Items you can't live without

Lilywhite

I would like some help - my husband and I are looking to purchase at BH 3055 and this type of "camping" is new to us. In the past, we have either tented or used his parents' pop up trailer. Because of the type of camping we have done if the past, I know exactly what we are going to need supply-wise and I have it all packed away in totes.

My question is, other than they typical stuff that you use (dishes etc.). What item do you think is indispensable and you wouldn't be caught without it. I am realizing that there is a lot of experience here and would like to benefit from it.

Thank you and I look forward to your replies.

sailorand

Past British Columbia Chapter Leader
Lily
welcome to the heartland group. We have a 3055 and love it. We just keep to the basics. Don't load it with too much. Must haves are your hobbies. Beverly takes her sewing machine and I take radio's and antenna's.
Watch the BC Heartland owners part of the forum as we are having another BC Heartland rally June 17-22, 2009 in Rock Creek.

Tom of Ypsi

First thing is to make sure your significant other is with you. After thatI guess it would be what type of camping and where you are camping. Good hoses and a water filter are some of the things. If you are going south for the winter the shorts, t-shirts, sandals etc are in order. Take any hobby with you as long as it is within reason, golf clubs, tennis rackets, some books etc. You will find it easier to add on as you are going then to buy all kinds of stuff now and find out you really do not need them.

Also welcome to the forum and enjoy your BH.

jbeletti

Hi Jodi,

It was fun chatting to you and Chris the other night!

Below is my list of things to consider. You may not have an interest is all of it but better to have more items to consider than less:

• Two-stage water filtration system (sediment and charcoal)
  • Portable water softener system (On-The-Go)
  • Extra fire extinguishers (1 for truck and 1 for basement of RV)
  • Padded shelf liner material. Great too for putting between plates/bowls and for placing a piece on the counter to set things on there for travel (they will not move)
  • Carpet cleaner (Resolve etc.)
  • Mats/carpet pieces for inside main door, for in front of sink, in front of stove
  • Toilet chemicals (or Tide + Calgon - both powdered)
  • Short broom to store in coat closet to use to sweep lino into vacuum dust pan
  • Decorator items :)
  • Cleaners (for wood, windows/mirrors, solid surface counters, sink, toilet...
  • Garbage can the fits your style and your space (plus bags)

geeksrus

I would like some help - my husband and I are looking to purchase at BH 3055 and this type of "camping" is new to us. In the past, we have either tented or used his parents' pop up trailer. Because of the type of camping we have done if the past, I know exactly what we are going to need supply-wise and I have it all packed away in totes.

My question is, other than they typical stuff that you use (dishes etc.). What item do you think is indispensable and you wouldn't be caught without it. I am realizing that there is a lot of experience here and would like to benefit from it.

Send me an email, kinmondg@telusplanet.net, and I'll forward my 'ready list'... it might help you.

EH!

Netem

Some kind of blocks or levelers to level RV and put under landing legs and rear jacks

SmokeyBare

Welcome to Heartland's Family LillyWhite !

How about some of the simple things...

Comfortable outside chairs that are comfortable... you'll need these since you will have the whole of outside as your living room. Probably would be good to have one or two others for guests that will stop by to admire your beautiful new BigHorn.

Nice to have a RV style, breathable (so it doesn't kill the grass below) mat to place under those chairs and some folding side tables to set your drink on as you take in the splendor of the place your camped.

Awning lights are always nice to have... extends those days well into the evening hours. Heartland makes plugging in those lights so easy with the outlet up high, just under the awning. Nice to be able to turn off those lights with a flick of the switch once you go inside for the night.

An Outside grill is a must... well it is for me anyway. Gas or Charcoal will be your choice. Careful using it on some picnic tables... I've seen some charred scars on tables when they were too hot. Maybe one with a folding stand would be a good idea.

If your 3055 didn't come with a Fireplace to take the chill off... perhaps a small cube electric heater would come in handy... for those chilly mornings as you enjoy a fall camping weekend. The ceramic type are far safer than the old coil spring type heaters. These days they come with several safety features.

If your camping style enjoys a camp fire... then by all means don't forget the hot dog forks... those really neat Pie irons... I've even seen some cook popcorn over the camp fire with one of those basket cookers.

Have Fun in your new BigHorn... Be sure to consider going to a Heartland Owner's Rally... as well as local Chapter Rallys... your sure to meet the best of friends... in our ever growing Heartland Family.

Good Luck !!

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
Bring some money so you can go to either Wal-Mart or Camping World (or both) to pick up what you need or forgot. Seems like we never go anywhere without having to got there.

leftyf

SSG Stumpy-VA Terrorist
Jmgratz has got it.

1. All you need is two rolls of toilet paper, a notebook and a pen.

2. Park in the lot in front of a Walmart...you'll start figure out what you need mid-afternoon Saturday.

3. Write it down on pad...spend Saturday night in RV. All will become crystal clear Sunday.

4. Walmart opens at 8 am. Take credit card and pad into Walmart.

5. Buy from list.

6. Repeat step 1-5 as needed.

Shadowchek

Games indoor and outdoor
Fishing gear
Fire pit
Warm comforter
blankets to lounge with
slip on shoes for lazy times or forgetting something outside at night
Comfortable portable chairs
Generator
multiple batteries
inverter
portable electric heater
Portable radio
Grill for cooking fish and smelly things
BBQ
Hoses for every occasion
pressure regulator
cocktails
an assortment of tools
duct tape
Ice chest
door mats (inside and outside)
windex
paper towels
movies
lap top
step ladder
lots of good food
paper plates
portable air pump
Broom
A good attitude, ( Refer back to Good food,cocktails, comfortable chairs, games and Firepit).
Good company.
oh yea as Lefty says
you can't forget the TP and note pad
not nessesarily used at the same time.

Greg

Last edited:

jbeletti

Speaking of the notepad and actually for anyone, not just the OP...

Each trip out, we start a shopping list for what to buy or bring from home for the next time out. If we use a can of sliced potatoes from the coach pantry, it goes on the list. If we discover we're low on TP, blank CDs, a favorite movie DVD, bottled water, coffee filters of what have you, we just keep adding to the list.

Speaking of lists, the same format is good for maintenance and repair items for your RV. If something comes up with the coach that you don't take care of yourself right then, it goes on the RV Repair list. Same for maintenance items (light bulbs, anode rod etc.). Once you are done with that trip, review the list to see if you already took care of anything on it. Then decide how you will proceed with the rest (dealer, self-repair etc.). This way, the list makes it home so you have it in the event you need to buy a part, a tool or contact the dealer or customer service.

Jim

Garry & Bev

travel bug
Congratulations on your new rig! Just to add to the list above......a propane camp stove to cook bacon outside.
We take along our old camp stove so we can cook outside on when it is nice. We don't like to stink up our trailer with greasy bacon smell as the smell seems to stick to everything.

jbeletti

Great idea on the camp stove. Or, an electric skillet. I have one of those Rival folding electric griddles. It works great for pancakes, sausage and bacon.

Jim

jbeletti

Rescue Tape - good one :D

I used more of that stuff this weekend to waterproof the video and DC connection of my front door security camera. Water was giving that cam fits for months.

Hart

Maybe the unit comes with vent covers. If not, Maxxair covers are highly important for air circulation in the camper (rain or shine) and while it is in storage. Helps prevent stale odor and mold. Enjoy your new rig!

deee2

What a bunch of great ideas. This place always makes me smile.

Now that we have one, we won't take the Bighorn any where new without our GPS. Sure beats turning into a wrong street or area.

I like taking an alarm clock... there are times we actually use it.

Have fun making your list!

Donna :)

J

Jumpshot

Just go with the basics, but bring a notebook and add to the list. We just started, like you are, and we are having a blast!! Once you are at the campsite you'll think of things and as you walk around talking to 5ers you will quickly add more items to the list. Enjoy!

Cirrus

I would like to recommend a 'upgraded' water pressure regulator. I spend about $40 on an adjustable higher flow model, and the showers are almost "like home" now!