Looking for an inverter

HTWT

HTWT
I’m looking to install an inverter, think I’ll need about an 1800 watt. Would like it to be true sine wave, have a remote on/off switch, automatic switch-over when shore power is disconnected and a remote battery status monitoring panel. I plan on wiring it directly to a couple of circuit breakers. I’ve been through the 23 pages of Open Roads Forum on the subject but nothing on what I need. Can anyone suggest a model that meets all the above specs? I realize that it may run in excess of $1,000. The Prosine 1800 meets all of the requirements except that I can’t tell if it has a remote on/off switch. The specs say the unit has remote status monitoring of the battery and functional control of the unit (does that mean it has a remote on/off switch?). Any ideas…anything I missed? Thanks, HTWT :rolleyes:

timk

HTWT,
We just installed a couple of Xantrex RS2000 's in our rig and our kids new rig. I think it will meet your requirements, but let me give you my thoughts.

First of all its a quality inverter, with a lot of nice functions. It does have a built in transfer switch. So when you hook up to shore power, the circuits you powered with the inverter are automatically switched to shore power. The battery charger is killer, its fun to watch as 80-90 amps get pumped to the batteries. To install the unit you need to remove two or three 120v circuits from the coach circuit breaker and install a new sub-panel for the same circuits. The inverter will power the new sub-panel. Sounds like a lot of work but its really not too bad.

It does have a remote, from which you can do just about anything you need to.

But here's the catch.

When we installed our unit it had a software version of 1.02xxx and our kids had a software version of 1.03xxx. The older version would go into hibernate mode (turn off) if we left it in power save mode overnight. That means you have to go the unit physically and press the reset button. That was kind of a pain. The kids unit would stay on power save 21 days without a reset.

We picked ours up from camping world at a local store and our kids got theirs from camping world internet. Turns out Xantrex tech service is quite good, the software update is free as long as your under warranty, but I didn't want to have to hook up and drive the rig to the nearest dealer 100 miles. So thought I would test camping worlds customer service policy. Went in one day and explained the situation to the store manager. He was great. He ordered a new unit direct from Xantrex and had it to us in a week, with the latest software version. No questions asked.

Now we have it re-installed and testing it in the driveway, works like a charm. Would I recommend it? Yes but be sure to get at least 1.03xxx software. The software version is printed on the outside of the box on a white sticker below the serial numbers and other info. The sticker is about the size of a pea. So be sure to take good reading glasses, its very little.

I would also think you would want at least 4 batteries to power the unit or any unit of the size your looking at. When the microwave is on it uses about 80 amps. I'm a bit of a battery miser, so I bite my tongue when my wife uses the microwave, but I guess thats what we got it for. Be aware that it uses about 5 amps when idle, in operating mode. But with the remote you have several power saving options available.

Hope this helps.
Good luck with your choice.
TimK

HTWT

HTWT
:D timk, WOW!!!!!! Didn't think I'd get such a helpful answer so quick. I wasn’t considering the inverter/charger combo but you may have convinced me. Ironically, I was visiting my dealer yesterday and he also made the comment “many people who are spending as much for a inverter, consider going to the combo unit for a few $$ more”. Thanks again so much for your help, the software hint is awesome…I thought all I needed was an on/off switch in the coach. HTWT :rolleyes:

timk

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the prosine 2 (2000) (not sure about the 1800) is a inverter charger.
TimK

HTWT

HTWT
timk, you’re right, I just thought it ironic that you said the same thing my dealer did, I’m now looking at the inverter/charger option of the 2.0 rather than just the 1800 inverter. Thanks again, appreciate it, HTWT. :rolleyes:

HTWT

HTWT
Smaller Inverter ??

Does anyone have any idea how large of an inverter I can use with a cigarette lighter plug to connect into the already wired 12v connection in the desk/entertainment area of the Bighorn 3400? I’m looking at the Prowatt RS400 Sinewave Inverter at Camping World. Have no idea how to hook it up and no idea what the 110v plug is for, guess I’ll have to figure that out first. Thanks in advance, HTWT

timk

HTWT said:
Does anyone have any idea how large of an inverter I can use with a cigarette lighter plug to connect into the already wired 12v connection in the desk/entertainment area of the Bighorn 3400? I’m looking at the Prowatt RS400 Sinewave Inverter at Camping World. Have no idea how to hook it up and no idea what the 110v plug is for, guess I’ll have to figure that out first. Thanks in advance, HTWT

HTWT,
I don't think the factory wires will be large enough to power the inverter at the desk location. I would suggest installing it in the floor area below the bathroom. You can remove the romex (120v ac) from the existing breaker panel that feeds the entertainment center, and plug it into the inverter. The inverter has a built in transfer switch, which knows when your rig is plugged in. So when you have shore power it feeds the entertainment center, and when your running on batteries, they will feed the entertainment center. You may have to run larger dc wires to the inverter, the instructions should give you a wire size. You can find a lot of good info at Xantex.com as well.

TimK

svd

Xantrex RS 2000

If you do a search on e-bay for Xantrex RS 2000, there is someone there with 5 of them for $850 each. Brand new, and he is an RV dealer I believe. Seems like a heck of a deal. We just picked up our trailer, and I can't convince the DW I need it (we never camp dry). Steve