Tail lights not working but running lights are

meagle

A friend just called me while traveling in Arizona. He asked for help regarding his 2013 Bighorn fifth wheel. It seems that his tail lights are not working but his running lights are. I believe that both are on the same circuit from the plug in pin. Any ideas and/or suggestions?

Last edited by a moderator:

pegmikef

A friend just called me while traveling in Arizona. He asked for help regarding his 2013 Bighorn fifth wheel. It seems that his tail lights are not working but his running lights are. I believe that both are on the same circuit from the plug in pin. Any ideas and/or suggestions?

First, I would check each of the tail lights. Do the others work (e.g., brake, turn signals)? Could be something like a loose wire.

meagle

Thank you for responding. The bulbs are good and his truck has power to the tail light and running light pin in the connector. He is going to check the cord and junction box that is close to the king pin then go from there.

- - - Updated - - -

On a side note...we currently own a Landmark Grand Canyon, but are considering purchasing a Landmark Oskosh for our next coach. How do you like yours and would you purchase it again?

hoefler

Check the fuses in the truck, most modern day trucks actualy have the trailer turn signals on their own fuses

jayc

Texas-South Chapter Leaders
meagle, we traded our 2011 Grand Canyon in on a 2018 Oshkosh and we love it. Great floor plan and so far, few problems, nothing major.

PHP:

I have a 2014 Bighorn with lighting issues , the running lights, brake lights and turn signals all work by themselves, however if I have running lights on the four way lights do not work.or do the breaks lights.
if I turn off the running lights the four ways work.
I have attached a separate ground wire from the truck to the trailer still no improvement.

2007 Freightliner M2 Allison automatic, air cab,seats and rear suspension juice brakes.
32,000 lbs Binkley hitch.
2014 Heartland Bighorn 3610 RE
Recently retired going full time as of July

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
CamperKirk, if you are having issues with lighting I don't think that adding a separate ground wire will help you out as the neutral wires used for running and signal lights are made using wires to your truck neutral. Not the frame.
I suggest that you use your multi-meter and check the neutral prong of the 7 wire plug on your truck.
Also look under the pin box of your trailer and you should see an electrical box. Inside you will find a bunch of white wires held together with a wire nut. Be sure that all are secure.

Peace
Dave

jnbhobe

The problem may be with the truck, many of the big rigs have a separate circuit for each light.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

The problem may be with the truck, many of the big rigs have a separate circuit for each light.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Thanks for the tip I'll have one of my fellow campers hook up to the trailer and see if all the lights work correctly . At least ill eliminate one ore the other.

- - - Updated - - -

CamperKirk, if you are having issues with lighting I don't think that adding a separate ground wire will help you out as the neutral wires used for running and signal lights are made using wires to your truck neutral. Not the frame.
I suggest that you use your multi-meter and check the neutral prong of the 7 wire plug on your truck.
Also look under the pin box of your trailer and you should see an electrical box. Inside you will find a bunch of white wires held together with a wire nut. Be sure that all are secure.

Peace
Dave
Thank you Dave, I checked the rats nest of wires in the box behind the pin box and cleaned up all of the connections. Still have all lights working as long as the tail lights are off. I am thinking it might be in the truck, I'll have a friend try his truck if it works fine then I'll tackle the truck