Bought a landmark Oshkosh-- my 17 f250 gas is not enough

bkgarcia

So I bought my new trailer ,and hooked up with my 17 king ranch 6.2 (gas) 4x2 8ft bed and it went down the road just fine
Thought everything was going to be fine until i got in the smoky mountains, no power what so ever in the windy roads going up hill.Now i am looking at new 19. I am looking at getting a f350 dually supercab diesel 8ft bed . I would like to get away from the 179" wheel base and go with the super cab 164" to get better maneuvering ,its tight in some spots with a 40ft trailer
everything i see is with crew cab .Has anyone thought about this or is this a bad idea. Thanks for any input

jayc

Texas-South Chapter Leaders
We have a long wheel base crew cab and frequently use the back seat for friends. Of course, the dogs love the extra space, so I guess we're stuck with this size truck. We don't really have any problems with the longer truck but then we're used to it.

LBR

Compare the 2019 steering radius of both the super cab you're thinking of vs. the longer crew cab with the front wide axle option.

SNOKING

Compare the 2019 steering radius of both the super cab you're thinking of vs. the longer crew cab with the front wide axle option.

I thought Ford dropped the wide front axle option on the F350's. only available of the F450???

LBR

The wide axle was not available on the 2017 F-350, only the F-450, and the 450 could only be had in a 4x4.

Our 450 was one of the last 2017s built (in the last 3 days of 2017 builds). Dealer sales said that the 2018 F-350 DRW were to have the wide track front, as an option, like my 450 will be equipped with....along with them being offered in a 4x2 platform, unlike in 2017. The 2018 brochures weren't printed/dispersed yet.

Possibly that didn't become a reality in 2018? If not, my bad for assuming the 2019 would be too. I'm going to stop by my dealership today and snag a 2018 brochure if they have one...am curious since you questioned it.

carl.swoyer

So I bought my new trailer ,and hooked up with my 17 king ranch 6.2 (gas) 4x2 8ft bed and it went down the road just fine
Thought everything was going to be fine until i got in the smoky mountains, no power what so ever in the windy roads going up hill.Now i am looking at new 19. I am looking at getting a f350 dually supercab diesel 8ft bed . I would like to get away from the 179" wheel base and go with the super cab 164" to get better maneuvering ,its tight in some spots with a 40ft trailer
everything i see is with crew cab .Has anyone thought about this or is this a bad idea. Thanks for any input
I tow a 2012 Landmark Rushmore dry weight 12,700 lbs
Gross I'm at 15,800 lbs.
Tow with a 05 Silverado Crew cab long bed and the lly Duramax/Allison Transmission. I have power to spare. However I'm thinking the newer trucks with the 22" tires and larger brakes Is a better set up.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

CarterKraft

I don't think the wide track option happened on the 18's and I haven't seen it confirmed on the '19.

It would be nice to have available but from Fords standpoint not sure it is worth it with the 450 being available.

gslabbert5119

I run a Bighorn 3685RL on a 15 f250 4x2 6.7L Diesel Super cab with an 8ft bed, and 20" wheels and it is simply awesome as far as I am concerned.

My 2013 BigHorn specs
Hitch Weight2320 lbs
Gross Weight15500 lbs
Dry Weight12129 lbs

There are a number of threads on the Ford trucks on this forum, and many techy type vehicle owners who REALLY know their stuff.

Suffice to say that I can tow my Bighorn up the Continental Divide at 70 without an issue and the rpm are at 2200 or so ...

I have attached the Ford Towing guide for your review...

Gavin

Attachments

• Prelm19TTselector_Ford_r1_Jul13.pdf
    2.3 MB · Views: 14

Fox

I tow with a diesel (see below) - but there are many users successfully towing heavy with the gas option; while they may be a bit slower it'll get 'r done (with higher engine revs).
Maybe a gear change could satisfy you, cheaper than a new truck. The gassers also avoid the periodic $400 oil and filter expenses.

If I had your setup my concern would be the pin weight. I'm gonna just make up numbers but my guess is your loaded 5th weighs in at 18K, meaning a 25% percent pin of 4500. My guess is a gas fueled F250 has a cargo allowance of 3500.

bkgarcia

We have a long wheel base crew cab and frequently use the back seat for friends. Of course, the dogs love the extra space, so I guess we're stuck with this size truck. We don't really have any problems with the longer truck but then we're used to it.

Jay
I love my crewcab too, but when i had my 33 ft 5th wheel i could back it up under the shed with no proplem,its about 150ft
long with my 40ft i am on my neighbors yard ( not good). I was thinking the supercab 164 wb might help me a little backing up
7 more ft a trailer makes a heck of a difference =( I will try and attach a pic of what I have to deal with

Attachments

• IMG_0580.jpg
    IMG_0580.jpg
    119.1 KB · Views: 56
  • IMG_0670.jpg
    IMG_0670.jpg
    131.5 KB · Views: 55
Last edited:

bkgarcia

Gavin , thanks finally some ford 19s specs but nothing on there on turning comparisons. I see you have a 15 f250 ,i think they changed up the suspension in 17.I really have no use for a 4wd around here,and 2wd what i prefer too but just about every diesel has 4wd.. Its good to hear from a super-cab owner.if you where to trade in yours would you stick with a super-cab ?

I run a Bighorn 3685RL on a 15 f250 4x2 6.7L Diesel Super cab with an 8ft bed, and 20" wheels and it is simply awesome as far as I am concerned.

My 2013 BigHorn specs
Hitch Weight2320 lbs
Gross Weight15500 lbs
Dry Weight12129 lbs

There are a number of threads on the Ford trucks on this forum, and many techy type vehicle owners who REALLY know their stuff.

Suffice to say that I can tow my Bighorn up the Continental Divide at 70 without an issue and the rpm are at 2200 or so ...

I have attached the Ford Towing guide for your review...

Gavin

bkgarcia

Fox ,I tried to avoid getting a diesel ,but now i am going to have to get one, your right mine is about 15k dry and 18k gvwr
my hitch weight is 3k. I have decided on a diesel and drw ,2wd, and thinking about supercab over super crew
thanks for you input
Brian

I tow with a diesel (see below) - but there are many users successfully towing heavy with the gas option; while they may be a bit slower it'll get 'r done (with higher engine revs).
Maybe a gear change could satisfy you, cheaper than a new truck. The gassers also avoid the periodic $400 oil and filter expenses.

If I had your setup my concern would be the pin weight. I'm gonna just make up numbers but my guess is your loaded 5th weighs in at 18K, meaning a 25% percent pin of 4500. My guess is a gas fueled F250 has a cargo allowance of 3500.

- - - Updated - - -

I cant find any turning comparison on the 18s or 19s

Fox

With a dry weight of 12129 and a pin weight of 2320 thats 19%.
With a loaded weight of 18000 and the same pin weight (2320) that's less than 13%.
Both of these numbers are too low (potentially unsafe).

Note: your stated 3K pin (on this 18K load) is under 17%; a better minimum of 20% requires 3600 pounds of pin weight.
While 20% may be OK - 25% is a much better plan (you don't want the trailer swaying) -
and 25% of 18K (4K) is excessive for even some F350s.

As you are purchasing a dually/diesel equip it to handle the load. Check the order box option that provides a GVWR of 14K (and 4.10 gearing) and you can expect a payload of over 5300 pounds, as shown on my door jam stickers (you'll have even more payload if you go with a shorter box, shorter cab, 2wd).

One more thought, this truck can be built with the 6.2L gasser and it will get the job done (just slower and winding up the RPM guage). <Grin>.

Excuse me for lovin math.

Attachments

• 20180713_110537.jpg
    20180713_110537.jpg
    126.3 KB · Views: 46
  • 20180713_110535.jpg
    20180713_110535.jpg
    105.3 KB · Views: 47
Last edited:

NYSUPstater

Last 3 trucks have all been crew cabs and diesels (Fords....6.0, 6.7 & 6.7). Absolutely love 'em. Bought a '15 F350 cc,sb,4x4 in Dec of 14. At that time we had a Cedar Creek Silverback and had no probs whatsoever. May '17, bought a Big Country 3560SS. We were right at max or over some on weights with the '15 350. Truck did fine and was very happy and still loved the short box. HOWEVER, as we were planning our vaykay for this year, Florida ended up being the destination in height of summer heat. I wasn't too concerned about being over on the '15's capacity.....BUT WAS CONCERNED about the tires being a SRW and over on them and with the impending higher air/road temps, and weight. Just had this nagging gut feeling that things were not right for this trip. Looked and found a '17 F350 dually, cc,4x4. Bought it in May '18. Never owning a dually (yet drive a semi for a living), am da*n glad we got it. Took some getting used to a longer truck and wider (drive thrus present a very good challenge). Truck handled the BC w/ ease. Have seen all the posts about duallies being better and IMO are best for anything 16K and above. While our '15 probly would have been okay going to FL w/ the BC, The dually def was the better way to go. I still miss tho a short box for everyday ramming around.

porthole

Retired

Unless Ford changed the offerings, if you want a DRW it will be a crew cab with an 8' bed. If you want better low speed steering maneuvering, it will have to be a F-450. Maybe in 2020 they will bring back the wide track on the F-350.

Ram has offered short beds DRW's.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm going to have re-think my new truck for 2019.

LBR

I cant find any turning comparison on the 18s or 19s

I picked up a SD 2018 catalogue from Ford yesterday and it does verify that the wide-track front axle is still only available in the F-450, so I was wrong earlier in my statement of it being offered contrary to what I was told. But as other 450 Crew Cab owners here will attest, this wide-axle steering radius is sooooo tight compared to the narrow track...makes town driving and parking nice.

gslabbert5119

Gavin , if you where to trade in yours would you stick with a super-cab ?
Without a doubt, mine came with a 8ft bed and has a 158” wheel base. Just a little shorter wheel base but the truck is plenty long enough.

My kids are all grown and my dogs are small so no need for more space.

The extra body and 4x4 takes away from the available load weight. My trucks weighes 7780lbs as per the CAT scales with the C&W hitch and my toolbox. Add a 4x4 transfer box and additional bodywork and my truck will not meet the 10,000lb gvw when i hook up the 5er
Currently according to the tag i can add 2733lbs including load and people.
Just as well that I lost that extra 20lbs i was carrying 🤪

pegmikef

I am on my second fiver and second F350 dually crew cab and have towed the fivers in excess of 50K miles over all terrain imaginable and wouldn't think of using anything else. When driving through the mountains in the north west and near the Pacific course, I was impressed at how easily we passed most trucks and several RV and motorhomes on some of the steep grades. I only run at 62 - 65 mph because I don't trust the tires with all that weight at any higher speeds. I've had Titan disc brakes installed on both fivers and would never tow without disc brakes after using them. One thing about I really like about my 2017 F350 is the 48 gallon OEM fuel tank. I also found out on our last trip that it stops abruptly if someone cuts in front of you (sure saved us as car came out of nowhere). Good luck with whatever you choose.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The short bed trucks maneuver great with a 5’er, you just really need a slider hitch. We have an F250 Crew Cab short bed with a SuperGlide auto sliding hitch, and I can get a 90 degree turn no problem. Good luck!

Last edited by a moderator:

carl.swoyer

I've been running around the country with a 2005 Silverado Crew cab long bed LLY Duramax Allison Transmission HD 2500.
Pulling a 2012 Landmark Rushmore fifth wheel. I can do tight turns no problems.
However the new Landmarks are substantially heaver so I would updated myself to the 3500 dually.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk