Rear Interior Wall Damage

Ruger1967

Seeking advice or comment on similar problem. Recently purchased our 2015 Elkridge 35TSLR thru a private sale opportunity. While cleaning the walls around the pull out sofa (on back wall) I found the wall area from the window down to floor to be soft and spongy. Obviously water damage and the sound of dry rot wood behind the panel. Completely undetected just looking at it until you put a hand to the panel and feel it give. My question is would I be able to remove the lower damaged area and replace with new lumber panels from the inside. The outside of the panel seems to be solid and firm. Or is this an issue that requires the entire rear wall panel to be replaced by a service center? Unable to detect the leak but my guess will be the exterior window trim and or the corner seams where the AC water runoff has traveled. Suggestions on taking on this repair ?

rhodies1

First thing is to find out where the water is leaking into the rear,sure sounds like it’s the window because your description of the damage.I would reseal the window top and down the sides and slightly around to the bottom,do not completely seal the bottom of the window....you need to give water a place to escape if it intrudes.
You need to determine if your unit is a vacuum bonded construction or hung wall design,this will determine if you can look at a repair versus a rear wall replacement.Vacuum bonded are virtually non repairable due to the manufacturing process...pre hung walls can be repaired much easier...I would contact Heartland with the vin number and ask if the rear wall structure is metal studding or wood constructions and if it’s vacuum bonded construction..if it’s wood ..this is why it feels spongy.
If you have wood studs then they could be rotted and this is why you have a spongy wall..is the wall spongy or the panelling soft.
Not an easy fix and any removal off the interior panelling on that wall will not be cosmetically easy to match up.

Ruger1967

Thanks Rhodies - I will certainly take that suggestion of calling Heartland before I start tearing into the wall myself....My wife suggested we get some faux rock/stone wall paper for the back wall if I can get this repaired.

sengli

If its the back wall on the coach, that wall is made up of 2x2's and mostly luan plywood. Only the side walls and floor are the laminated construction. I would really look at the seams on the edges of that whole wall, and that is where its attached to the sidewalls. That seam is your water proof seal.

Ruger1967

If its the back wall on the coach, that wall is made up of 2x2's and mostly luan plywood. Only the side walls and floor are the laminated construction. I would really look at the seams on the edges of that whole wall, and that is where its attached to the sidewalls. That seam is your water proof seal.

Spent time washing and detailing the back panel exterior and will be adding new silicone to the entire perimeter seal and around the top; sides of rear window.

LBR

Spent time washing and detailing the back panel exterior and will be adding new silicone to the entire perimeter seal and around the top; sides of rear window.

IMO, not sure I would be using the silicone sealer...search out "Dicor" on this site before you silicone.

Ruger1967

Found the source of problem with water damage. The back "rain gutter" extensions were plugged with debris. During a very heavy storm today, i watched water back up and roll off the side of the gutters pouring down along the seam between the side panel walls and back panel wall. I will be removing the interior wall and replacing the rotted wood faring strips and using various sealant products before sealing it back up with new wood panel and faux rock wallpaper. Need to wait a day or two for dry weather to seal up the outside seams. Thanks for the tips and suggestions - as usual, something so minor has caused serious damage over time. I've only owned this rig for 2 weeks, so it's a ongoing review project.