Water Softener Install

'Lil Guy'

Thinking to install sediment filter, water softener and then the charcoal filter with the regulator leading to RV. Does this sound right? Or, should I run water supply to softener and then to 2 filters before RV hookup? Thanks in advance.

hoefler

Sediment, Softener, Charcoal is the common order to plumb them in. Water softener is a 10 micron filter in itself. If you are thinking of a portable softener that are designed for RV use, you need to keep in mind that you will have to be able to pour salt in the top of the unit and have somewhere for the water to go during regeneration. Most have an orfice that water just sprays out of. Personaly, I don't use a sediment before my softener, but I do have a 5 micron after the softener.

porthole

Retired
My system uses a sediment 5 micron filter before the softener (came that way with the softener) outside the RV.
That feeds the water manifold and from there it goes to a triple filter, sediment 1 micron, charcoal and a 'polishing charcoal (whatever that is, left overs from my RO system)
Galley sink also has a ceramic filter drinking water tap.

Regulator is on the water hydrant if needed.

B

BouseBill

Just to throw my 2cts in, I run a 5 mic pre-softener, then the water softener, then a 1 mic, and a charcoal filter \
we have a 16K softener from ABC water, works great.

dave10a

If you want your water softner bed of beads to last, put at least a 5 micron filter before the softener. Other wise you will get a lot of sand in the softener from some campgrounds. Also, you might consider a heavy .5 micron carbon/biological filter for your cold water in your sink for drinking and coffee. There are alternate methods as well depending on how much money you want to spend. But that is the way I do it and have had great water all the time as measured by testing for chlorine and impurity.

mlpeloquin

Just a reminder about a fix install of a water softener. There is a two year warranty on the tanks. Out of 40 years of a home unit, I was told that the tanks do fail. Only one out of two did. So it is possible for the water to find a week spot over time and leak. So make sure you put a drain pan and hose to drain out of your rig for protection. I have only had the On-The-Go water softener for about two years. So far so good.

'Lil Guy'

I guess I'll add another sediment filter in front of the softener followed by my dual filters with regulator at end of line going into RV. My duals are .5 micron and the charcoal canister. I don't guess this will impede the pressure that much. Thanks for the replies

Lynn1130

What Marc said, and I have found that in some campgrounds, water pressure is so low that filters make for very slow running water.

dave10a

What Marc said, and I have found that in some campgrounds, water pressure is so low that filters make for very slow running water.
I have found a few that way. So I fill the fresh water tank with that low pressure water and use my trailer pump to supply water from my fresh water tank. Fortunately, most campgrounds have reasonable pressure. That way I still have pristine water.