High Point failed

eddylives

Since new our high point microwave has been used sparingly.....like maybe a dozen times since spring of 2017 to heat some water or soup.
It just quit working and is being replaced under waranty
How many people have had this brand microwave and had it fail?

dieseldog

Mine failed the first time used. It started billowing smoke and smelled of burned insulation. Dealer wanted me to bring the whole smash in to verify it was the microwave and not the wiring in the bighorn. Being rather handy and a tinkerer, I took it off it’s mounts and quickly realized it was the power supply had exposed wires touching and it shorted. 12 bucks later from an appliance store for a new replacement and it was back in business. That’s been my only snag on what has turned out to be a really well built ‘18 model 3970.

eddylives

Well the factory authorized and sent a replacement microwave.
We pick it up on friday and its a breeze to install since the old one came out so easily lol
Even though we don't own a heartland unit anymore this is still my go to site for any information

Oldelevatorman

We don't have a High Point, but a Furrion and it quit 2 weeks after the warranty was up. Furrion wouldn't help us but Heartland sent us a new one. Wife and I swapped them out, piece of cake!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

B

BouseBill

Our high point is no longer... Replaced with a GE Profile;)

- - - Updated - - -

Our high point is no longer... Replaced with a GE Profile;)

CLANCEYO

Turned on microwave for 5 min run time. Opened door and watched with amazement as the interior door glass cracked into a million little cracks. (Later in our trip, pieces) Our unit is a 2017 Bighorn and I believe out of warranty. Contacted High Pointe and was told that probably the dish might have hit door sometime..... causing a weakness. Checked High Pointe Instruction Manual and no where in their manual does it say anything about removing rotating dish for travel. I Noticed stress cracks at handle point of window and photographed. I'm just wondering if anyone else has had this problem. Also informed by High Pointe that they do not sell replacement doors. I said I have to replace the whole unit? Yes, was their answer and that it had to be an RV convection/microwave. Well all I can say is that if the High Pointe is considered an RV type unit , why is it so non-rugged? This microwave has been used maybe 10 times.

pegmikef

Turned on microwave for 5 min run time. Opened door and watched with amazement as the interior door glass cracked into a million little cracks. (Later in our trip, pieces) Our unit is a 2017 Bighorn and I believe out of warranty. Contacted High Pointe and was told that probably the dish might have hit door sometime..... causing a weakness. Checked High Pointe Instruction Manual and no where in their manual does it say anything about removing rotating dish for travel. I Noticed stress cracks at handle point of window and photographed. I'm just wondering if anyone else has had this problem. Also informed by High Pointe that they do not sell replacement doors. I said I have to replace the whole unit? Yes, was their answer and that it had to be an RV convection/microwave. Well all I can say is that if the High Pointe is considered an RV type unit , why is it so non-rugged? This microwave has been used maybe 10 times.

That's pure BS. Not a lot of companies manufacture the low quality that High Point does The one in my 2014 Bighorn died because of a voltage spike so I had to replace it. I checked around and the main thing is you have to get one that will fit your opening and has an adjustable vent so you can change the orientation so it vents to the rear, instead of up. I was surprised to find that most of them come with the vent kit and many models will fit that opening. We replaced ours with a quality GE Profile series (don't remember the model) and my wife loved it (temperature control actually was accurate, ability to select variable temperatures rather than being locked in to fixed ones). Comes with a mounting plate for the wall and a template for drilling new holes to hold it up. Took about two hours to remove old one and install the new one (a two person job). Shop around and take the measurements of your opening with you.

On the dish. It is recommended that you remove it for travel. We usually just put it under a pillow on the couch. At several rallies they have given away a padded case to store it in while traveling.

m--s

High Point Started on it's Own

Has anyone had a High Point Microwave that WAS located in the Camp Kitchen that just Automatically started on its own? Our 5th Wheel is 8 years old and never had an issue with the Microwave Ovens inside or in the Camp Kitchen Outside. Just went on a trip and used 3 Pot Holders to hold the Glass Plate inside from bouncing around. Forgot to take the Pot Holders out when we returned but Have NOT USED the Microwave since before we left on the trip. Been back 2 weeks and the camper was plugged into power at the Campground where we lease a site for a year and nobody was there. CK door was locked and nobody had been into it or the camper over the last 2 weeks. This past weekend I got to the campground and unlocked the main door and walked inside as I always do but smelled something getting hot and smoke from somewhere. Never found anything, and thought another camper had been burning a fire pit and had a lot of smoke from it.

Neighbors outside of the campground were burning leaves, so I just shook it off. Went on and opened the outside doors including the Camp Kitchen door. Microwave was NOT ON. Went about my business and walked by the CK about 1 and 1/2 hours later and the Microwave was ON and counting down time. I stopped it and opened the door and found that my pot holders were burned and the plate was broken and the roller ring was melted.

Needless to say I found the source of the smoke smell and something getting hot. Removed the Microwave from the camper cabinet and set it out away and started the process of cleaning everything and all the cabinets to get rid of the smoke.

My concern is why did this just happen after all these years and is this a problem with High Point units, as the one inside is the same. I have a solution that requires rewiring the outlet for the microwave to put a switch on it to turn the power on when I want to use it. I am not worried about the clock not displaying the time if this fix can keep the worse from happening. I was fortunate that I was there and found this when I did.

Sorry for the long post, but felt that I needed to explain the situation so someone else could understand what I did and what I found. Thanks

danemayer

Re: High Point Started on it's Own

Has anyone had a High Point Microwave that WAS located in the Camp Kitchen that just Automatically started on its own? Our 5th Wheel is 8 years old and never had an issue with the Microwave Ovens inside or in the Camp Kitchen Outside. Just went on a trip and used 3 Pot Holders to hold the Glass Plate inside from bouncing around. Forgot to take the Pot Holders out when we returned but Have NOT USED the Microwave since before we left on the trip. Been back 2 weeks and the camper was plugged into power at the Campground where we lease a site for a year and nobody was there. CK door was locked and nobody had been into it or the camper over the last 2 weeks. This past weekend I got to the campground and unlocked the main door and walked inside as I always do but smelled something getting hot and smoke from somewhere. Never found anything, and thought another camper had been burning a fire pit and had a lot of smoke from it.

Neighbors outside of the campground were burning leaves, so I just shook it off. Went on and opened the outside doors including the Camp Kitchen door. Microwave was NOT ON. Went about my business and walked by the CK about 1 and 1/2 hours later and the Microwave was ON and counting down time. I stopped it and opened the door and found that my pot holders were burned and the plate was broken and the roller ring was melted.

Needless to say I found the source of the smoke smell and something getting hot. Removed the Microwave from the camper cabinet and set it out away and started the process of cleaning everything and all the cabinets to get rid of the smoke.

My concern is why did this just happen after all these years and is this a problem with High Point units, as the one inside is the same. I have a solution that requires rewiring the outlet for the microwave to put a switch on it to turn the power on when I want to use it. I am not worried about the clock not displaying the time if this fix can keep the worse from happening. I was fortunate that I was there and found this when I did.

Sorry for the long post, but felt that I needed to explain the situation so someone else could understand what I did and what I found. Thanks

I think Frigidaire had a recall a year or two ago for this exact problem. As a microwave that starts by itself could be a fire hazard, you should consider reporting this to NHTSA.

marknewbill

Re: High Point Started on it's Own

I think Frigidaire had a recall a year or two ago for this exact problem. As a microwave that starts by itself could be a fire hazard, you should consider reporting this to NHTSA.

I realize this is an old thread, but for reference, our microwave in the new 2021 Pioneer is also starting itself. Something is wrong with the door switches and causes the light and fan to start even when no time is set. I can push up and it comes on, push down and it goes off. I don't think it is cooking, but is running the turn table and fan, which may could overheat since they are only meant for intermittent duty. New microwave is on order.

MTPockets

Don’t recall the brand, but the one in our BigHorn died after warranty, but we had an extended warranty plan that paid for a new one. Extended warranty also paid for an awning motor and installation, and two dump valves installed.