coach light replacment bulb question

Bobby A

All my interior lights have had the 1141 bulbs, I had to replace a couple the other day and asked the person at the counter of the auto parts store if there was a bulb that was brighten then the 1141's. She showed me a Sylvania Silverstar bulb, number 1156 that looks identical to the 1141, it says on the package that its a whiter light. I bought one package to try and it sure is brighter/whiter than the original 1141's. Does anyone know if its save to replace the whole coach with these new brighter bulbs ?? Thank you,

jbeletti

Bobby, the Silverstar 1156 is rated at 26.9 watts (link) whereas the Longlife 1141 is rated 1t 18.4 watts (link). I don't know what your fixtures are rated at but they are likely marked. Go ahead and remove the bulbs from a fixture and look it over really well for a Max Watts marking. Bear in mind too that the each additional 1156 bulb is 8.4 additional watts - 16.8 additional in a dual bulb fixture. Just bear this in mind for each circuit.

Have you considered converting to LED as the old bulbs burn out? You'd have color temperature and brightness choices in those too.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Changing over to LED’s greatly reduces your power consumption, heat , and the risk of fire if you forget to turn off a light for an extended period like the closet or basement. They also last a lot longer than the incandescent ones.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

carl.swoyer

All my interior lights have had the 1141 bulbs, I had to replace a couple the other day and asked the person at the counter of the auto parts store if there was a bulb that was brighten then the 1141's. She showed me a Sylvania Silverstar bulb, number 1156 that looks identical to the 1141, it says on the package that its a whiter light. I bought one package to try and it sure is brighter/whiter than the original 1141's. Does anyone know if its save to replace the whole coach with these new brighter bulbs ?? Thank you,
I replaced every light bulb in my rig. I purchased warm white should have gone with Brite white. But its done. Purchased everything on the internet. Allot cheaper than the store.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Bobby A

Thank you guys for replying, I wanted to reach out to the Heartland family before I did anything rash. Jim/John, the LED's you speak of, do you have to replace the whole fixture ?? or just bulbs ?? I was looking for a quick fix and just replace bulbs. I will do as you suggest Jim and see if I can see any markings. Thank you very much

WillyBill

I found 1156 base LED's on Amazon last year for barely over a dollar per bulb. They fit right into the stock socket so no parts to change. Put 40 of them in and around my 2011 3612 Cyclone. Batteries last WAAAY longer between charges. I like the bright white color personally but some don't. You may want to compare colors in a store before ordering a bunch.

WB

jbeletti

Thank you guys for replying, I wanted to reach out to the Heartland family before I did anything rash. Jim/John, the LED's you speak of, do you have to replace the whole fixture ?? or just bulbs ?? I was looking for a quick fix and just replace bulbs. I will do as you suggest Jim and see if I can see any markings. Thank you very much

Bobby - you can do either. Using the links I provided, you can also see their LED line. Just buy bulbs with the same base as your current bulbs. Also, refer to a color temperature chart to dial in your preference. I'm thinking you want something in the 4000k+ range for the whiteness you mentioned you liked. It would be a bad day to place a high-count order to replace all your bulbs and receive something in the 3000k range and be too yellow of a light when you expected whiter :)

JohnDar

Just the bulbs, Bobby. Look for ones with an 1141/1156 base. The one in the wall sconces are different, though, with two contacts on the base, not just one. I might have the old invoices at home. Will check this afternoon (getting an oil change at the moment). You can find them for the stove hood, dining table light, bathroom vanity, and the cans over the sofa, too.

The only ones I didn’t change are the scare lights since they rarely get used.

Sorry, Bobby, I don't have the invoices on file anymore. But I did get them on eBay.

Last edited:

Bobby A

I found 1156 base LED's on Amazon last year for barely over a dollar per bulb. They fit right into the stock socket so no parts to change. Put 40 of them in and around my 2011 3612 Cyclone. Batteries last WAAAY longer between charges. I like the bright white color personally but some don't. You may want to compare colors in a store before ordering a bunch.

WB

Thanks WillyBill, I like the bright white also, been living in a yellow type light for way to long, time to upgrade, I will check Amazon as you suggest.

- - - Updated - - -

Bobby - you can do either. Using the links I provided, you can also see their LED line. Just buy bulbs with the same base as your current bulbs. Also, refer to a color temperature chart to dial in your preference. I'm thinking you want something in the 4000k+ range for the whiteness you mentioned you liked. It would be a bad day to place a high-count order to replace all your bulbs and receive something in the 3000k range and be too yellow of a light when you expected whiter :)

Yes, you are exactly right Jim, thank you very much for the links, as you said, I do like the 1156 whiter light that I just bought, I will check for the 4000K range for whitness as you suggest for a comparison. Thanks again friend,
Bobby

WillyBill

@Bobby A

The exact listing I bought from Amazon is no longer valid but these (listing below) look like the same bulbs I bought - price is about $6 more but these have the same amount of LEDs on them (68) and are the same color. Warning - these are VERY white - Sherry and I like them and they are much easier to read by than the yellower colors IMHO. Whatever you pick, make sure to get bulbs with LEDs on the end for better light dispersal. Happy shopping.

WB

https://www.amazon.com/1141-Interio...pID=61vOGslof7L&preST=_SY300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch

Bobby A

Just the bulbs, Bobby. Look for ones with an 1141/1156 base. The one in the wall sconces are different, though, with two contacts on the base, not just one. I might have the old invoices at home. Will check this afternoon (getting an oil change at the moment). You can find them for the stove hood, dining table light, bathroom vanity, and the cans over the sofa, too.

The only ones I didn’t change are the scare lights since they rarely get used.

Sorry, Bobby, I don't have the invoices on file anymore. But I did get them on eBay.

Thanks for checking John

- - - Updated - - -

@Bobby A

The exact listing I bought from Amazon is no longer valid but these (listing below) look like the same bulbs I bought - price is about $6 more but these have the same amount of LEDs on them (68) and are the same color. Warning - these are VERY white - Sherry and I like them and they are much easier to read by than the yellower colors IMHO. Whatever you pick, make sure to get bulbs with LEDs on the end for better light dispersal. Happy shopping.

WB

https://www.amazon.com/1141-Interio...pID=61vOGslof7L&preST=_SY300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch

Thanks Willy Bill, that's what I'm looking for, I will go on Amazon tonight and place an order. Thanks very much

Bobby A

@Bobby A

WB

Just received and replaced the new LED bulbs you were talking about from Amazon, the wife likes them very much, we will see what they look like tonight. Thank you for the recommendation, I think it was $28.00 for 20 bulbs, I am ok with that. Now, do you or anyone know if you can replace the round reading lights that's in the bedroom with something like that?? but in a spot light, I think they call it. Its the same base as the 1141/1156 but in a round type light. Thanks everyone,

JohnDar

Yes you can. I replaced all four of them (two over sofa and two over bed). They look like little spotlights. I also added switches for the two over the bed that are mounted just above the little shelves on either side of the bed so we can operate them without having to get up.

Bobby A

Yes you can. I replaced all four of them (two over sofa and two over bed). They look like little spotlights. I also added switches for the two over the bed that are mounted just above the little shelves on either side of the bed so we can operate them without having to get up.

Thanks John,
As always, you advise is awesome and appreciated. My wife likes to read in bed before she goes to sleep, and since she seen how good these new ones are in the coach she asked about the little spots in the bedroom and over the loveseat in the living room. I will remove one and go to the auto parts store tomorrow and see if they have them, or General RV is close to me hear in Wixom. You wouldn't happen to have the part # or what brand would you? Don't think ordering on line for just 2 or 4 bulbs is necessary unless they are outrageous in price.

Also, I talked to Lynn today, what a nice lady.

Bobby

JohnDar

Bobby, I bought mine on eBay, but maybe you can find them elsewhere. Since it’s become popular to swap out the old bulbs for LED’s, the stores are getting on the bandwagon.

Yes, Lynn is a nice lady.

Bobby A

Bobby, I bought mine on eBay, but maybe you can find them elsewhere. Since it’s become popular to swap out the old bulbs for LED’s, the stores are getting on the bandwagon.

Yes, Lynn is a nice lady.

Thanks John,
I will look and keep you posted.
A friend of mine had a company do his graphics on his nose of his 5th wheel, the company he used was out of Pensacola, Fl. they been in business for 30 years and guarantee there product for 8 years. I would like to coordinate with this company and Lynn to make this happen. Thanks for the contact. I will keep you posted

JohnDar

Thanks John,
I will look and keep you posted.
A friend of mine had a company do his graphics on his nose of his 5th wheel, the company he used was out of Pensacola, Fl. they been in business for 30 years and guarantee there product for 8 years. I would like to coordinate with this company and Lynn to make this happen. Thanks for the contact. I will keep you posted

This is how I solved the problem of turning the reading lamps on/off over the bed. I made the wood mounting plates to allow easier wiring. The switch and plastic conduit is available on eBay and Amazon for not too much $$. Once Darlene painted the conduit, it's almost invisible.

Attachments

• Reading Lamp and Switch.jpg
    Reading Lamp and Switch.jpg
    147.3 KB · Views: 30
  • After Painting.jpg
    After Painting.jpg
    156.9 KB · Views: 27

Bobby A

This is how I solved the problem of turning the reading lamps on/off over the bed. I made the wood mounting plates to allow easier wiring. The switch and plastic conduit is available on eBay and Amazon for not too much $$. Once Darlene painted the conduit, it's almost invisible.

That's nice John, good job !! I am having a hard time finding the right LED for the reading lights on line. I went to General RV and they did not have them but the guy at the counter gave me a copy of a catalog, he says the exact replacement in LED is a BA15S Base Reading Light Long Neck, I cant seem to locate it. Any help would be appreciated,
Thank you, Never Mind, I think I just found it.
Bobby

Last edited:

JohnDar

That's nice John, good job !! I am having a hard time finding the right LED for the reading lights on line. I went to General RV and they did not have them but the guy at the counter gave me a copy of a catalog, he says the exact replacement in LED is a BA15S Base Reading Light Long Neck, I cant seem to locate it. Any help would be appreciated,
Thank you,
Bobby

Bobby, I think the BA15S is actually an 1156 base. If you enter BA15S LED reading lamp in a search on either eBay or Superbrightled.com sites, you may find them. Might have to scroll through a bunch of pictures to find the right style. We’ll be back at our rig on Tuesday and I can take a look at one of mine for info.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk