Ford 450 vs Ram 3500

jbeletti

Both good choices John. You'll get a lot of replies here from those who own one or the other. You may also want to give Tom Martin a call at Classy Chassis to see which he might suggest to you as he builds with all the big 3.

billk263

California-South Chapter Leaders
Drive them all and choose the one you like the best. They all will do the job.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For20hunter

Pacific Region Directors-Retired
I sure do love my F450!! But Bill is right, drive them both and pick which one suites your likes.

Rod

ILH

Remember... all other technical specifications aside, make sure you like the seats. I know it sounds superficial, but when you're driving those long trips, if you're not comfortable, it makes all the difference in the world.

Bones

I have the Ram 3500 but would consider the F450 because I understand you can get a better turning radius in the 450.

B

BouseBill

What I love best about our F-450, it's paid for LOL Really you can't go wrong with a "small" MDT, other than insurance can be a problem with some companies.

jbeletti

What I love best about our F-450, it's paid for LOL Really you can't go wrong with a "small" MDT, other than insurance can be a problem with some companies.

I've heard that before and it's good that you brought it up as the OP will want to check with their carrier now before they get too far in the purchasing process.

We use Liberty Mutual for insuring ours.

Bones

I've heard that before and it's good that you brought it up as the OP will want to check with their carrier now before they get too far in the purchasing process.

We use Liberty Mutual for insuring ours.

Is the 450 considered a medium duty truck?

Bones

Yes, the 4 and 5 series trucks are MDT...3 series and smaller are LDT.

We have National General Insurance on both the F-450 and trailer.
Thanks. I would still get it but the DW would kill me because I would want Kelderman suspension on it. I couldn't give up my auto level on my current truck

- - - Updated - - -

From Wikipedia (link):

Class 4Medium truck14,001–16,000 pounds (6,351–7,257 kg)Ram 4500, GMC 4500, Ford E-450, Ford F-450 [SUP][9][/SUP], HINO 155 COE[SUP][10][/SUP]

I squeak by with 1 lb to spare

SNOKING

Is the 450 considered a medium duty truck?

In name only. It has the same GVWR of 14K as the F350. That makes both class 3 trucks, similar to the RAM 3500 and GM 3500 duallies.

Table of US GVWR classifications
US truck classDuty classificationWeight limit
Class 1Light truck0–6,000 pounds (0–2,722 kg)
Class 2Light truck6,001–10,000 pounds (2,722–4,536 kg)
Class 3Light truck10,001–14,000 pounds (4,536–6,350 kg)
Class 4Medium truck14,001–16,000 pounds (6,351–7,257 kg)

Making insurance writer aware of this may save on insurance.

Chris

LBR

Thanks. I would still get it but the DW would kill me because I would want Kelderman suspension on it. I couldn't give up my auto level on my current truck

I can relate to what you mean....

We got our 2003 F-550 in 2005 and it has the Ride Rite self-leveling rear air ride suspension...many times we have put 4 tons of flagstone in the bed and the level is 2" lower, if that!

I thought I would REALLY miss that feature with our new F-450....nope, nada....

B

BouseBill

"In name only. It has the same GVWR of 14K as the F350."

Sorry, but even our 2008 has a GVWR of 14.5K (488 gears)

Bones

I can relate to what you mean....

We got our 2003 F-550 in 2005 and it has the Ride Rite self-leveling rear air ride suspension...many times we have put 4 tons of flagstone in the bed and the level is 2" lower, if that!

I thought I would REALLY miss that feature with our new F-450....nope, nada....

Mine rides at the same level no matter the load if within specs.

B

BouseBill

I stand corrected Chris, you are correct :)
Don't quite understand having a F350 with a higher GVWR than a F-450, paper pushers can do screwy things :confused: