Kitchen Slide popping fuses and wont open

papa_will

We just came back from a trip in our 2019 Torque 325 toy hauler. When I got the trailer parked and off the truck my wife put the slides out, except the kitchen slide. It will only go out 4-6 inches on the bottom and stops like it is jammed. The strange thing is that the 12v,15 amp fuse that is labeled slides keeps blowing. There is still power to the slides but the fuse is blown. The other strange thing, is the fridge quit working at the same time. The check light is on, so there is power, but will not work on electricity or on LP.

One other question, do you have to take the trailer in to the same dealership that you bought it from for warranty work?

danemayer

Any Heartland dealer willing to do the warranty work is ok. You can, with prior approval from Heartland, use any dealer or independent shop, or mobile service. With mobile service, Heartland will require that you pay the service/travel charge, but that's often less than the cost of hauling the trailer.

The blade-type fuse marked 'slide out' is probably for the 12V lights in the slide out. The slide mechanism is usually powered through 12V DC mini-circuit breakers near the battery. So your slide out fuse and refrigerator problems sound like the 12V wires going into the bottom of the slide are shorting where they enter the slide. The power cables under the slide may be in an articulating structure that could be jamming the slide movement.

Also, make sure nothing has fallen inside blocking the slide, either on top, or on the sides.

papa_will

Any Heartland dealer willing to do the warranty work is ok. You can, with prior approval from Heartland, use any dealer or independent shop, or mobile service. With mobile service, Heartland will require that you pay the service/travel charge, but that's often less than the cost of hauling the trailer.

The blade-type fuse marked 'slide out' is probably for the 12V lights in the slide out. The slide mechanism is usually powered through 12V DC mini-circuit breakers near the battery. So your slide out fuse and refrigerator problems sound like the 12V wires going into the bottom of the slide are shorting where they enter the slide. The power cables under the slide may be in an articulating structure that could be jamming the slide movement.

Also, make sure nothing has fallen inside blocking the slide, either on top, or on the sides.

You are right. That fuse is for the power to the fridge and lights. Cant find anything jamming, but it is under warranty so I will let the dealer do the rest. Thank you for all your help.:cool:

weekender01

I had this same issue on my Torque 321 and as others have said it sounds like you have a short such as a wire that has rubbed through the covering and is touching metal causing it to pop the fuse. If you can get the slide out far enough find the wiring harness that is under the slide and make sure no wires are touching the ram of the slide. I found a wire that was outside the harness and was rubbing on the ram when the slide was extended and retracted. Once I fixed the wire and changed the fuse the problem was resolved.

As for warranty work you may find another Heartland dealer may take it on, but some will not. Also if they do they put you at the bottom of their list since you did not purchase from them. RV Dealers are not like car dealers.

wdk450

I am sure that your kitchen slide has a folding wiring and propane rubber line guide like this : https://www.lci1.com/flex-guard . This is underneath the slide and may be somehow jamming causing the electrical short and mechanical jam. It would be worthwhile to take a look under the slide, and maybe even shut off the propane tanks and 110 volt electrical breaker to slides outlets until the cause of the jam is found.

BTW, if you have difficulty getting dealer warranty service, know that Heartland has allowed owners to use whatever RV repairer they choose for warranty repairs, with prior phone authorization from Heartland service (always have your VIN at the ready when talking to Heartland service - that is how they file things). RVServiceReviews.com has RVer generated reviews of RV servicers, and Heartland service keeps a list of 3rd party servicers they have sucessfully worked with in your area.

Good Luck!!