Newbie question

KyleC

How often should I charge the batteries? Where I park the travel trailer when we are at home there is no shore power close. Should I just run a small extension cord with a trickle charger? Or occasionally hook to shore power via a 75' 10 guage extension cord?

2017 Pathfinder SL towing Heartland Prowler "lynx" 25lx

Fox

If you're parked in a sunny area then a small solar panel should keep it topped off. If not then you'll need to provide power to recharge it - ideally before it runs down (say @25/50% remaining power).

If the only thing you'd be powering is the charger then I don't believe you'll need that heavy of a cord (although it'd be nice).

KyleC

I actually found it after cleaning out my grandfather's house. Had a 30 amp female end that I threw away long ago and replaced with a 110.......if I'd only known. Lol.

KyleC

How would I check the percentage? I have a prowler 25 lx with just the one battery? I only knew this time because I went in to look for something and the lights barely worked. Had to turn a Few off manually just to have enough power to see what I was looking for! I unplugged from the house about 3-4 weeks ago. Would a battery disconnect save the battery from draining?

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
The LP gas detector is wired directly to the battery and is always on. If you have a digital sound system with a clock, the LED display is always on. These will drain a battery unless you disconnect it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

danemayer

If you install a battery cutoff, and the battery is fully charged when you put it in storage, with the cutoff OFF, the charge will probably hold for 2 months, maybe longer.

Before going on a trip, you'll want to charge it for 24-36 hours by running on shore power. That will also let you get the refrigerator cooled down.

KyleC

Great advice. Love this forum!