Kitchen drawer reinforcement.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Had to pull out two of the kitchen drawers to get something that fell behind. Good thing cuz I learned the bottoms were coming loose, front and back. The front wasn’t noticeable since it still rested on the locking device underneath. Fortunately I have my pneumatic narrow crown stapler with me and a supply of thin wood strips that were destined for the campfire. Used the strips to add support and shot 3/4” staples into the drawer boxes. Checked all 9 drawers and fixed 5 of them. None of them ever held a cinder block, either.

The bottoms are made from thin leftover wall board. If they weren’t set into dadoes along the sides, they would have collapsed long ago. Tiny, thin wire staples are all that were used on the ends.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator:

mlpeloquin

You know about not kneeling on the dinning room chairs to pick up something on the floor. Don't or you will learn how to take the seat off, all the covering and foam, use it as a template to make a new seat. I am glad I have a pneumatic stapler. Now I can kneel on one, but I don't remember which one.

pegmikef

Had to pull out two of the kitchen drawers to get something that fell behind. Good thing cuz I learned the bottoms were coming loose, front and back. The front wasn’t noticeable since it still rested on the locking device underneath. Fortunately I have my pneumatic narrow crown stapler with me and a supply of thin wood strips that were destined for the campfire. Used the strips to add support and shot 3/4” staples into the drawer boxes. Checked all 9 drawers and fixed 5 of them. None of them ever held a cinder block, either.

The bottoms are made from thin leftover wall board. If they weren’t set into dadoes along the sides, they would have collapsed long ago. Tiny, thin wire staples are all that were used on the ends.

Been there, done that in three HL rigs now including my new Oshkosh . . . same crew must make the drawers and chair storage compartments for all rigs.

travelin2

Pennsylvania Chapter Leaders-retired
BTDT...reinforced kitchen drawers in both Bighorns

JohnDar

Also used the stapler to secure the inside wall to the rear cap framing as it was starting to bow a bit at the bottom on one side.

We’ll be heading home Monday for a couple of weeks, so finishing the roof taping will have to wait. Too hot today to get up there.

After almost 10 summers of use, it’s still in pretty good shape. Everything still works.

jbeletti

My previous LM drawers were awesome. Current unit drawers are not. I reinforced all my pantry drawer bottoms after blowing the bottom out of one.

JohnDar

My previous LM drawers were awesome. Current unit drawers are not. I reinforced all my pantry drawer bottoms after blowing the bottom out of one.

On one of them, the wallboard was cut so ragged that the staples were trying to hold splinters. My kindling lives to serve another day.