solar panel installation

gdog

gdog
We have an 09 3055. I will be installing a roof system in the distant future.
Does anyone have recommendations on panel types and running the wire etc. I would like to put the controller in the existing utility cupboard at the front door. I am leaning towards two panels with an output of 220 watts.
Mr.Solar seems to have some descent prices.
gdog

boatdoc

Hi gdog, I took the easiest way out on our install and went with the panel right above the W/D area which is right above the battery. I went down the vent pipe with the wires, out above the "t" for the drain and put my SB2000E controller in the wing wall on the bedroom side of the W/D. Then down thru the wall, under the dresser and thru the floor into the battery compartment. Piece of cake and also shortest distance for the wires.
We didn't think putting the controller up in the BR was a big deal, as one really doesn't look at it that much after the newness has worn off. I just glance over at it when I'm up there and see what light might be blinking or not and that let's me know what's going on.
I checked about putting the controller in the cupboard but that was going to make a long run in the 3670 and WAY to much work!!
We went with the Kyocera 130 to start and will add another, maybe this winter while in Blythe, right next to Quartzite. We delt with Discount Solar in Quartzite, very nice folks.

ChopperBill

I have one 110w panel and bungee it to a 4 foot aluminum step ladder and have my controller mounted in a box with alligator clip to hook to the battery. Completely portable. You can not believe how much difference a few degrees off from direct sun will make in the amps put out. I move mine 3-4 times a day to follow the sun and can also park the Big Horn in the shade. With 4 12v batteries and one solar panel I had one stay of twelve days and only use the generator once to fire up Renee's hair dryer. Have a ladder when needed also.
328442633.jpg

313359676.jpg

Uncle Rog

Chopper, is that a stock battery box? I am tired of re-duct taping my conversion to keep it gas tight with the weather stripping.........

ChopperBill

Rog, I bought it at Lowes for only $20. It is perfect for 4 6v's. Oops! I said I had 12v's in the prior post, my bad. Anyway it is real heavy duty and the lid fits nice and secure. I cut the hole in top for the vent hose.

Uncle Rog

Thanks Bill, every time I water the cells it takes longer to mess with the box than do the service....Good job with your solar panel, I am looking into copying your system, looks versatile...............
Also I am experimenting with the air bags for fixing a flat, I think that if I criss-cross the bags (+) I can lift one axle high enough to pull the tire.....if it works I will put up a photo..................