch ( where the hitch head pivots) and see where it is over the rear axle. If it is over the center or behind the axle, the hitch it is installed wrong. Hence lifting the front of the TV. Your truck weigh's 8540#'s???? What did you have in it besides you and Debbi?????????? What's the body made out of, cast iron. Bobo (your buddy):D:D:eek:

Larryheadhunter

Ok Bob the mentor, I will check tomorrow and follow your instructions. Actually, Debbi wasn't in the truck when weighed, but Forrest was, and also a heavy ice chest. You trying to call Forrest a fatty? He will shoot you down literally as he is a buffed workout king. Is 8540lbs. alot for a F-250 to weigh incl the 18K pullrite hitch? And how do you calculate the hitch pin weight or whatever u call it?

jnbhobe

2740# pin weight Larry. Subtract empty rear axel from loaded rear axel weight. Jon;);) ps. I lose about 50lbs front axel weight when hooked up,same hitch,frame rails won't let me move hitch.4x4 truck weighs 8800lbs on cat scale.

Larryheadhunter

Thanks Jon, now tell me if 2740 lbs. is ok for the pin weight? What are the guidelines? I think my rig weighs a little more than yours. And does the fact that you lose 50 lbs front axle weight when hooked up affect your ride, since I lose 80 lbs.? I am having a very rough ride even with the Mor/Ryde pin cushion unless the road is completely smooth.
Bob, I have 6,000lb axles so 10,680 lbs doesn't seem so heavy, as it leaves me 1,320 lbs of flexibility. What's the story, as you are the expert and I am just a rookie?

Forrest Fetherolf

When we weighed Larry's rig at the rally, I was on the steer axle scales and not in the truck as was Debi when we weighed both vehicles. That would indicate the front axle is actually more than 80 lbs lighter when hitched-up. The hitch-pin center appeared to be very close to center of rear axle....................obviously something is going on, nothing was in the truck bed behind the rear axle. My Duramax's steer axle is 20 lbs heavier when hitched-up with 2880 lbs of pin weight.

Forrest

jnbhobe

Larry; A couple of quick thoughts,I think the moreryde pin box works better for forward & backward movement, the trail-air & 5th work better for up & down movement. I have neither, I have the same hitch but I have 4 leaf progresive helper springs,work good a lot like timbeins. Your pin weight is just over the limit if you have 17" tires 3195# per tire.That would give you 6390# tire cap. on rear. that said it still doesn't change the # on the door. If you have any Questions PM me with a phone # I'll call you JON:D:D

truknutt

Committed Member
The hitch-pin center appeared to be very close to center of rear axle....................obviously something is going on, Forrest

According to the PullRite installation Instructions, the king pin should be approx 1 inch forward of the rear axle when in "travel mode".

If Larry has the Universal mounting kit (non-removeable) #3340 here are the install instructions. Page 14 has the measurements for Larry's 2008 F-250. Looks like it is 23 9/16 inches from tailgate edge of the bed to the rear edge of the Pull Rite. (24 9/16 inches to the rear rail bolt hole.)

If Larry has the removeable rail kit #3343, here are those install instructions. Page 7 has the measurements. Looks like 26 3/32 inches from tailgate edge of bed to center of the rail mountiong hole.

Larry, please read the charts to double check my numbers...it's late & my eyes are crossing!

I figure this will at least tell you if the hitch is in the right place or not.

Let us know the outcome either way. This East Coast - West Coast troubleshooting is interesting to say the least!

Larryheadhunter

Jon and the rest of you folks, thanks very much for your concern. Being a rookie, and unmechanical, this is all foreign to me. I have the 2009 Bighorn 3400RE, so if you look on the heartlandrvs.com website under specs, you will see I have 16" aluminum rims, and E rated tires that max at 80lbs psi. So does that mean I am still over the pin weight or just under? I do have those wonderful Mission tires.

trucknutt, I have no clue what you wrote, but I have called the installer "Camping World" of San Marcos and they are calling Pullrite tomorrow for directions. I am not sure if I have the universal or the removable rails. I will ask. All I know is it was expensive. I got the superrail mount kit #35736 for $409. Where do I find these charts you mentioned? Hopefully they will fix it so I get a smoother ride. I don't think I can take any more epidural cortisone injections in the spine. I am starting to get discouraged for sure. We are planning a 11 day trip starting on Thursday to represent us socal folks at the Central/NoCal rally in Jackson. Then on to wine country rv resort and Pechanga for the socal rally. I may need a gurney to carry me off by the time we are through. I love RVing and have shared many trials and tribulations, but I am starting to wonder now how much longer we can continue if the ride doesnt smooth out somewhat. Darn, just as I was starting to get it. Well, the beat goes on. Bah humbug! We are having so much fun, hope it never ends.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
Larry,
I have had the Trail-Air and the Mor-ryde pinboxes on my Landmark. I like the Mor-Ryde much more as it gives a smoother ride. I do have air bags on the F350 truck. It seems to me your truck is heavy as my F350 weighs 7850 with the draw-tite hitch in the bed and my tool box loaded, full tank of fuel, wife, 2 dogs and me. The Landmark weighs 15990 and my pin weight is 3450. I would suggest you might get a much smoother ride by putting air-bags on the rear of the truck. It sure helps out with the bouncing.

Larryheadhunter

Hi jim,
I also have air bags in my truck. they are the air lift or firestones. I set them at around 50 lbs or so and adjust them to the ride, which as I told you not too smooth. Thanks for the advice anyway.

And I guess my truck is heavy as I have the heavy duty suspension, the camper pkg, and the brake controller, the towing pkg and everything else I could have installed for towing.