What do we need in a start up kit for the new camper?

We are going to do the PDI on our new Trail Runner 25' bumper pull on Tuesday and wonder if someone somewhere has a list of the things we will need to make ready to go on our maiden voyage.
I don't mean dishes and towels, etc., but more like the tools of RVing...
Any help will be appreciated!!

Loren1227

Each time we go out we have a certain routine we follow and try not to deviate so we don't forget anything. You need to develop your own.
Lots of patience and plenty of time
Surge protector
White and Black Water Hoses with regulator
Sewer Hose
Flashlights
RV TP
A good tool kit
A pre trip and post trip list
There are several more items that you will need.
I am sure others will chime in.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Add toilet chemicals, either liquid or pods. (There are alternatives, but that can come later.). A toilet brush is handy, not just to clean the bowl, but to clean the underside of the gasket.

Depending on where you’re going, a water pressure regulator and filtration system is desirable.

A set of leveling blocks or lengths of board may be good if your site isn’t level.

A large ground mat to place next to the entry will help cut down the dirt that gets tracked in. I keep a dish brush outside the door to clean my shoes off.

Your spending has only just begun!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

pjones1969

We are going to do the PDI on our new Trail Runner 25' bumper pull on Tuesday and wonder if someone somewhere has a list of the things we will need to make ready to go on our maiden voyage.
I don't mean dishes and towels, etc., but more like the tools of RVing...
Any help will be appreciated!!

Quality sewer hose and extensions
Clear sewer 90 or 45
Disposable rubber gloves
Hand sanitizer
A way to separately store your sewer related items from your drinking water items
Black tank deodorizer
Gray tank deodorizer
Septic safe toilet paper
Potable water hose
Extra water hose for flushing black tank - get a different color
Water regulator
Source for compressed air
Surge protector - Better to get a full blown EMS
DeOxIt spray contact cleaner - use on campground power pedestals and vehicle connection
Roof vent covers
Lug nut wrench
Jack
Wheel chocks
Leveling blocks
Extra blade fuses
Voltmeter
Assortment of hand tools, screwdrivers, pliers, etc.
Tongue lock

Once you get out there you’ll find other things you’ll need for securing cabinets, etc. for transport, storing items and personal mods you want to make.

avvidclif

Number 1 on the list, kinda like the commercial, never leave home without it. A WATER PRESSURE REGULATOR. Yep, shouting. First time you hit one of those campgrounds with 100PSI water and pop PEX joints at hard to get to spots since you didn't have a regulator you will understand. Most RV's are only rated for 60 PSI. I have a regulator with a gauge and usually check the pressure when hooking up but you never know what it will be like at 3AM when no-one is using water so I always put the regulator inline. Right at the faucet.

Every RV I have bought came with a basic starter kit, regulator, water hose, sewer hose, some chemical, and a couple of rolls of TP. I think I still have a couple around here that were never opened.

CoveredWagon

Get the good water pressure regulator, the adjustable one. Get a good water filter system. See the water filter store (you’ll get a Heartland discount). At the very least get one of those blue Camco filters.l

Last edited:

Kbvols

Lots of good advice. From experience don't cut cost on sewer hose. Let's face it dumping is a crappy job. I have learned from experience cheap hoses tend to make the job worse. Also water hose. Buy decent quality. I prefer two 25' hoses although I rarely use both but have if needed. Additionally I have a couple 6' hoses which more often then not are all I really need.

Good luck don't rush and buy too much at first you will get a better idea of what you really need and the quality you want after a few outings.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

JohnDar

On sewer hose, I can recommend the RhinoFlex from experience. Had cheaper ones in the past that did not hold up. There are other quality brands out there, too, but I’m only familiar with RhinoFlex.

After several years of being compressed, folded and stuffed into the hose compartment (BH3670 has one) along with the 15ft. extension I carry, it’s still undamaged and in use.

When you break camp, don’t be lazy about thoroughly rinsing your sewer hose before storing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

'Lil Guy'

As per your post, I'm assuming you guys are new to all of this. If so, don't put to much pressure on yourself. Talk to your dealer when you do your PDI and they can help. Also, at your park, feel free to talk to other campers. They love to help newbies and share info.
Do get a good sewer hose. If your rig doesn't have a storage area designated for it, see if your dealer has the one that bolts to the underside(round tube) since they are really cheap. Get a drinking water hose and an inline filter to start. You might want a Y faucet to hook up to water supply for additional hose. For that, I use the collapsible green hoses you get at Walmart.
I would recommend a good surge protector.
Again enjoy your ist outing and don't put too much stress into it. Campers are friendly and love to share knowledge. Take your time acquiring the essentials so you don't have to buy them twice. You really get what you pay for. A trip to Walmart will get your water pressure regulator, hose and filter cheaper than the dealer.
Remember to enjoy and make memories. You'll be able to laugh about your first mistakes. later and have a great day. Hope to meet you down the road

Where in Texas are you at.

JohnDar

One more comment on sewer hose. Get an expanding support for it to angle it towards the sewer. If it just lays flat on the ground, then you'll have to do what's called, "Milking the Stinky Slinky." That's also where you find out why you didn't want to buy the cheapest hose on the shelf.

donr827

Not for your first trip but take a good PDI check list for your PDI. Do the PDI and have them fix any problems before signing and handy over any money. Several members have posted good check list.
Don

A good Torque wrench, 6 point socket and extension.
Find your wheel torque specification and mark it on the inside of your basement door, for ready reference.

Hockster

pegmikef

A fat wallet (sorry, I couldn't resist). The basics as others have pointed out, and you will find more things you need as you go along. Some are necessities, but others might be just nice to have (like extra sets of outside lights). One thing I found I needed when I recently had to change out my converter was a 5/32 T hex driver. It is even specified in the manual for Progressive Converters.

mlpeloquin

When you get tired of RV toilet paper, get Happy Camper Organic Holding Tank Treatment and use any septic tank safe toilet paper. We do and have never had a problem. We use Costco's brand toilet paper.

CoveredWagon

I did a bunch of test on toilet paper break down. Over all we prefer Angel Soft, and it is a septic tank safe paper

Thank you all for the great advice and punny words shared!
We now have the camper and plan to go on our first outing to the state park that is 25 miles up the road.
Can someone explain the purpose for the separate "black" water hose?

pjones1969

Thank you all for the great advice and punny words shared!
We now have the camper and plan to go on our first outing to the state park that is 25 miles up the road.
Can someone explain the purpose for the separate "black" water hose?

Simple, you don’t want to contaminate your drinking water hose, I personally do not use the flush at a full hookup site, only at a remote dump station where the signs usually say non-potable water - do not drink

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk