Way to Override the Water Heater Thermostat Setting?

kampfirekid

We are a little disappointed in the hot water heater on our 31BHD. With the water heater capacity being limited to 6 gallons, I used to turn up the temperature on our last trailer so we'd use less hot water and more cold to prolong the length of shower time. This was especially helpful when trying to bathe young kids who can't control their use of "limited rv water". This 31BHD is not adjustable due to the Feds mandates on scalding potentials. My wife and I both showered this weekend without using any cold water. Is something wrong? Can we turn up the heater? I'd think 130 degrees would be hot, but ours apparently is not.

SmokeyBare

Run both Electric (if your plugged in) and Gas together... that will increase the amount of Hot water available.

Marv

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
kampfirekid, when you showered without cold water, was your water heater at the end of it's heating cycle? Our water gets so hot it will scald us. You may have a problem with the heater and need to get it checked out. Like Marv said, using both the elec and lp at the same time should at least speed the recovery time.

hawkfans

Don't know if the 31bhd has the same water heater bypass as a 28rls, but ours was partially bypassed from the factory [hot water was luke warm at best]. They had left the valve in the connecting pipe between the hot and cold lines open, now we have very hot water even with the thermostat preset from the factory.

TXBobcat

Fulltime
One thing also, if you happen to leave the shower head water turned off and the water turned on, you will not get very hot water. Once I forgot to turn the water off but left the water shut off on the head turned on and had very little hot water. Called the dealer and he suggested that I check the shower valves. Turned them off and in a short time I had hot water..

One thing, my hot water is very hot.. I had thought of turning it down...
Hope you find out the problem..

kampfirekid

Thanks for the replies. I purposely made sure the water heater had shut off so it's cycle was done. We also shut the water off at the faucet, unless we are in the shower taking a shower. As for the electric, our unit is gas only. The North Trails started to receive the gas/electric combo water heaters in the later build 2009 models along with the diamond plate front panel and new graphics. We have an early build 2009 model without these features. I may heat up the water heater in the driveway and put a thermometer in the water to see if it actually reaches the 130 degree setpoint (according to the manual). I'm thinking it won't. Thanks for the replies and help.

irvin56

as hawkfans mentioned

make sure the bypass valve is closed. mine was when i picked up our 31qbs. and a lot of other people had the same thing. My hw supply is hot hot hot and we wait about 15 mins between showers and have lot of hw.