Nose decals

Bobby A

O.k. not sure where to post this, so moderators move to right area if necessary.
I am tired of my pealing and glue bleed run off of my nose decals. Today I started peeling the nose decals off with a heat gun, not to difficult just gotta get the right heat and right pressure to peel it off in mostly one piece. My question is the glue bleed run off is very difficult to come off. Goo gone is useless, does anyone know of a product that really works to remove this baked on glue from the decals ?? Thank you,

Landmark50

I’ve had some success with lighter fluid, you have to be quick though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rhodies1

Try WD 40. If not check your local RV dealer,the service center uses a product to remove old caulk and the small labels affixed to your rig when you purchase.Not sure of the name but works very well at cleaning and does not affect your finish.you need to be careful when rubbing hard on the finish of the unit,you can scratch/ dull the gel coat.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Not a bad idea, Bobby. My decals are looking shabby, too. When I wash the rig, the edges break off.

As far as dulling the 10 year old gel coat, it’s done that all on its own.

carl.swoyer

O.k. not sure where to post this, so moderators move to right area if necessary.
I am tired of my pealing and glue bleed run off of my nose decals. Today I started peeling the nose decals off with a heat gun, not to difficult just gotta get the right heat and right pressure to peel it off in mostly one piece. My question is the glue bleed run off is very difficult to come off. Goo gone is useless, does anyone know of a product that really works to remove this baked on glue from the decals ?? Thank you,
Try this,
I use it for cleaning up the old silicone before a reseal on my Landmark. It worked excellent for old glue as well. It's an automotive product. Leaves no residual.
20b5c9cd3e22c7a654f37e4bc0caf723.jpg

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

JohnDar

I wonder if Polishing Cream, not compound, would help bring back some luster. Worked great as the final process in repairing scratches in the Hanex countertop.

Bobby A

Try this,
I use it for cleaning up the old silicone before a reseal on my Landmark. It worked excellent for old glue as well. It's an automotive product. Leaves no residual.
20b5c9cd3e22c7a654f37e4bc0caf723.jpg

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Thanks everyone for your ideas, I will see if I can find this stuf Carl, keep the post/ideas coming, I'm open for suggestion. I have a couple days before I start the clean up. I'm doing one decal at a time, it kinda looks like there is 4 decals on the nose of mine, not exactly sure though. John, that's exactly what mine has done and I'm tired of looking at it. A friend of mine cleaned up there rig and had someone put a wrap on the nose, they claim it would last 8 years, that's longer than my decals lasted.

Bobby A

Well, I must of had a burst of ambition this day, got all the old nasty looking decals off the nose, now all is left is the glue that blead through the decal. This is gonna be the hard part. A heat gun on low setting made easy work of getting the decals off. Now off to the store and see what I can find to remove the glue. I kinda remember a neighbor in florida using his wifes nail polish remover, I may start with that, as its probably the cheapest, but money is no object, I need to get this glue off. I will post back with my findings, but if anyone knows of a product that is tried and proven to work, please chime in.

Bobby A

Try “goof off it’s differentthan goo gone, but as always try it on a small spot first.

You Nailed it CoveredWagon, !!! Goof off is the ticket !!! I can't thank you enough !! You saved me hours of work. Goof off penetrated that glue like a hot knife going through butter !!! I thought this whole process was gonna take me a few days, I got it done in a couple hours !!! I will be throwing away my goo gone to NEVER buy it again !! Goof Off will be in my cabinet from now on !!
Anyone gonna tackle this project, tools needed is a heat gun, plastic scraper, and GOOF OFF !!!!
Thank you so much !!
Bobby A

Goof Off is also the product to use to remove the roadway lane marking paint sprayed up on your vehicle’s fenders if you are unfortunate enough to encounter roadway lane marking. It removes the paint without damaging the automotive finish. It also will work on your RV as well but you will need to experiment if decals are involved.

JohnDar

You Nailed it CoveredWagon, !!! Goof off is the ticket !!! I can't thank you enough !! You saved me hours of work. Goof off penetrated that glue like a hot knife going through butter !!! I thought this whole process was gonna take me a few days, I got it done in a couple hours !!! I will be throwing away my goo gone to NEVER buy it again !! Goof Off will be in my cabinet from now on !!
Anyone gonna tackle this project, tools needed is a heat gun, plastic scraper, and GOOF OFF !!!!
Thank you so much !!
Bobby A

Are you going to get it wrapped, replace the decal, or just leave it "nekkid?" If I do the same, the decals on the ODS will have to go, as well. They're all peeling, too. Could just strip all of the decals off and get a big, vinyl American flag for the nose (unless the Chinese also own Thor).

CoveredWagon

CAUTION CAUTION CAUTION !!!! Be careful with goof off it can get you in trouble. There are times and places where goo gone is the correct choice. Try either in a small place first. Trust me I know.

Bobby A

Are you going to get it wrapped, replace the decal, or just leave it "nekkid?" If I do the same, the decals on the ODS will have to go, as well. They're all peeling, too. Could just strip all of the decals off and get a big, vinyl American flag for the nose (unless the Chinese also own Thor).

Well John, it will be naked for the rest of this season, a friend of mine put a wrap on his nose and the company that did it warrantied it for 8 years. That is way longer than my decals lasted. I would like a bald eagle with an American flag if I can find the right wrap.

CoveredWagon what should you NOT use GOOF OFF on ?? Please explain unless its a sore spot. LOL Thanks again

JohnDar

Bobby, let me know what you come up with. I do know a young (relatively) woman that does vinyl graphics for a living. She’s done the graphics for many of the FD’s and local businesses. Her husband is a friend on another FD. Had her do some exterior USAF FD stick-on badges for me several years ago to give to my troops.

Bobby A

Bobby, let me know what you come up with. I do know a young (relatively) woman that does vinyl graphics for a living. She’s done the graphics for many of the FD’s and local businesses. Her husband is a friend on another FD. Had her do some exterior USAF FD stick-on badges for me several years ago to give to my troops.

John,
I would entertain that idea, is she mobile ?? you know where I live, would she come out hear ??
Thanks,
Bobby