Special Precautions for Changing a Propane Pigtail

FrontRangeTraveler

When routinely checking my exterior propane lines on our Mallard M28 with soapy water, I found a cracked line from the driver's side external tank to the "T" shaped regulator where the bottles are mounted on the tongue. Frankly, it looked like it had been slit with a knife, but I'm not going to be paranoid about it.

I purchased a replacement and just want to be sure that nothing special needs to be done, like bleeding the lines before I remove the "pigtail" from where it enters the "T" shaped regulator. That line has not had any propane running through it yet this summer (we managed with just swapping bottles before I got a replacement line), and of course the propane is shut off at the bottles completely and the end of the cracked line that screws onto the propane bottle was unscrewed when I first found the leak. The regulator changeover lever is pointed to the bottle with the good line.

Can I just simply unscrew the brass connector, remove the cracked line and screw the new one back on safely, and without damaging the regulator?

Thanks.

SLO

If it’s tapered pipe threads use Teflon tape ( white or yellow, no difference) and pipe dope. I like Rectorseal Teflon based pipe dope. If it’s a flared fitting no tape or dope.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

FrontRangeTraveler

It turns out that the replacement pigtail I bought was the wrong diameter. We managed to get through our camping last year with just swapping bottles, but I want to replace it before we go out again this spring.

While looking at replacement pigtails on Amazon, I can't tell if I should get the "inverted male flare" version or the "NPT" version. The original looks like the "flare" type, but I want to be 100% sure. Is one more common than the other? We have a 2017 Mallard M28.

Thanks.

Sent from my LG V10 using Tapatalk
08450106b249909dcbeb269d1edd25b0.jpg

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Looking at your photo, it appears that you have a similar regulator to the one that I will be replacing my OEM one with this spring. The hoses with it have the inverted flare on the end of the fitting. It mates to the "nipple" inside the brass fitting on the regulator. Since your hose is already cut, just remove it from the regulator and take a look to be sure.

pjones1969

Looking at your photo, it appears that you have a similar regulator to the one that I will be replacing my OEM one with this spring. The hoses with it have the inverted flare on the end of the fitting. It mates to the "nipple" inside the brass fitting on the regulator. Since your hose is already cut, just remove it from the regulator and take a look to be sure.

You could remove it and take it with you to make sure

A RV dealer, a specialty bbq grill store or a propane company that has a showroom should have one, we have a large propane provider by my work (in TX) that has all kinds of fittings and hoses on the shelf.