The more I read the more confused.

slasa

The more I think I understand it the more confused I get. In regards to TV. We were really impressed with the 3950. Actually fell in love with it. Right now we own a 07 Dodge 3500 CTD SRW. Absolutely love this truck. I also understand that the pin wt on this trailer may be too much for the truck. I know the Cummins will pull a house but I don't want to guessing about the braking capabilities when I need to stop. After checking out the specs on F350 & 3500 DRW I see that the payload capacities greatly increases but the GCVWR remains at 24K. I also understand that these trailers are heavy, just from what owners are posting on here. At 18k GVW that only leaves 6k for the truck. With fuel and 2 passengers, misc items, we're over that. Which puts us over the 24K GCVW. My questions are 1. Am I reading this right? 2. Are these trucks enough of a truck? #. Am I better of we a 4500 Chassis cab or F450? I need help and I'm all ears to advice.

HappyKayakers

We have an '06 Dodge 3500 CTD SRW pulling our '06 3600RL. The Bighorn has a GVWR of 16k. Right now, we're at (or barely over) all our limits. We had an exhaust brake installed for extra help going downhill. IMHO, I'd feel much better towing your rig with a bigger truck. Be sure to check the rear axle ratios for changes in GCVWR.

Shadowchek

That is just a lot of weight to put on 2 rear tires. If I was to go any bigger than what I have a 3400rl and a ford f350 srw I would want to go to a 450 dually. We do fine but I would say we are at our limit with 1 ton srw. Some people do it but I would think hard before I did that. Nothing worse than having your tv undersized. I have been there and all I could think about every time we went out was getting a bigger truck.

Greg

billd

You could get an F350 DRW with Towboss package that would take you to 26K on the GCVWR.

An F450 or 4500 would do nicely, but check on insurance on these models. Most companies rate these as commercial only and it can get expensive to insure.

Bill

creeper

We loved the 3950, but passed on it because of the weight. I already own a 2008 F350, So the 3400rl is the biggest we'd go. Puts me close to the weight limits on GVWR when fully loaded, aux fuel tank etc...

Delaine and Lindy

Keep in mind if your 5th wheels weight is 16,000 your Gross weight (Truck and Trailer combined) you will be at or over a 1 ton DRW capacity. I had a Chevy Kodiak 4500 2 wd and its weight was 10,900 lbs with a load of fuel and ready for the road. With the Kodiak hooked to the Cambridge the total weight was 27,600 lbs, so remember the weights for the Kodiak was 17,500 and 26,000 so I was over 1,600 lbs, but again the Kodiak handle it with no problem. I'm not sure of the weight of the F-450's but I'm sure of the weights of the GM Trucks that I have owned and they were on a Cat scale. The RV industry has designed and build what we as RVer's want, and are buying. Now if you go to the real MDT's which have GCWR of 33,000 or more. But then look at the cost $$$$$. Most 5th wheels are at or close to the capacity of the 1 ton DRW Trucks or are over, not to mention the 3/4 tons. I am very big on Disk brakes for 5th wheels, it will make a world of difference in stopping ability. I can assure of one thing the Duramax/Allison can handle most 5th wheels that weight 16,000 to 18,000 they will be over but they can handle them when driven properly. Its your choice and decision. I'm sure there will be some disagreement so this is my Opinion and I do have many years experience around large Trucks and Trailers and still have a Class A (CDL) just in case I need it. Good Luck... GBY....

P.S. Oh yes my Ins on the Kodiak was very close to the 3500's I have owned. If you do look at a Cab and Chassis be very careful the ride will never compete with a upgraded 4500, things like the Link Air ride suspension, Air ride seats etc, my Chevy Kodiak 4500 was the best riding Truck we have pulled a 5th wheel with. We had RV explorer Inc. GEICO wouldn't Insure the 4500???