Furrion Backup vs Observation Camera - difference?

Bwalls318

Hi Group!
We purchased our Cyclone 4005 HD with S5(?no idea what that is)package. We are looking to get feedback on the best camera to install. I see Furrion has Observation camera and then I see some say backup camera...is there a difference and do any of you have a recommendation? The trouble we are running into with most, is the distance they pick up..most are 30’...our rig, without truck is 44’. All suggestions are greatly appreciated!

Rob and Bev Walls

jbeletti

Welcome!

I believe you will find that generally speaking...

Backup camera is suitable for just that - backing

Observation camera is suitable for backing and for observing behind the coach as you are moving down the road

I believe the Observation camera has a faster processor and higher power transmitter. A call to Furrion would bear that out. Note too that some here have changed out the OEM camera antenna with a taller one to allow it to peak out above the roof line and improve received signal in the cab of the truck at the monitor/receiver.

CoveredWagon

You want a recommendation no long stories, no bla bla bla. Get observation camera. 😂
If you buy from Amazon, I believe the one with the camera mount is actually less expensive. At least it was when I purchased mine.

PondSkum

To answer your question the difference is the back up camera only works when you are backing up in reverse. The observation can be on all the time, even while driving on the highway to "observe" what's behind you. If/when I get a camera, it will be the observation camera, as they also help you with making lane changes, as you can see what's back there better.

avvidclif

I don't know if my Furrion is labelled as a backup or observation camera. The display is always on when plugged in and if the camera is on it works. My camera is wired to the parking light so if I want it on I turn on the parking lights, If it were wired to the backup lights it would only be on in reverse. Without checking I would bet most wireless cameras are running the max power allowed by the FCC. On mine it's abt 45' from the back of the RV to the dash mounted monitor and it works fine. Well it did until the monitor took a dump. Working on looking at it one day. Sigh.

RossRagan

My TT was prewired from the factory with the Furrion camera mount. The factory wired the mount into the vehicle lighting so it is powered as long as lights are on; i.e., it is wired for the observation camera. I purchased the Furrion observation camera and was a bit disappointed at the display size and the fact that it only allowed a view back about 50 feet behind the TT; which is adequate for checking lane clearance for a lane change, I guess. It does work fine for backing, though, which was my main purpose for the camera.

RickL

My TT was prewired from the factory with the Furrion camera mount. The factory wired the mount into the vehicle lighting so it is powered as long as lights are on; i.e., it is wired for the observation camera. I purchased the Furrion observation camera and was a bit disappointed at the display size and the fact that it only allowed a view back about 50 feet behind the TT; which is adequate for checking lane clearance for a lane change, I guess. It does work fine for backing, though, which was my main purpose for the camera.

I had the same issue. When I tried adjusting it the first time I thought I was going to break the plastic. But after a month of just seeing that 50 ft, I crawled up there and rotated the camera up one notch. Now I can see behind the rig approx 200+ ft. It’s great for switching lanes now.

To the OP my take is go with the observation choice.

LBR

Can you not swivel the camera upward a skooch for more distance?

RossRagan

Can you not swivel the camera upward a skooch for more distance?

When I installed it, I thought I had it fully elevated, but, according to RickL, there may be one more notch to go. I will check it out when I get the opportunity.

I had the same issue. When I tried adjusting it the first time I thought I was going to break the plastic. But after a month of just seeing that 50 ft, I crawled up there and rotated the camera up one notch. Now I can see behind the rig approx 200+ ft. It’s great for switching lanes now.

To the OP my take is go with the observation choice.

pjones1969

Observation camera for sure, works fine with our 43ft. Cyclone 3800, great for lane changing as mentioned already.

It drops signal sometimes while rolling but just for a second or two, I’m guessing it’s some kind of interference along the roadway causing that (powerlines, bridges, etc.). When not hooked up I can get a good 200-300 foot away before the camera signal drops.

Look in your front bay for an empty fuse holder like the one in the pic below, mine required a fuse to be installed (10amp) in order for the camera to get power, it was not wired to the running lights.

Attachments

• 751F4D4F-C509-4C87-A7A7-3961ECA5BE26.jpg
    751F4D4F-C509-4C87-A7A7-3961ECA5BE26.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 58

avvidclif

A hint. My monitor would not turn on last time I tried it. After reading and posting in this thread yesterday I decided to see what was going on. After testing I found there was only 3v going to the monitor when hooked up (measured inside the monitor). Hmm Measured 13v at the end of the power cord but only 3v when plugged in. Long story short although the fuse looked and checked good it had decided it was a resistor. Replaced the fuse and all was good.

pegmikef

A hint. My monitor would not turn on last time I tried it. After reading and posting in this thread yesterday I decided to see what was going on. After testing I found there was only 3v going to the monitor when hooked up (measured inside the monitor). Hmm Measured 13v at the end of the power cord but only 3v when plugged in. Long story short although the fuse looked and checked good it had decided it was a resistor. Replaced the fuse and all was good.

Are we speaking of the Furion Monitor? If so, where is the fuse? Mine is doing the same thing. Just stopped working one day when we plugged it in.

SD08ER

If someone has changed the antenna on the Furrion camera can you please tell me where and what one you used?

jimpav

...............After winning the bid at the Michigan rally for the Furrion camera, I found out it was a "backup" camera,(without bracket and power wire) not an "observation" camera. Called Lippert, who referred me to Furrion, to try to upgrade to the "observation" camera. I was told this "backup" camera is obsolete, and I could not upgrade to a current model. Furrion has a new model that integrates your ICC marker light for $360, which is nice. We will be trying out the camera next week, so curious how it will perform.

avvidclif

Are we speaking of the Furion Monitor? If so, where is the fuse? Mine is doing the same thing. Just stopped working one day when we plugged it in.

Unscrew the metal tip of the accy plug(goes into the car). It's a metric size fuse.

LBR

If someone has changed the antenna on the Furrion camera can you please tell me where and what one you used?

I installed an advertised 9 or 10 Db gain antenna on the camera and also on the monitor. Cleared up 99% of all in-motion dropout issues.

On the camera, the antenna won't stay upward because of the wind, so I angled it down. This also keeps it from being hit by any branches The rear deck motorized awning misses it as well as our ramp door of our CY.

The monitor is placed on driver's side of mirror and the antenna sneaks almost to the far side of mirror. One has to really look at the pic to even see it...blends in perfectly.

These antennas are from my old wireless security system and I purchased them several years ago from an online electronic outlet. Will research back and try to find where I bought them from.
96b5a1a98ed24fccf0c62a2689c4868d.jpg
4b945978dcef6aa956bf3036ab563ca9.jpg

"Hi-Viz" Bill

I installed an advertised 9 or 10 Db gain antenna on the camera and also on the monitor. Cleared up 99% of all in-motion dropout issues.

On the camera, the antenna won't stay upward because of the wind, so I angled it down. This also keeps it from being hit by any branches The rear deck motorized awning misses it as well as our ramp door of our CY.

The monitor is placed on driver's side of mirror and the antenna sneaks almost to the far side of mirror. One has to really look at the pic to even see it...blends in perfectly.

These antennas are from my old wireless security system and I purchased them several years ago from an online electronic outlet. Will research back and try to find where I bought them from.
96b5a1a98ed24fccf0c62a2689c4868d.jpg
4b945978dcef6aa956bf3036ab563ca9.jpg

LBR !!! Could this "possibly" be the same antennas ??? .. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00NV807XS/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Thanks

jerryjay11

Right from etrailer.com:

[FONT=&quot]The biggest difference between the part # FRC12TA-BL and [/FONT]# FOS48TA-BL[FONT=&quot] is that the part [/FONT]# FOS48TA-BL[FONT=&quot] has quick computer processor which allows the video quality to be much higher. Aside from that either can be used for reverse camera or observation.[/FONT]