added an extra Window or Skylight

chris60

Hi there, I was wondering if anyone has ever added a window or skylight either by themselves, or by a dealer. We really like our 09 3055 Bighorn, but it is much darker than our 04 sprinter. I was thinking a small window by the stove, between the studs, similar to the type in some of the bathrooms. I'm curious about the costs or problems that may be incurred. Another option might be a clear cover on the Fantastic fans. Mine are not transparent at all. Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

Barry & Alana

I agree about window location. I really miss a window - we had one by the cooking area in our previous unit. I thought when we hd our first brochure on the heartland 3055 - it had a window. So, maybe in the previous year or 2 before ours - 2007, theyhad a window. I would like the factory to comment onthat. Maybe its already in the works -

:cool::cool:

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador
I'm interested in this too...not only near the stove, but possibly one in the stool room too....it sometimes feels like a cave in here!

Come on guys can this be done???

sailorand

Past British Columbia Chapter Leader
our 2006 3055 does not have a window in the kitchen. One in the toilet room would be nice

jimtoo

I was an owner of an 06 3055RL and now owner of 08 3055RL. Both have same window arrangements.

Barry & Alana

Perhaps the brochure was a thought in progress at the time of print.

I think if they did put a window there, the spice cupboard ( thats what I call mine) would probably be gone. I don't think theres enough room otherwise. Also, maybe with thestructure or wiring design is preventing a window option. Maybe the factory would chime in. Good thought about the bathroom also. Never thought about that.

jbeletti

The factory is working on a response :)

It won't be an inexpensive venture to add a window what with the cost of the window and the install labor. My sense is that is should be possible to do. I'll advise more on this as soon as I hear back from production.

Jim

jbeletti

Director of Production confirmed that in the 3055, it would be possible for you to have a competent dealer or service center install a window in front of the stove or in the commode room - that there are no framing members or electrical in the way in those exact spots. Once you get over to the bread box area in the 3055, there is plumbing and electrical behind it.

Labor is going to be the largest cost driver in this retrofit. For the do-it-your-selfer, it could be a great project and way to save a lot of labor cost.

Jim

Add a Window Project

Hey Chris,

When you do add the window, the wife and I would be very thankful if you could take pictures, identify the source of the window(s) you bought and describe and/or show the tools you found to work best. It would not have to be as slick as the guy on the Home Depot commercials.

We are very much interested in the commode room window. This will be a deciding factor in our purchase of a Big Horn or not.

FarmerBill and DW - prospective buyers and future fulltimers