Battery charge problem

Hernandd

Noticed my battery level at 2/3 charge level a couple of hours ago while on generator power. Now my battery level is at zero. Not sure why my batteries are not charging while on generator power. I have a Heartland Cyclone.2017. Any suggestions.

Thanks

Dennis

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

Reset the tinny little black button on the side of the circuit breaker

Jerrod

2b3ee2f615a85090707db96a9c8cccbd.jpg

danemayer

You found 1 breaker. You likely have a row for 4 - 6 breakers covered by red rubber boots. Look for the breakers that have thick wires attached and you'll probably find a teeny tiny reset button. It can be hard to see, so you may have to feel for it.

If you have auto-leveling, cycle the control panel to show +DC voltage. If on generator power, or shore power, the auto-level display should show 13.2-13.6 VDC. If it's showing less, there's no power from the Power Converter. That could mean the little breaker we're talking about is tripped. Or perhaps the blade fuses located on the Power Converter are blown, or perhaps the 120V AC circuit breaker in your main panel has a breaker tripped that supplies 120V AC to the Power Converter, or the Power Converter is unplugged, or one of the breakers on the front of the generator is tripped.

It's most commonly the little 12V DC mini-circuit breaker.

Some additional resources are our 12V Block Diagram and Diagnostic guide, and our Electrical user guide.

LBR

Don't be surprised if you don't have that manual reset on your main breaker. Seems like the monkey who installed our 2017 CY breakers and wiring had a bad day also. No manual resettable CB in mine at all....have looked and triple checked, but that main is auto-reset.

I also had the typical hydraulic pump CB kicking on and off syndrome while using leveling jacks, so purchased a NAPA 50A CB to swap in it's place and see if it helped before upgrading to the 80A CB many have done. Went to swap the new CB in and, well, seems like the wiring monkey installed a 30A in my hydraulic circuit instead of a 50A. The hydraulic pump hasn't skipped a beat since having it's proper 50A instead of factory installed 30A CB. I now wonder if I have a 50A CB in a 30A circuit....gotta check that someday.

Good luck tracing down the problem...and if you pull down the back wall of the pass thru, you may simply find the convertor is unplugged.

Hernandd

Sorry for the late response but after a whole lot of looking and feeling around I could not find any breaker reset button. I feel I am having a power converter problem. While on generator power and batteries at zero the generator shut down. Had to jump start with my truck battery to get it running again. As soon as I disconnected the jumper cables and after a few seconds the generator shut down again. I also lost all 12 volt lights too. I reconnected the jumper cables to the batteries again and left them connected for about 10 min to put a charge on the trailer batteries and then restarted the generator. The generator stayed on as long as the batteries had power to keep the fuel pump running.
My best guess is that the power converter in not working and not supplying any 12 volt power to keep the fuel pump running and charging the batteries.
Any thoughts on my diagnosis.

NWILSON

Kentucky Chapter Leaders - retired
Went to swap the new CB in and, well, seems like the wiring monkey installed a 30A in my hydraulic circuit instead of a 50A. The hydraulic pump hasn't skipped a beat since having it's proper 50A instead of factory installed 30A CB. I now wonder if I have a 50A CB in a 30A circuit....gotta check that someday.

Good luck tracing down the problem...and if you pull down the back wall of the pass thru, you may simply find the convertor is unplugged.
Our '17 4150 also had a 30A breaker on the hydraulic pump.
There will probably be an access port in the back wall of the basement to allow you to check the plug for the converter. You might try checking that outlet to confirm 110 is available for your converter while you're there.

RickL

Make sure the plug to the converter is plugged in. Mine looked like it was in but after pushing on it I could see it was barely hanging in there. As it wasn’t easy to get to you have to really check and not assume.

LBR

Sorry for the late response but after a whole lot of looking and feeling around I could not find any breaker reset button. I feel I am having a power converter problem. While on generator power and batteries at zero the generator shut down. Had to jump start with my truck battery to get it running again. As soon as I disconnected the jumper cables and after a few seconds the generator shut down again. I also lost all 12 volt lights too. I reconnected the jumper cables to the batteries again and left them connected for about 10 min to put a charge on the trailer batteries and then restarted the generator. The generator stayed on as long as the batteries had power to keep the fuel pump running.
My best guess is that the power converter in not working and not supplying any 12 volt power to keep the fuel pump running and charging the batteries.
Any thoughts on my diagnosis.

Do you have any 120V switches OFF in your breaker panel?.... if so, turn them on and reevaluate. I would also shut everything off in the coach, shut off the main switch, then flip every single switch off/on, and turn the main back on. The converter breaker switch may be tripped but can look like it is OK.

Hernandd

Sorry for the late response as it has been several months since I used my trailer. I found the inverter behind a wall panel in the basement and yes the power plug had fallen out of the outlet. For some unknown reason the manufacturer decided to install the power outlet on the ceiling so the inverter plug dangles under the outlet and the weight of the power cable eventually cause the plug to fall out of the outlet. I plugged in power cord and used plastic cable ties to secure the plug to the outlet.

Thanks

LBR

Sorry for the late response as it has been several months since I used my trailer. I found the inverter behind a wall panel in the basement and yes the power plug had fallen out of the outlet. For some unknown reason the manufacturer decided to install the power outlet on the ceiling so the inverter plug dangles under the outlet and the weight of the power cable eventually cause the plug to fall out of the outlet. I plugged in power cord and used plastic cable ties to secure the plug to the outlet.

Thanks

Glad you found the issue...many/most of the plugins are "aimed" downward and the plugs can jiggle loose...tis the reason it gets mentioned as a common remedy. Plastic zip ties are the bomb to keep it plugged it.

I spent the better part of a full day with our new CY tearing apart all the panels and tightening/inspection every plumbing and electrical (120 volt and 12 volt) connections I could find....even tore apart all transfer switches and tightened lugs. I felt it was one of my best days ever working on the infrastructure of our CY.

Just a respectful word....you plugged in your CONVERTER, not your inverter...2 complete different components to never mistake when conversing with anyone.