Class A license needed in California?

Sigurd

Just bought a new 40’ torque 314 bumper pull toy hauler. Do I need a Class A license to pull it? It’s right around 9k lbs. thanks for any help.

mlpeloquin

Re: Class A license needed?

In California:
Class C less than or equal to 26,000 lbs with the 41 restriction.
Restrictions 41-May tow fifth wheel recreational trailer between 10K and 15K lbs GVWR

A Class A CDL License is required when the Gross Combined Vehicle Weight Ratings (GCVWR) of the truck and trailer totals 26,001 or more provided the GVWR of the vehicle(s) being towed is in excess of 10,000 pounds.

So I would call the DMV for clarification, because you maybe under 26,000 lbs and over 15k lbs.

Sigurd

In California:
Restrictions 41-May tow fifth wheel recreational trailer between 10K and 15K lbs GVWR

A Class A CDL License is required when the Gross Combined Vehicle Weight Ratings (GCVWR) of the truck and trailer totals 26,001 or more provided the GVWR of the vehicle(s) being towed is in excess of 10,000 pounds.

So I would call the DMV for clarification, because you maybe under 26,000 lbs and over 15k lbs.

So if I understand that correctly, if my trailer weighs more than 10k loaded, I would need a valid Class A and a med cert?

richheck

Seasoned Member

So if I understand that correctly, if my trailer weighs more than 10k loaded, I would need a valid Class A and a med cert?
It doesn’t matter what the trailer actually weighs, it’s the manufacture sticker GVWR of the trailer that they go by. My suggestion is to apply for a “non commercial class A” and yes Your required to submit a Compleded and signed by your doctor “DL 546” form.

Loren1227

The information that mipeloquin is spot on. The medical card is another part of the equation and the doctor will decide how long the card is good for. Could be 1 month to 2 years. Medical factors determine the length of the card.

SLO

It doesn’t matter what the trailer actually weighs, it’s the manufacture sticker GVWR of the trailer that they go by. My suggestion is to apply for a “non commercial class A” and yes Your required to submit a Compleded and signed by your doctor “DL 546” form.

The DMV form DL 546 does not need to be signed by your doctor.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Loren1227

I am basing my information on my own personel experience as I am a Class A Driver in the State of California and the section I give to DMV to update my license requires the doctors signature.

Oldelevatorman

In California:

If your trailer is over 15k you need a Non-Comm. Class A, and not based on combined weight like some states. Between 10k-15k you'll just need an endorsement on your regular license if I remember correctly. Endorsement is just a written test, Non-Comm is written, driving with your rig etc. and you need to bring a driver with you who already has one or a CDL. If you're in NorCal, they're toughest at the W Sac DMV, where I got mine and not as tough in Stockton or Yuba City from what I've heard! There is a medical form but it doesn't require a Doctor signature!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sigurd

If your trailer is over 15k you need a Non-Comm. Class A, and not based on combined weight like some states. Between 10k-15k you'll just need an endorsement on your regular license if I remember correctly. Endorsement is just a written test, Non-Comm is written, driving with your rig etc. and you need to bring a driver with you who already has one or a CDL. If you're in NorCal, they're toughest at the W Sac DMV, where I got mine and not as tough in Stockton or Yuba City from what I've heard! There is a medical form but it doesn't require a Doctor signature!

Thanks for the info. I already have a class A with every endorsement possible including haz-mat. Just want to make sure I can hand off the rig to the wifey if need be. Are the othe lower 47 states not as strict?

richheck

Seasoned Member

The DMV form DL 546 does not need to be signed by your doctor.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

After reading the bottom print on the form I’m glad you pointed that out. Thanks

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Razorbackfan

USN Chief

If your trailer is over 10k and under 15k and a fifth wheel you just need an endorsement which doesn’t require a medical card just passing all the tests.
I lived out there 3 years and never saw or heard of anyone getting cited for not having an endorsement and pulling a 9k bumper pull I wouldn’t worry about it.

356ADE32-AF6E-425F-BE12-3AE8E2D55758.jpg

B

BouseBill

Thanks for the info. I already have a class A with every endorsement possible including haz-mat. Just want to make sure I can hand off the rig to the wifey if need be. Are the othe lower 47 states not as strict?

Most other states that I drive in exempt RVs from the CDL requirement. SD is exempt for sure.

Oldelevatorman

I think she would at least need a permit to drive, which she can get by just taking the RV written test which is easy!