Big Horn insulation in very cold weather

bld911b

I'm considering the Big Horn as one of three finalist before I purchase this Spring. One of my concerns is: how well does the Big horn perform in very cold weather? I know there have been factory claims of insulation values, but do any of you have 1st hand knowledge of cold weather use.
Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Bill

K

Ken Washington

My advise would be to order your unit with two heat pump air conditioners and get the dual-pane windows. These large units take alot of energy for heat and cooling.

bld911b

Big Horn cold weather use

Thanks for reply. I have a high efficiency heat pump in my home, but does very little in heating below 20 degrees. I checked with my ac/heating company and they agreed that for low tempatures they do little in heating.

If any of you have taken your Big Horn in to cold weather , I'd like to hear from you.

Thanks,

Bill

K

Ken Washington

Bill,
We spent a week at the beach with temp. around 40 at night and used alot of propane. At the temp. you are talking about be prepaired to buy alot of fuel. In the week at the beach, we used about 30 gallons for cooking and heating. I would still have two units to help with heating and cooling. I will never ever buy a fifth wheel with out two units. Just trying to help!

Tom of Ypsi

You can cut down on propane costs by buying a portable electric heater. As long as you do not get charged for electricity it works out good. Also try an electric blanket or those cold nights, turn down the furnace at night and you also cut down on propane costs.

timk

Bill,
It was 50 last night, seemed a little nippy to me. Heat worked fine.
TimK

tinytim

Sitting in Knoxville, TN right now, it is about 20 outside--feels like 8 according to the weather channel (www.weather.com). The furnace has been running non-stop all night, which is understandable. It feels a little chilly when you get out of bed, but once you head outside and come back in you can definately tell that it is holding a little warmth in the camper. I still have a volume/flow issue with the heater, blows like mad in the bedroom....and virtually nothing in the kitchen/living room. I even got up this morning and tore the underbelly apart looking for leaks...problem is, I can't reach anything but the underbelly is nice and warm--which leads me to believe there is an air leak somewhere, maybe a duct not taped right (those QC guys....I tell ya'). Anyway, I think you will be allright if you opt for the thermal pane windows and ensure there is decent flow throughout the whole coach...FYI, I have the same flow issue with the A/C unit.....however, you can't feel anything out of the vents!

All in all, it is a nice coach, we were pricing out a Jayco with the same floor plan, and I just felt like I got more for the $$$ with the Big Horn.

By the way, I have a 2006 3655RD.

Good luck!

K

Ken Washington

TinyTim,
Your underbelly feels warm because there is a open hose off the heater that keeps the pipes from freezing. I found it just looking around one day and thought I had found something not hooked up. I think if I were going to go full timing, I would go for a motor coach. I would not like spending alot of time in cold weather in any fifth wheel. I guess we buy what soots our needs!

tinytim

Ken Washington said:
TinyTim,
Your underbelly feels warm because there is a open hose off the heater that keeps the pipes from freezing. I found it just looking around one day and thought I had found something not hooked up. I think if I were going to go full timing, I would go for a motor coach. I would not like spending alot of time in cold weather in any fifth wheel. I guess we buy what soots our needs!
That would explain the warmth part of the underbelly, I am trying to figure out where the the flow/volume is going if not in the kitchen and living room??? I am going to block off the bedroom completely and then the volume should increase in other areas of the coach. I am aware that the bedroom is a 4" duct, bathroom is a 2" and kitchen/living is another 4". I am actually at the dealership now camping in the coach as we just purchased it yesterday. I had no idea it was going to be this cold in Knoxville, TN.

We spent out two weeks out on our trial run in St George and Mesquite with temperatures around 32 to 37 deg. at night and we used three tanks 7.5 gal,
In Jan we headed south for the winter Nev, Az, and Ca. our first ten days in Nev. I used a couple of tanks 7.5 gal .We had an electric space heater, Fireplace and used heater in the morning.
In Arizona in a week I went through about four tanks the temps were cold at night and cool in day, we were dry camping and I using a 55K LPG Onan generator, Furnace and our coach had a electric fireplace I think it’s about 15 Kw. We were having breaker switch problems first on the site power then the generator breakers 20 AMP were braking figured out the amps and we were at some times 33 amps as close as I could figure.
In Quartzite, Az. I purchased a Wave 8 LPG catalytic heater I think about 10,000 BTU three setting that unit really works well, and cut down on our propane use.
Hope this give you some insight on what we have experienced in 2 1/2 months but remember if you have and use all these products you’ll have to pay to play.
Sonny

Last edited:
K

Ken Washington

Sonnybeech,
Please tell me a little about the Wave 8 LPG heater. Is it electric and do they have a web site? Do you think it is a safe unit to run all night while you sleep? Thanks, Ken

Ken
The wave 8 is LPG and can be installed permanent, right know I'm using it as a portable w/ LPG tank. It is safe to run all night! we dont use it all night it gets to warm, Maybe leave open a small craked window it does creates some window moisture. They have 4, 6, 8 and 10 all different BTU
(From one dealer)The top of the Olympian line, the Wave-8 is fully adjustable from 4200 to 7600 BTUs, enough heat to comfortably warm a 23´ trailer, motorhome or RV.

The Wave-8 can be made portable with optional leg stands, recessed with the optional recess kit, or hung on the wall, either horizontally or vertically. Weighing only 14 lbs., the Wave-8 comes with a full three year guarantee.
One outlet and I'm sure different prices!
http://www.rvpartscenter.com/ProductDetail.asp?PID=34730&RP=Default
sonny

Last edited:
K

Ken Washington

Sonnybeech,
Thanks for the info. I am still trying to decide on something like this or one that runs on electricity. Does anyone else have a good way of saving on propane?