Maintaining my roof myself for the first time.

campfire7

I have been reading the blogs on here about roofs, and I am convinced to calk / coat the roof on my TT myself this time, this will be the first time that I have done this myself, it all sounds like common sense. But after looking at some of the products available, I found that some of the roof coating cost $75 - $80 per gallon, and then some cost $50 per gallon, I have always lived by the old saying " You get what you pay for ". Don't misunderstand me, I am not looking to cut corners, but at the same time I don't want pay more for something if it is not necessary.
So I would like to hear from some of you guys that have used the various products
on the market. And if you don't mind tell what products you have found to be the best in your opinion.

Last edited by a moderator:

sengli

Is your TT roof rated to be walkable? If not be careful. Normal recommended roof maintenance(semi-yearly) usually consists of checking all the caulked areas, and seams for cracks and then re doing them with self leveling dicor. So are you stating your going to roll on some roof coating over the entire thing?

campfire7

Is your TT roof rated to be walkable? If not be careful. Normal recommended roof maintenance(semi-yearly) usually consists of checking all the caulked areas, and seams for cracks and then re doing them with self leveling dicor. So are you stating your going to roll on some roof coating over the entire thing?

Yes Iam going to do some calking work first and then a roll on primer then roof coating. I plan on calking/ recalking and paint the primer around vints and edges with a brush and roll the rest of the roof. I just want to know that I am using the best material.

jerryjay11

Year? I'll take a stab at guessing it is a....2011 Heartland North Country.

I've used the Dicor product on my previous camper and it came out nice. Roof looked like new.

campfire7

Year? I'll take a stab at guessing it is a....2011 Heartland North Country.

I've used the Dicor product on my previous camper and it came out nice. Roof looked like new.

You nailed it. ( probably looked at my profile ) but yes a 2011 Heartland North Country 29RK, The roof doesn't look bad just some cracks in the calking around vents / TV Antenna etc.. I just want be cautious not to let it get in bad shape.

donr827

On my trailers I have never put a coating on the roof. I would wash the roof ever time I washed the trailer. I did not worry about the roof looks except what could be seen from the ground. I thought that was what the manufacture of the roof material recommended .
Don

campfire7

I have been reading the blogs on here about roofs, and I am convinced to calk / coat the roof on my TT myself this time, this will be the first time that I have done this myself, it all sounds like common sense. But after looking at some of the products available, I found that some of the roof coating cost $75 - $80 per gallon, and then some cost $50 per gallon, I have always lived by the old saying " You get what you pay for ". Don't misunderstand me, I am not looking to cut corners, but at the same time I don't want pay more for something if it is not necessary.
So I would like to hear from some of you guys that have used the various products
on the market. And if you don't mind tell what products you have found to be the best in your opinion.

Ok, After reading your comments here maybe all I will do is remove the calking around the vents , edges and TV antenna and recalk with DICOR. The rest of the roof looks surprisingly good, Thanks guys or your help

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
It is not recommended to remove existing caulking from a rubber roof. Simply clean it and apply over it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jerryjay11

It is not recommended to remove existing caulking from a rubber roof. Simply clean it and apply over it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I concur with this. Dicor has videos explaining how to do this and was very helpful for me. Self-leveling lap sealant is all you need for the seals if they are just cracked. Any loose sealant that can be easily pulled off should be removed and them apply the lap sealant, but be sure to clean the seals before doing it.

Depending how cracked your roof is determines if you should coat it. In any event, it doesn't hurt to apply a bit of preventive maintenance. See pics.

From this: IMG_20170509_082438605.jpg To this:IMG_20170509_121947460.jpg To finished product:IMG_20170509_132346812.jpg Excuse the overflow coating on the vent and AC shroud. It was getting hot that day and I rushed it.