3175RE air conditioner

Crutch

My wife and I purchased this new 2017 3175re July 2017. We've been camping about 10 times since and every time it takes about two good days before the camper really starts to cool. And then only at night but not in the daytime. I asked if we could add another unit but the price was ridiculous. Anyone else have this problem with similar models if so what was your remedy?

Thanks
Crutch

danemayer

Hi Crutch,

If your Wilderness has 50 amp electric service, and is prepped for an optional 2nd A/C unit, it should probably cost around $1,000, maybe a bit less or a bit more.

If you have only 30 amp electric service, you'd have to first upgrade the electric all the way from power cord through internal wiring, and replace the main circuit breaker panel. That would add a lot of cost.

And if the design of the trailer didn't include an optional 2nd A/C unit, that would increase the difficulty and cost of the installation.

You might take a look at portable floor A/C units that exhaust through a window. Even if your trailer has only 30 amp electric, you could probably run a suitable extension cord out to the 20 amp receptacle on the power pedestal to power the portable unit. While they take up floor space, I think they cost $400-600. Look at Home Depot, Lowes, or Amazon.com.

jsmadams

My wife and I purchased this new 2017 3175re July 2017. We've been camping about 10 times since and every time it takes about two good days before the camper really starts to cool. And then only at night but not in the daytime. I asked if we could add another unit but the price was ridiculous. Anyone else have this problem with similar models if so what was your remedy?

Thanks
Crutch
I have a 2016 3175RE with one 13500 btu a/c. We've had the same problem. This size rv should not come with one a/c unit especially a 13500. We had to stay at a rv park in Augusta Ga. with no shade for three weeks last summer. It was unbearable. Tired a portable unit but kept tripping the breaker with both units running. Solution: I just installed a second 13500 btu Domectic Brisk II unit in the bathroom vent location. I supplied a separate power supply. I installed it in the bathroom vent location so I wouldn't have to cut a hole in the roof as a trial to see how well it works. It was 95° degrees the next day. With both units running the temperature inside got to 70°. Going on a two week trip Sunday, anticipating cool times. If everything stays cool I might move it to the bedroom later and put the vent back in the bathroom.

jsmadams

Thanks
Crutch
I forgot to mention the cost of the install. $549 plus tax for the a/c including the inside air distribution box and heating coil approx $35 for 25' of wire.