Cheap Fans in North Trails

kampfirekid

I can't figure out for the live of me why Heartland builds such a nice trailer, but insists on providing such a junk bathroom fan. We rely on our Fantastic fan in our current trailer's bathroom to ventthe entire trailer, which it does extremely well. The fan in the 31BHD we are currently going to buy couldn't vent the emissions from the backside of a mouse. I guess another $400 and some new upgraded fans will be needed.

mrcomer

Past Ohio Chapter Leaders (Founding)
Sorry to hear you aren't too thrilled with those standard fans. They put these fans in the Bighorn units also. I too was a bit suprised but come to find that they do better than you would think. We also had one of those fans over or bed in the Bighorn. I didn't like how noisy they were. Even though we lived with them in the Bighorn we did upgrade the bathroom fan in the Landmark when we bought it. I really like the Fantastic fan in the bathroom.

Mark

kampfirekid

Sorry to hear you aren't too thrilled with those standard fans. They put these fans in the Bighorn units also. I too was a bit suprised but come to find that they do better than you would think. We also had one of those fans over or bed in the Bighorn. I didn't like how noisy they were. Even though we lived with them in the Bighorn we did upgrade the bathroom fan in the Landmark when we bought it. I really like the Fantastic fan in the bathroom.

Mark

I was going to put on the Max-Air vent covers on this rig, but instead, I'm going to wait and find some reviews on the different fans available. Then, after this season when we have a few trips under ,our belts with the factory fan, I can make a good judgement on what to replace the fan and other vent with. The $300 per fan costs I see seem high, but that includes the Max-Aire fan/vent combo. We use the Fantastic in our current Jayco constantly. Not only does it vent the bathroom from a steamy shower, but it pretty much keeps the entire trailer cool and vented, too. That said, our current Jayco is nowhere the interior size this 31BDH with two slides is. I can't see the factory fan doing much good. We'll see soon.

SmokeyBare

Butch at RV 4 Less, where we bought our Bighorn installed above the bed a "Polar Aire II" fan. I'm sure pleased with his choice.

It's speed controled... so it can be slowed down to provide a soft gentle breeze when we are sleeping. Its gives us inflow as well as exhaust air... so we can decide if we want to exhaust the air or bring in fresh air. Combined with the windows at the head of the bed.. this combination really gives us nice choices.

I did install a Cover over the unit to prevent rain from coming in and soaking the bedding... it also allows a steady flow if air... when it's raining... one more thing the rain sensing fans don't allow.

Edit: I forgot to mention one other difference... the fan can run with the dome lid closed... allows circulation of air within the bedroom.

The Kitchen fan installed at the factory is 3 speed... and pretty loud.

Last edited:

jbeletti

Thanks for sharing Marv. Always wondered how the Shurflo product performed against the Fantastic Vent product.

Polar Aire II on eBay - $130 + $15 S/H - seems like a great price

They have the Platinum unit as well with the remote control. Maybe that's the Polar Aire III??

Jim

Delaine and Lindy

With this 5th wheel it came equiped with the Surflo remote control in the kitchen area and the manual one in the bedroom area. So for they seem to work very well for sure the one with remote control. GBY...

SmokeyBare

Jim,

Seems as I did a search... Shurflo has changed their name of their fans.

Comfort Air is the name they now use.

The Comfort Air III has all the features of their two other units plus a remote control. This would really be a good benefit for the tall ceilings of the Kitchen/Living room area.

Being able to adjust the speed of the fan or direction of air flow would be nice. If I want to slow down the fan I have... I need to get out the step stool and reach for the sky... yep, height challenged I am...

Maybe it's time to upgrade by moving the fan from the Kitchen/Living room into the bath room and install a Comfort Air III in it's place.

Marv

jbeletti

Marv,

If you upgrade your KIT/LR vent fan to the Shurflo model, cleanup and save your 3 speed with rain sensor Fantastic unit as it would be a good item for the Sale table at the June rally. Or put it in your commode room :eek: