Winter use of P322

proffittk

So I purchased a 2019 P322 and looked it over, it has a multi climate sticker on it near the main entrance but haven't quite understood it.

Is this camper designed to be used during winter periods? Say I wanna do some camping during the winter, what's the worries on pipe lines breaking or issues with maintaining heat. My drain pipes seem to be exposed so that is a concern for me

Domi

Looking at the specs on the website it says that you have a fully enclosed underbelly. You can verify that by looking and seeing if you can only see the discharge piping or all the piping and the ribs of the trailer underneath. If you can see only discharge piping and now ribs you have an enclosed underbelly. You can check and see if it underbelly is heated also (hopefully online in the speccs or call Heartland).

If that is the case then yes you can do some camping in the winter. Our North Trail is setup with the enclosed under belly which is heated and is good to lows in the upper teens. Much lower than that and it gets hard to heat the inside, the heater runs most of the night keeping the tanks warm and it not much fun to be in. I also worry about things freezing if highs do not get above 32 to help warm things up during the day. The heater will run a lot as the temps drop.

I do not know if if yours comes with a Yeti package that has tank heaters. That would make it so you could go to lower temperatures.

We live in Colorado and have camped through Thanksgiving on the plains of Colorado, and Wyoming the last 2 years and are planning to be in the Scottsbluff area this year if there is no snow. We usually get snowed and cold out in December through about mid Febuary but otherwise if the roads are good we can camp.

Hopee this helps. I am sure others will chime in.

Enjoy your new rig,

John

danemayer

Hi proffittk,

Winter varies tremendously depending on where you're located. Winter in North Dakota or Minnesota is quite different from Alabama or Florida. Central and South Florida temps rarely get below freezing. North Dakota may see -40 (F).

As a general statement, cold weather usage presents two distinct challenges. The first is keeping the interior warm and comfortable. When you see labels on the trailer or on the spec sheet suggesting that it's suited for winter use, those things are speaking to interior comfort. You may use a lot of propane to stay comfortable, depending on where you camp. Sub-zero comfort also requires a lot of insulation built into the trailer structure.

The more difficult problem is keeping the water running in sub-freezing temperatures. 25 (F) is one thing. -30 (F) is another. It's possible to keep the water running in extreme cold, but it will require additional equipment and effort on your part. If you'd like to know more about this, take a look at our owner-written Water Systems Winter Usage Guide in this folder.